UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 25th Oct 2014, 1:41 pm   #1
oldmoley1
Tetrode

Default Telephone 275A mk2

Has anyone seen/have any knowledge of the above test phone please? I have seen a photograph of one, which appears to be a 705 linesman's phone with a few extra switch panels added. Is this an official model, or a home-brewed job?
Old 25th Oct 2014, 6:05 pm   #2
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: Telephone 275A mk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmoley1 View Post
Has anyone seen/have any knowledge of the above test phone please? I have seen a photograph of one, which appears to be a 705 linesman's phone with a few extra switch panels added. Is this an official model, or a home-brewed job?
I assume you mean a Telephone No 704 ? The Tele 705 is a Pay on Answer payphone.

I can find no reference to such a Telephone 275 in my copies of the GPO/PO's 'Vocabulary of Engineering Stores' or my thousands of 'N' diagrams. Nor have I ever come across one in my 50+ years in telecoms.

There is what at first glance looks like a Tele 704 but on closer examination it is a Tester used with PCM - can't remember the number or find the one in the loft .

Where is the information that it is a Tele 275A found? Where can the photo be found?

Ian
Old 25th Oct 2014, 6:31 pm   #3
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

It looks to me like the modifications were done professionally but by whom and to what end is a mystery.

- Joe
Old 25th Oct 2014, 6:43 pm   #4
oldmoley1
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellseinydd View Post
I assume you mean a Telephone No 704 ? The Tele 705 is a Pay on Answer payphone.
Thanks Ian. Sorry, 704 is what I meant, finger trouble again! Photo is on eBay. Looks like a modified set to me, but seems to have been well done.

Last edited by AC/HL; 25th Oct 2014 at 8:14 pm. Reason: Forum rule C1
Old 25th Oct 2014, 6:48 pm   #5
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePillenwerfer View Post
It looks to me like the modifications were done professionally but by whom and to what end is a mystery.
If it is the item just finishing on eBay - item No 161455321883 - that is the item I mentioned previously which is a 'Tester 275A' according to the Vocabulary of Engineering Stores and used for testing PCM circuits as previously mentioned.

Ian
Old 25th Oct 2014, 7:35 pm   #6
oldmoley1
Tetrode

Many thanks. Another mystery solved!
Closed Thread