UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Oct 2014, 2:02 pm   #1
G4XWDJim
Octode

Default Panel finishing.

When using Letraset or Inkjet based Crafty Computer Paper it's usual to finish off with a coat or two of lacquer. I'm getting close to the end of my last spray can of Maplin's clear PCB lacquer and am looking for a replacement. It's still available I believe but I'd like to look elsewhere.

Most car spray cans these days seem to be acrylic so does anyone know if that is suitable for spraying over Letraset. Older car spray cans of cellulose would react badly and ruin the work. Has anyone tried a clear acrylic spray for this purpose.

Jim

Last edited by paulsherwin; 24th Oct 2014 at 2:19 pm.
Old 24th Oct 2014, 2:12 pm   #2

Default Re: Panel finishing.

Yes I have, it (the acrylic) does react a bit with Letraset, a couple of very light coats first does the trick. It is more of a 'not sticking to' rather than a crinkle of the letters.

Old 25th Oct 2014, 4:52 pm   #3
Audio1950
Dekatron

I can't comment on the effect of acrylic lacquer on Letraset, but it works beautifully on Crafty Computer Paper. I give it a couple of "mist" coats, then a couple of slightly heavier ones, just to make sure the whole transfer is coated.

Barry
Old 25th Oct 2014, 11:17 pm   #4
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

I've used acrylic lacquer over Letraset with no problem before now.
Black acrylic paint, white Letraset, half a dozen coats of lacquer looks very nice, though I say it myself!
Addendum: I've had less success on wood - used it to refinish a Pye Black Box, and the finish crazed after a few months.
Old 26th Oct 2014, 3:21 am   #5
kellys_eye
Octode

Has anyone tried printing the whole panel using Word (or similar)? I've done this in the past and then cut holes for the controls and placed the sheet behind a thin perspex panel similarly cut for controls.

Obviously using a more accurate method for on-screen measurement and hole placement would improve the technique (it's been a number of years since I last made one) but the likes of Google Sketchup could do this quite nicely. Using a quality printer, photo-mode and gloss finish results in a very professional fiinish.

It looks and works beautifully - until you get water behind it! Mabye I should have lacquered it as well?? Fortunately that's only ever happened once with me.
Old 26th Oct 2014, 11:47 am   #6
G4XWDJim
Octode

Thanks for the comments chaps. I'll get some acrylic lacquer and give it a try although with the difficulty of getting Letraset or an equivalent these days it might be something I have to give up soon.

The Maplin PCB varnish although I've used it regularly takes a long time to completely dry, feeling tacky for a day or two which slows down the work rate.

Jim
Old 26th Oct 2014, 12:33 pm   #7
mole42uk
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellys_eye View Post
Has anyone tried printing the whole panel
I have done this a few times with Adobe Illustrator, printing both onto photo paper and plain paper, covering that with a heavy transparent sticky-back plastic wrapped around the panel edges. I have so much trouble moving text and images in Word that I try to avoid it!

Latterly I've been using inkjet-printable transfer sheets and spray-coating those with lacquer. This is not quite as easy to do with a big panel because the 'decal' sheets are not easy to handle in larger sizes. I have resorted to cutting out the individual areas of transfer before placing them in the correct place, but then you can see the edges after it's been lacquered.

I'm just planning the panel for a 3U rack-mount case, so there may be an update before long, especially if I get an A3 page through my printer.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 26th Oct 2014, 12:58 pm   #8
lesmw0sec
Octode

Just a thought - I have a lovely old Taylor-Hobson engraving machine here which anyone is welcome to use if in the near of Anglesey.

Les.
Old 26th Oct 2014, 1:34 pm   #9
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellys_eye View Post
Has anyone tried printing the whole panel using Word (or similar)?
I've followed this approach [using MS Visio - it has a load of pre-defined symbol-sets and also a "snap-to" grid for positioning text/graphics correctly] then printing the result on transparency-film (the stuff which people used to use back in the days when presentations were given on overhead-projectors).

For protection - a 2mm sheet of 'Lexan' polycarbonate fitted over the entire front panel works well, and looks particularly good when held on using 3mm 'domed' nuts.
Old 26th Oct 2014, 4:11 pm   #10
G4XWDJim
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmw0sec View Post
Just a thought - I have a lovely old Taylor-Hobson engraving machine here which anyone is welcome to use if in the near of Anglesey
Wonderful machine. I used to use one as a young lad, still have a couple of cutters. I quite often forgot to lift the tool when moving to the next letter and ruined the panel. GRRR !!!

Jim
Old 26th Oct 2014, 5:43 pm   #11
Rod H
Triode

I have successfully used clear acrylic lacquer in the past, but lately I prefer to print the front panel design on good quality plain paper and then laminate (using 150 micron lamination pouches). Cut-outs can then be made using a craft knife or paper hole punches (ideal for LEDs). The resulting laminate is sufficiently strong to be able to cover any unwanted holes on front panels, meaning that previously used scraps of aluminium can often be recycled for front panels. The laminate is also moderately scratch resistant and can be easily cleaned with a damp cloth. I have attached pictures of a bench power supply and pantry transmitter which have been given the laminated fascia treatment. I usually use Open Office 'Drawing' to produce the fascia design.

Rod
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030178-Resized.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	99235   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030179-Resized.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	99236  
Old 26th Oct 2014, 6:44 pm   #12

You can get matt and textured laminating pouches too.

Old 26th Oct 2014, 10:55 pm   #13
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

My approach to printng whole panel legends is to use OHP transparency film. If printed in reverse, the image is protected, and the edges are easily disguised by trim of some sort.
Old 27th Oct 2014, 8:10 am   #14
lesmw0sec
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4XWDJim View Post
Wonderful machine. I used to use one as a young lad, still have a couple of cutters. I quite often forgot to lift the tool when moving to the next letter and ruined the panel.
I plead guilty to having done that as well :-(
Closed Thread