UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Sep 2014, 6:36 am   #1
nettgendorfer
Retired Dormant Member

Default Basic Help needed in building a 819 lines converter PC

Hello,
since several months, I am experimenting in building a PC that I could use as a 819 lines converter. I am at a point where I cannot continue without help.

I have a working VGA combiner and a system E modulator - but a lot of trouble with the PC

My main problems: appropriate Graphic board for 1016x738/25i, finding the correct version of KnoppMYTH (links are outdated) and a working Linux version. Alternatively: appropriate Graphic board that can be controlled by Power Strip under Windows7.

My experiences:
Windows7:
I have tried to find the correct output timings. The built-in graphhic board (AMD) didn't survive it. A Nvidia graphic board (GT 7600) with Power Strip or withe the Nvidia control center doesn't allow to save the ne settings and timings. A Matrox graphic board (P650) cannot be tuned into a 25i resolution by Power Strip or by the Matrox driver.
Linux (Mint 17)
First of all: since the mid-90, I am a Windows user. I have experimented with Linux because I was hoping to find a way to edit the modelines but I don't understand a lot of working with a command line terminal. So I tried my best.
After the first automatic update of LM17, I had a completely black screen with my Nvidia Graphic board. Seems that the board ist not supported by the Linux driver.
My Matrox P 650 is accepted but in the German user forum, I had to learn that such an old board (note: it works perfectly...) is not supported any more. No chance to change the automatically set video parameters.
LM17 comes without Xserver. Whe I tried to install it, the result was an error message.
For the moment I see two ways out:
- under Windows, I need a tip which graphic board to use (that definitively can be controlled by Power Strip).
- under Linux, I need a Linux version that supports XServer (and following probably some basic Linux help), I need MythTV and an appropriate graphic board.
Lots of text now, with a tiny little question at the end:
WHO CAN HELP?

Thank you in advance!

uwe
PS.: my written German and French are definitively better than my English! Please excuse some unusual expressions...
Old 9th Sep 2014, 8:51 am   #2
Station X

Default Re: Basic Help needed in building a 819 lines converter PC

Use the Google search box at the top of this page to search on "FOTH". The threads found may help.

http://www.g1jbg.co.uk/fothtv.htm

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 9th Sep 2014, 9:55 am   #3
SteveCG
Nonode

Could I suggest that you try an older version of Fedora Linux - I would try Fedora 13 as a start - that is, one that is of similar age of the video card. I mention Fedora because it seems to be well supported. I've no doubt that others on the Forum will recommend their own versions of Linux!
Old 9th Sep 2014, 10:28 am   #4
nettgendorfer
Retired Dormant Member

@SteveCG: Thank you, for the info.
Your answer is what I was afraid of...
Before I'll make myself unhappy with another Linux distribution an even more using the command line console, I'd rather buy a recent graphic board that can be tortured so far that it produces the 819 lines video signal. This would give me the possiblility to experiment with Windows7/PowerStrip, too. Even so you might not like it - it's the world I am familiar with...

@Station X. Thank you for the link, too, that's where I've found the basic informations.
Meanwhile, I've found a variety of distributions that come with MYTHTV - could I try any of them if there is no other solution to my problems?
Old 9th Sep 2014, 11:45 am   #5
SteveCG
Nonode

nettgendorfer,

No, I don't mind if you want to use Windows 7 with a new card. My experience has been that the software should be a year or two younger than the hardware for your best chance of success. The time gap gives the driver writers the chance to get to grips with the new hardware.
Closed Thread