UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Sep 2017, 11:24 pm   #1
ricard
Octode

Default Philips EL3510 flywheel tyre - ideas?

Having gotten out my Philips EL3510 the other day and noted that the flywheel tyre really needs to be replaced - the old material (probably the same as used for the friction studs under the reel older of later Philips machines such as the EL3541 and EL3542, as it deteriorates in the same way) is really starting to crumble.

The tyre holds the main drive belt, which unusually enough is of the spring type, driving the reel holders (the flywheel itself is driven from the motor via a small rubber idler).

I had a donor machine apart today, where someone has already removed the tyre. It runs in a groove which is 7 mm wide and 5 mm deep, and there is a V-shaped cut in the middle of it for the belt. The cut is about 3.5 mm deep and I believe 3 mm wide. The diameter of the flywheel itself is 95 mm, hence the inner diameter of the tyre is 85 mm.

Question is now, where to get a replacement. I was consider building something using o-rings of various dimensions, but I've sortof put that out of my head for now. I tried using self-vulcanizing tape which wasn't half bad, but the resulting groove was not deep enough and I fear the belt will come off.

I'm hoping to find some form of rubber gasket which might fit. Perhaps something with a 7 x 5 mm square section, which could then be machined to form the V-shaped groove. I've looked around a bit, but I think the type of part I'm looking for would be a specific spare part for some completely different usage, and probably only searchable using its spare part number.

So my question to the forum: any ideas where to find something that would fit or could be pressed into service with a bit of modification?
Old 5th Sep 2017, 9:03 am   #2
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Default Re: Philips EL3510 flywheel tyre - ideas?

Just a mad idea here.. but you could perhaps adapt a suitable size sealing ring found in a gutter connection? something like this... http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Black...acket/p/431871 .The gutter sealing rings seen here have a seating groove behind...Gutter fittings by 'OSMA' tend to have wider gaps on their sealing rings which might just suit your (I think) wire type belt.

Apparently the EL3510 is difficult to dismantle so if you could get it on and then glue the join it might save a lot of bother?

Last edited by cheerfulcharlie; 5th Sep 2017 at 9:14 am.
Old 5th Sep 2017, 11:13 pm   #3
ricard
Octode

Thanks for the idea. Not to sure about the actual shape though. The spring belt comes at an angle when it approaches and laves the flywheel (trying to explain it simply: there are two grooves on the flywheel, and the reel pulleys are half way between them. The reason there are two grooves is because the spring belt crosses over itself on the supply reel side, so there has to be some vertical separation so it doesn't rub against itself.

As such, the groove in the flywheel tyre is quite deep, and has a tapered edge to guide the belt into place.

Getting at the groove when the machine is in one piece is if anything more awkward than dismantling it - the flywheel basically sits in its own little compartment with cutouts for the belts and motor idler, but not much else. As such it is really awkward to get at. Although taking apart the machine is indeed a pain, it's not totally undoable (and I've already tried it on the donor machine as a practice run).

BTW, the actual diameter of the belt coil is 2 mm in case anyone is wondering (perhaps someone doing a future search through the forum). As such, the width of the groove is probably closer to 2 than the 3 mm I originally thought.
Old 7th Sep 2017, 12:22 am   #4
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Just in case you cannot find anything else ,here are some pics of the OSMA brown gutter with the seal. The second pic shows behind the seal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gutter1.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	149067   Click image for larger version

Name:	gutter2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	149068  
Old 8th Sep 2017, 7:15 pm   #5
ricard
Octode

Thanks for the closeups. It's hard to see on the images available in web stores.
Old 8th Sep 2017, 9:01 pm   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Could you perhaps use adhesive-lined heatshrink sleeve? Put one long piece over the entire length of the flywheel so it provides a base, then a couple of shorter lengths with a gap between them to provide the 'flanges' to constrain the belt's movement?
Closed Thread