UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Old 12th Mar 2024, 12:19 am   #1
lloydwells
Heptode

Default Schaub lorenz 5001 relay / sound help please.

I've just acquired one of these very odd 1960s 5001 music centres initially it did nothing it turned out the internal fuses had corroded anyway sorted that dosed it up on switch cleaner and now I have radio and it sounds good when switched to tape the mechanism is working perfectly but the sound has what sounds like radio interference although obviously it isn't. This is apparent as soon as the machine is switched to tape and whether the tape Is playing or stationary. Obviously it's not the amp itself as the radio is fine. Now I've found a bank of relays under the chassis and wondered if it may be to do with these? I can't seem to. Make head nor tail of them. On the diagram but I'm assuming one or more is used to. Switch between tape and radio as the radio cuts back in when you press stop on the tape. Has anyone dealt with one of these please.
lloydwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2024, 3:56 pm   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Schaub lorenz 5001 relay / sound help please.

No actual hands on with the 5001, me and others did try to help another 5001 owner some time ago.

A very interesting unit but looks complex particulary the mechanical side.

The 5001/5005 manual "Descriptions of Electrical & Mechanical Functions "provides details on the powering of the Receiver and the Recorder. I would study that and look at the schematics to try and work out why the radio appears to be still powered when recorder operation is selected, it may well be a hard slog.

David
DMcMahon is offline   Reply With Quote