UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Aug 2017, 4:44 pm   #1
AlanC
Hexode

Default Old radios in Budapest bar

I'm on holiday in Budapest and stumbled across a bar/restaurant with vintage radios as non-working table decorations! It's called the Ibolya Presszo, on Gazdag Ibolya Kft.

The guys there were mildly amused by my interest in their old radios, and didn't mind me taking the photos- apologies for the quality it was dark in there and I only had my phone with me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170811_152238417.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	147683   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170811_152256890.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	147684   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170811_152306454.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	147685   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170811_152320534.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	147686  
Old 11th Aug 2017, 5:26 pm   #2
wireless_john
Heptode

Default Re: Old radios in Budapest bar

I too have seen old radios in various places on city breaks. Always interesting! I also find the staff in general are completely disinterested and on occasion, had I been able to get it home, I would have made an offer for one!!
Old 11th Aug 2017, 6:23 pm   #3
AlanC
Hexode

Haha John I know- the same thought briefly crossed my mind, only to be replaced a second or two later with others about excess baggage charges, explaining to the other half, etc... Quickly dismissed!
Old 12th Aug 2017, 7:24 am   #4
wireless_john
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
Haha John I know- the same thought briefly crossed my mind, only to be replaced a second or two later with others about excess baggage charges, explaining to the other half, etc... Quickly dismissed!

Exactly that!!
Old 12th Aug 2017, 9:29 am   #5
MurphyNut
Heptode

In the UK I've noticed old radios appearing as ornaments in retro themed places.
One local coffee shop has a rather tatty 1940's HMV set with a CD player perched on top playing old music. It would be so much better if the music was coming out of the radio and the CD player out of sight.
Old 12th Aug 2017, 11:57 am   #6
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Old radios in Budapest bar

Hi,
I was told, years ago, that there was a pub in Ripon, North Yorkshire that had old radios around the place. Alas, I never got to go, but often wondered if they were still there. Probably not after all this time.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 12th Aug 2017, 12:24 pm   #7
bobskie
Hexode

I know of a charity shop in North Berwick who have two as small tables, a nice 1930's cossor and another I couldn't identify. Obviously due to stupid regulations they can't sell them! Each time I go in I hear them calling to me......
Old 12th Aug 2017, 2:04 pm   #8
eddie_ce
Hexode

Hopefully this will not be judged to be OT.

Whilst travelling on the NYMR in May I stopped off at the Black Swan Inn in Pickering for lunch and was pleasantly suprised to hear background music coming from a 50s radio which I suppose had been modified. All the same it looked quite authentic and not out of place in a cosy country pub. Even the dial light were working.
Old 12th Aug 2017, 2:41 pm   #9
Squipper
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobskie View Post
I know of a charity shop in North Berwick who have two as small tables, a nice 1930's cossor and another I couldn't identify. Obviously due to stupid regulations they can't sell them! Each time I go in I hear them calling to me......
A similar thing happened to me a few months ago in a charity shop close by. They had been gifted a Uni-t scope, it sat there at the side of the counter on the floor, but the shop wasn't legally allowed to sell it. I chatted with the shop manager, who, through a nod and a wink, suggested I might like to put some money in the donation pot on the counter... £50 donation later, I had a very nice new scope!

PAUL - BVWS Member
Old 12th Aug 2017, 3:09 pm   #10
Tom_I
Heptode

I wandered into a tapas bar in Seville last year, to be met by these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5280338a.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	147746  
Old 12th Aug 2017, 4:43 pm   #11
bobskie
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squipper View Post
A similar thing happened to me a few months ago in a charity shop close by. They had been gifted a Uni-t scope, it sat there at the side of the counter on the floor, but the shop wasn't legally allowed to sell it. I chatted with the shop manager, who, through a nod and a wink, suggested I might like to put some money in the donation pot on the counter...
I should really ask I could probably persuade them, trouble is they are a bit big for transporting. I will wait until an opportunity arises when I can get transport then maybe ask. It's ridiculous that these things can't be sold really especially by a charity. A lot of stuff gets thrown out because of that law. They have been in there for years so I don't think they will be going anywhere soon
Old 12th Aug 2017, 6:49 pm   #12
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie_ce View Post
Hopefully this will not be judged to be OT.

Whilst travelling on the NYMR in May I stopped off at the Black Swan Inn in Pickering for lunch and was pleasantly suprised to hear background music coming from a 50s radio which I suppose had been modified. All the same it looked quite authentic and not out of place in a cosy country pub. Even the dial light were working.
No, it's not OT, same thing, different Country! I was there last year, the one in the entrance is certainly an extension for something else, but welcome nevertheless.

Regulations for and/or policies adopted by Charity shops are OT for this thread however, having absolutely nothing to do with it, and have been extensively covered before. Since ambulance chasing lawyers were legalised some time ago this has become a fact of life, and will remain so.
Old 12th Aug 2017, 8:22 pm   #13
Panrock
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
I once encountered a Mir M154 radio in Moscow and purchased it. It was a massive thing to lug, but I got it through customs without difficulty and without any packing. At Heathrow it appeared on the luggage carousel in full splendour, undamaged.

Later completely restored, it found an appreciative home in Brookmans Park.

Steve
Old 12th Aug 2017, 8:43 pm   #14
AC/HL
Dekatron

Ah yes, the joys of business class travel. I did the same thing with an HMV gramophone I found in a car boot sale in Florida many years ago. It raised a few smiles sliding down the chute onto the carousel, but arrived undamaged.
Closed Thread