UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2010, 2:25 am   #1
poolshark
Retired Dormant Member

Default akai 4000ds11, what is the capstan storage post for?

I have an Akai 4000dsmark 2.
having read through the manual trying to find what the
capstan storage post is for, i am still none the wiser.
It juts out above the head compartment and to the left of the capstan.
it looks like the capstan and it can be screwed out.

the manual only names it and gives it a numbered part on the diagram page, but thats the last you read about it.

But what is it's purpose?
Old 21st May 2010, 3:39 am   #2
EMI BTR 3
Tetrode

Default Re: akai 4000ds11, what is the capstan storage post for?

It's for storage of the capstan sleeve. The sleeve, when on the capstan shaft, enables the machine to run at 7 1/2 or 3 3/4 ips. When off the shaft, the speeds are 3 3/4 and 1 7/8, respectively.
Old 21st May 2010, 6:16 am   #3
TIMTAPE
Octode

On many of these Akai reel to reels the speed is changed by slipping a small metal sleeve onto the capstan shaft (just above the rubber pinch roller). On some models there is a knurled screw that holds it in place. On many models, it just slips on and stays by friction, using a small "dog" at its base to engage firmly with the capstan drive.
For the slower speed(s) you remove the sleeve and the problem is that being so small it's easy to lose. Akai wisely made a home for it in that storage post.
Unless others have more wisdom on this, that's about it I think.

Cheers Tim
Old 21st May 2010, 7:12 am   #4
glowinganode
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMTAPE View Post
On many of these Akai reel to reels the speed is changed by slipping a small metal sleeve onto the capstan shaft
For 50/60Hz adjustment?
Rob.
Old 21st May 2010, 7:56 am   #5
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

No, that's done elsewhere - the sleeve selects the tape speed - horrible things.
Old 21st May 2010, 9:32 am   #6
julie_m
Dekatron

It's a convenient place to "park" the capstan sleeve when listening to other people's recordings which were made at 9.5 cm/s.
Old 21st May 2010, 3:06 pm   #7
ricard
Octode

I've always found it odd that such a appearantly upmarket machines as the Akai's use this extremely primitive speed change mechanism. It might have been quaint in the 1960's on the M series, but after that?

/Ricard
Old 21st May 2010, 4:57 pm   #8
Michael Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMI BTR 3 View Post
It's for storage of the capstan sleeve. The sleeve, when on the capstan shaft, enables the machine to run at 7 1/2 or 3 3/4 ips. When off the shaft, the speeds are 3 3/4 and 1 7/8, respectively.
Not exactly. When the capstan sleeve is fitted, the machine runs at 7½ IPS. When the sleeve noton the capstan, the speed is 3¾ IPS.

There are no other tape speeds.
Old 21st May 2010, 5:26 pm   #9
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Thanks Michael, that's what I thought re speeds but as the cam thread is showing up there seems to be many variations on the 4000 theme and I thought 4 speeds might just be one of them. Sorry, can't agree with your "primitive" conclusion Ricard. As with the seperate mechanical/electrical 60/50 Hz switchover on some models, I suspect the surface mount collar was an economy measure. Never found it a problem in use or lost it! When these machines first came out, even detractors had to admit that they were great value for money squeezing "three motor" functions out of a deck with only one. Like Amstrads first affordable PC. Also reminds me of the very high quality Sugden synchrinous record deck which was pared down to a minimum. The sophisticated starter "switch" was a rubber bung that rotated to give the platter a flick and get it rotating [it looked like a switch]. No field winding or fancy additional expense required-still it was a Yorkshire Company. Dave W
Old 22nd May 2010, 11:12 am   #10
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Hi.

Personally, I've always been a bit of a fan of the 4000 series. They can feel a bit 'agricultural' in use but there's no denying they packed in a lot of sound quality for the price. The sleeved capstan was just a cost effective measure to keep production costs down. They were after all, much cheaper than the Revox's et al.

I never found the speed change thing a problem since I was serious about sound quality and only ever used them at 7.5ips!

Just my tuppence worth.

Cheers,
Roger.
Old 22nd May 2010, 12:28 pm   #11
Michael Maurice

One thing about the capstan sleeve, you should only change it when the motor is not running.

If you frequently change it with the motor running, you'll wear the inside bore leading to a knocking noise. You then have to replace the sleeve in which sourcing one might not be so easy.
Old 22nd May 2010, 1:34 pm   #12
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

I have the sleeves Michael if you ever get stuck.

Colin.
Old 22nd May 2010, 1:41 pm   #13
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Good point Michael, also risk of injury! Absolutely right Roger, someone [like my brother] who had no hope of affording something like a Revox could suddenly afford the Akai. They must have well researched the market. Like the Amstrad PC at £300 when the IBM equivalent was about £5k. Dave
Old 22nd May 2010, 1:46 pm   #14
poolshark
Retired Dormant Member

thank you all for the helpful advice.
when i changed the capstan sleeve around it worked perfectly.
the difference in sound quality playing the 7.5 speed tapes
compared to listening to the 3.7/8 is immense.

most of my dads collection were recorded at the lower speeds
1.7/8 and 3.75.
but i purchased a job lot of tapes recorded at 7.5 speed and could not get them to play.
now they are on his machine all the time.

I am really glad I asked, what i thought at the time was a silly question about a storage post.

thank you all again.
steve
Closed Thread