UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Nov 2014, 5:25 pm   #1
chrisbaker
Retired Dormant Member

Default Maplin CW Filter PCB GB19V

Hello
Looking for any info on the above unit, It uses 741 and marked up CW filter wonder if its a SSB/CW notch type filter??

Thanks

Chris
G4LDS
Old 23rd Nov 2014, 7:37 pm   #2

Default Re: Maplin CW Filter PCB GB19V

I would have thought a CW (morse) filter would be a peaking filter at about 800Hz.

Old 24th Nov 2014, 12:29 am   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

It's the 'DXer's Audio Processor' by Robert Penfold. It used one transistor, (BC108), two diodes (1N4148) and five ICs, namely:

1458C - two
CA3080E
741C
TBA820M

If you'd like a copy of the 5-page article, which fetured in 'Maplin Project Book Seven' please PM me and I'll copy and post it to you Chris.

It was designed to be plugged into the audio output socket of a receiver, and has an output socket to accept headphones or a speaker, thus obviating the need for any internal connections to the receiver. Primarily to improve SSB reception in basic wide bandwidth short-wave receivers in poor reception conditions. (The picture shows it plugged into what looks like and Eddystone EB35 which didn't have a BFO, so maybe it was an EC10? Not relevant really).

It's a very old design - 1983 in fact. The same magazine had projects for a ZX81 Modem interface, a VIC20 RS232 interface, and how to use the Commodore 64. The magazine invited readers to visit one of Maplin's five shops - London, Manchester, Birmingham, Southampton and Southend.

Hope that helps.
Old 24th Nov 2014, 1:05 pm   #4
chrisbaker
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the info & help. In my mind! I built a version in the 80's for use with my FT101 unless its a similar version as I remember a 14/16 pin 4 in one op amp!! Had a good notch which I looked at on a spectrum analyzer in my lunchhour at Marconi!!
Old 26th Nov 2014, 1:56 am   #5
m0cemdave
Octode

I think your Notch filter was another Maplin project. It had a single tuning knob and some switches, and was selectable to peak or notch. The chip was probably a TL074 or 084.
Closed Thread