UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2017, 10:15 pm   #1
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default EKCO 15" table model T164. 1952

This 15" Ekco receiver was passed to me by an elderly lady customer some years before the closing of my television shop in 2002. Her late husband had a keen interest in radio and television up to his passing, over three decades before. It had been stored together with a number of other receivers in the loft room of a large Victorian house.

On arriving back at the shop I was tempted to give it a go and plugged it in. It came alive quite quickly but it soon became obvious that illumination on the screen of the Mazda 15" triode tube type CRM152A was only visible with all the room lights extinguished and as no tube was available at that time I decided to put it under the bench in the hope that something might turn up.

About two years after the acquisition I had a telephone call from a gentleman that asked me if I could make use of a couple of CRM153 Mazda 15" tubes that he had discovered when clearing a factory. Of course I jumped at the offer but was surprised to learn where they had originated from. It turned out they had been stored at Mazda's old service dept at Brimsdown!

I drove around the A406 North Circular and collected the two filthy boxes containing the used 153s. To be honest when I saw they were not new I immediately thought 'duff tubes sent for replacement under guarantee'. I brought them back to the shop to be stored with all the other junk in the large room at the back of the old workshop. I never did get around to testing them and when I closed the shop some years later brought them to my new home to be stored for over 15 years till last week.

It was time to have a go at the T164 and the heavy old beast was dragged onto the workbench. As it turned out it had experienced a heavy life needing a lot more attention than one would have expected from a triple link chassis.

The receiver is a 15" table model with 'spot wobble' and resembles it's smaller familiar brother, the T161. The chassis is the super design Ekco 'Triple Link' uprated for use with the 15" circular 2v triode tube.

The very grubby chassis was soon removed, all the interconnections between the cabinet mounted tube assembly and main chassis are by plug and socket. The Ekco Band 3 turret tuner/ITA converter had been very professionally fitted to the side of the cabinet and came away after removing the knobs and station indicator plate. The chassis was put to one side and attention paid to removal of the faulty CRT.

The cabinet was laid face down on a soft cloth and the four 4BA nuts and washers securing the tube cradle were removed. With a bit of juggling the entire assembly was lifted free of the cabinet and placed on the bench for examination.

The original tube was what was known as a wide angle Mazda CRM152A triode with a non tinted white faceplate. It is held in place by a circular, adjustable clamp band, the edge of the CRT bowl being protected by two layers of thick polythene. There is a rubber dust seal between the edge of the CRT and the screen. More of this later..

The gantry clamp bolts were loosened and with some trepidation the ' Iron Maiden' was released from the CRT together with the EHT Visconol, scan coils, focus magnet and spot wobble unit.

The huge bomb was safely placed in a box and placed outside the workshop. The thought of accidentally dropping something on it such as an old mains transformer..Oh stop it!

The gantry required a good clean up together with the protective polythene dust seal. The Visconol had been leaking oil and was removed pending it's rebuild. The cabinet interior was cleaned with the vacuum cleaner then 'damp clothed' to remove all traces of dust that might creep into the viewing area when the whole lot was refitted.

It was time to test the tubes obtained from Brimsdown. To my surprise both had very good emission. They were tetrodes with 12.6v .3amp heaters requiring an ion trap and a first anode voltage of around 400v. Modifications would be required to reduce the flux of the focus magnet. Tetrodes require substantially less focus field than a simple triode. More of this later..

The replacement tube was cleaned and correctly fitted with the EHT connector to the 9oclock position. The dust seal was roughly positioned and with the polythene tape loosely fitted around the tube bowl the gantry was lowered, then the fun started. Re positioning the dust seal was rather like fitting corsets to an oversize lady. When you managed to get one side stretched into place, the other side popped out! Eventually it all fell into place and with everything tightened up, the gantry with it's new CRM153 was fitted snugly back into the cabinet.

The pictures show the removal of the old tube and cleaning before the new CRT was fitted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	142914   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	142915   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	142916   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	142917   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	142918  

Old 20th May 2017, 10:39 pm   #2
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Default Re: EKCO 15" table model T164. 1952

Hi John,
That huge 15" bomb is going to give me nightmares tonight! I've been reading a few threads about these Ekco's recently, as I've now got 2, I bought a T161 last Sunday at the NVCF, and I bought a T.U.211 at the NVCF 2 years ago. The T.U.211 is on the bench currently (well, actually it's on the chair next to the bench!) having a CRT replacement, the old Ediswan badged CRM122 looks like it's got a bit of air in it, so is having a Mullard MW31-16 fitted. I've never done this before, so it's an interesting learning experience, I'm experimenting with where to get the A1 voltage from in the set, and what parts are needed. It's also interesting to see the effect on the picture of the level of A1 voltage, too much and the contrast suffers, too little and the focus gets soft.

Looking at the circuit for the set I think I've found a good point to get the A1 voltage, from the tapping on the Lopt between HT and the top cap of the LOP valve, I've strung a 1 meg resistor, followed by a diode (1n400 something, probably not good for the job!) and then a 0.1uf cap to chassis, then to the tube. This is giving me around 311 volts, which quickly drops with the meter connected! Picture looks good so far, but I'll start a thread asking the experts opinions on it before it gets permanently implemented.

Good fun these Ekco's, I can't wait to get stuck into the T161!

Regards,
Lloyd
Old 21st May 2017, 10:05 am   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The following jottings may be of some help Lloyd.

With the replacement CRT refitted in the cabinet the conversion of the chassis to take the tetrode tube was carried out.

The Ekco T164 like many receiver chassis that employed the early 50's Mazda TV range of B8A valves, required at least two heater chains. The '20' series valves consume 200m/a, the '10' series 100m/a. The two chains are connected in parallel direct from the mains with a 225 ohm resistor in series with the 200m/a chain to balance the load.
Why Mazda did not produce a 300m/a TV series until much later is a mystery we will never solve.

Add to this their failure to produce a boost/damper diode with a suitable heater/cathode insulation is yet another mystery but they appeared to have considerable difficulty in doing so. The U282 in the Ekco requires a well insulated heater winding on a mains transformer to power it and by contemporary fault reports of the time, this winding was prone to breakdown.

The mains transformer also supplied the 2v required by the CRT and 6.3v for the 6L18 spot wobble oscillator, three windings for three valves!
The .3amp heater for the CRT was obtained by breaking the common chassis return of the two chains [V14-V13] and introducing the CRT.
The first anode supply, pin 10 was obtained from the boost rail direct from the + end of C39 the 2uf boost capacitor.

It was time to reintroduce the chassis and attempt to get some life back into this old timer. The mains filter was chopped off and with everything in place the mains was applied. Almost instantly the 100m/a chain lit rather brightly and having experienced this during my early days in the trade knew that it was either an O/C valve heater in the 200m/a chain or much more likely the 225 ohm balancing resistor R81 which measured O/C on the AVO.

A 250 ohm Radiospares 'Power Section' was soon screwed into place and mains once again applied. This time all the valve heaters lit including the CRT but other than a few crackles and a loud hum nothing was doing.

The large smoothing can 100uf + 200uf was completely O/C requiring a search through some large boxes of NOS electrolytics to find a suitable replacement. Luckily after a rummage I discovered an identical capacitor of the same size making an easy job of fitting due to the can being gripped by tongues formed out of the chassis itself. The can size has to be identical if a messy job is to be avoided.

With this fitted most of the complaining had ceased b ut the H.T. was very low at 110V. That valve the U801 was lurking behind the LOPT screened section and looked as if it had experienced a very bad night at the EDISWAN disco back at Brimsdown. It's head was blackened with floaty bits inside the bulb. Nasty! The U801 has four anodes and two cathodes. When used with small screen receivers two anodes are wired as the HT rectifier leaving the other two to act as the boost diode. The larger screen chassis with a separate boost diode employ the full use of all four anodes with a 100 ohm surge limiter connected to each via a common tap on the primary of the mains transformer.
This was all very cosy but when one of the limiters fail the entire HT requirement is supplied from the remaining three sections causing the poor old U801 to sweat. A week or so later another limiter fails resulting in total surrender of the U801 usually in a spectacular firework display and eventual fuse failure. When working correctly the fat U801 looks rather frightening with it's bright 80V heater and four separate anodes.

Checking the 164 proved that one of the 100 ohm resistors was indeed O/C. All four were replaced together with the U801. This resulted in a healthy H.T. supply and with the EHT Visconol disconnected and the added ion trap adjusted, a bright 'raster' was obtained but lacking in height and severely out of focus. It looked promising but was to prove itself to be a difficult customer.

The next posting will show how I modified the very powerful focus magnet to work with the tetrode tube.
Pictures show the gantry assembled with the new CRT, the under chassis view with a huge quantity of capacitors 'that look like resistors' that would have to be dealt with and the early results.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2-1.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	142947   Click image for larger version

Name:	2-2.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	142948   Click image for larger version

Name:	2-3.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	142949   Click image for larger version

Name:	2-4.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	142950   Click image for larger version

Name:	2-5.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	142951  

Old 21st May 2017, 10:41 am   #4
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Nice job John, I probably have met a 164 but have repaired many 161's, never had to change the change the focus magnet before though, will be interested in your mod.

I see that one had an added band 3 converter, we worked many a late night fitting those just before the start of ITV in '55, very neat conversion though.

I understand the principle of 'spot wobble' but all it did for me was to make the picture look out of focus.

Peter
Old 21st May 2017, 7:21 pm   #5
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The next job was to focus that what can only be described as an 'illumination' on the screen. The Mullard notes give all of the information required and only have to be modified slightly for the various models not listed.

It took eight shunts made up and centrally placed across the poles of the focus magnet to reduce the field sufficiently to produce a good focus. They can be seen painted black in the picture. Once correctly focused, fault finding would be much easier or so it should have been.The work continued.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shunts..jpg
Views:	188
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	143011  
Old 21st May 2017, 7:35 pm   #6
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

These are the Mullard data notes for replacing Mazda 2v triode picture tubes with Mullard 6.3v tetrodes. I have added the T161 sheet. John.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mullard (1).jpg
Views:	131
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	143014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mullard (2).jpg
Views:	131
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	143015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mullard (3).jpg
Views:	123
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	143016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mullard (4).jpg
Views:	116
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	143017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mullard (5).jpg
Views:	110
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	143018  

Old 22nd May 2017, 8:33 am   #7
Freya
Octode

How are the shunt pieces kept in position John ?
Old 22nd May 2017, 8:47 am   #8
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

They are held tight with just the magnetism from the focus unit itself. The Mazda triode tubes must have required a very high focus field. It is difficult to remove them once they are in place. If in doubt a dot of Araldite on each end of the 8 shunts would guarantee rigidity.
Taking a close look at the Mazda gun reveals it's simplicity. You could probably have knocked one up on the kitchen table! John.
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:09 am   #9
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Brilliant. I might have thought of that - given time.

Peter
Old 22nd May 2017, 4:20 pm   #10
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Quote HKS: Taking a close look at the Mazda gun reveals it's simplicity. You could probably have knocked one up on the kitchen table!

And here's a close up picture of the gun assembly of a Mazda CRM123 CRT.
The triode gun grid can be clearly seen, or should we call with it's archaic name the Wehnelt electrode. Also noteworthy is the glass pinch to mount the gun assembly.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CRM123GunAssy.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	143083  
Old 22nd May 2017, 9:05 pm   #11
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

It is a remarkably simple gun, am I right in thinking that the anode is formed out of the glass? These tubes are rather light too, I was surprised at the difference between a Mazda and a Mullard, my T.U.211 is much heavier now!

Regards,
Lloyd.
Old 22nd May 2017, 9:06 pm   #12
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

What a miracle David. So simple but look what it's capable of..

With the focus now in good shape It was time to work out a restoration plan.

I had a reasonable line scan but with the aerial connected into the Band 1 aerial socket there was absolutely no trace of any sound or picture.
Rocking the channel turret between a blank position and channel 1 only resulted in the very faintest of a disturbance just visible on the tube face.

First things first. Get the frame timebase working correctly to produce a decent raster of reasonable linearity. This was quite a simple task involving the slow replacement of every paper/wax/oil capacitor in the frame oscillator/output stage. They were all leaking horribly and were replaced with care checking connections to help avoid the inevitable man made faults.

Yes I still do it after 60 years, so don't feel bad about it if you slip up. Draw diagrams of the connections or as we are in this incredible digital age, take loads of pictures to fall back on.

We now had quite a good raster, certainly good enough to resolve a reasonable picture, if I could get that far...

The chassis was festooned with those little torpedo shaped EGEN capacitors that look like resistors. I have never seen so many in an IF strip! They decoupled everything including the Blacksmiths cat and to make things worse, Flyback [my pet Orangutan] insisted on pointing out every one he discovered chimping with delight at my dismay.
I offered him my Antex pencil soldering iron in the hope that he would seize the chance of doing something constructive but he lept from the workbench, jumped up onto a high shelf and continued to pelt me with the last of the PX4s he discovered in a dusty box. Oh well maybe I was expecting too much.

It took ages to replace them all with nice red 1000pf/3000pf ceramic types taking care to position them in exactly the same position as the originals. I think it would have been easier to neuter a blue bottle.. With power applied a vision signal of sorts could be resolved. It was a complete mess. Cogged, no sync, out of shape and only visible with the contrast [gain] control on full.

The Colvern contrast pot turned out to be O/C at the end of it's track and after a mind bending sort through 14 boxes of pots, managed to find a suitable 3k replacement! This cured the dead contrast problem but all the other faults remained. There was no trace of sound but that was only a minor inconvenience considering all the other problems.
Workshop lights off. Tomorrow is another day.
Old 22nd May 2017, 9:57 pm   #13
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi John,
Has your Band 3 converted receiver been modified for vision AGC? There is reference in the 1953/54 R & T servicing book to later versions of the TC178 and TC196. Later sets resembled the T217, Ekco's first 17" receiver. Earlier sets are electrically similar to the T164 and do not have vision AGC.
One thing is clear, the models T161 and T164 determined the bench mark for quality TV receivers throughout the 1950s and on to the early '60s.

DFWB.
Old 23rd May 2017, 6:50 am   #14
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello David, no AGC on this T164. It is the early version unlike my home receiver the TC196. I think Ekco coped with the Mazda valve problem better than others. They just got on with it and made the chassis operate reliably. John.
Old 25th May 2017, 6:46 pm   #15
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

This took a lot of fiddling but was very successful in the end.

Conclusion: A lot of work was required to get this Ekco Triple Link working correctly. The tube is about 80% and I am very happy with that. Imagine the scene on 2nd June 1953 with a room full of neighbours around the big screen Ekco.

The timebases are rock steady as are all Ekco receivers. The picture is bright and very watchable. There is no sign of any form of circuit drift and I have no doubt that it's original owners must have got a lot of pleasure from it. It has had a considerable amount of use, probably from the 'Test Card to the Queen' daily!

The smaller 12" T161 turns up frequently and is a very good receiver. Unfortunately most of them are suffering with a useless CRM121B CRT. The AC/DC version appears to fair better with the odd heater voltage CRM122 [7.2v .3a] The 15" version is harder to find being a much more expensive model.

The spot wobble works as it should but as mentioned by Peter, I don't think the public would have noticed had it been accidently switched off. The close up pictures show the effect. The cabinet is excellent, just a small scratch and easily removed.

A worthwhile restoration but I never thought I was going to get to the end of it.

My school friend's mum had a T164 in the front living room of her house in Raynes Park. It was replaced in 1961 with one of the first 19" Ekco models, it had the controls on the top.

Strange how you remember these things. We used to run to his house and play the radiogram when we should have been on a 'cross country run'. Once when we were on this regular skive there was a knock at the door and you can imagine our horror upon opening the door to come face to face with our PE teacher...

The pictures show: Making the shunts for the focus magnet, the cleaned up chassis, the underside after capacitor replacement, the close up results with the spot wobble tuned off then on and the test card. Regards, John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN7157.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	143227   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7159.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	143228   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7168.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	143229   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7169.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	143230   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7171.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	143231  

Old 25th May 2017, 6:49 pm   #16
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

More pictures showing some of the components replaced.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN7172.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	143232   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7173.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	143233   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7175.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	143234   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7177.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	143235   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7178.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	143236  

Old 25th May 2017, 6:51 pm   #17
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The spot wobble effect. Spot the difference. Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN7183.jpg
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	143237   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7185.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	143238  
Old 25th May 2017, 8:55 pm   #18
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi John,
there's no doubt the spot-wobble does its job well filling the gaps between the lines. Did you have any problems with patterning? Easily fixed by adjusting the frequency of the spot-wobble oscillator.
In terms of screen dimensions, the 15" CRT offers almost the same picture width and height as the 17" rectangular tube. The T164 was replaced in 1953 by the 17" model T217, similar chassis except for a few modifications such as vision AGC. Late production T164 sets also featured vision AGC.

DFWB,
Old 25th May 2017, 9:52 pm   #19
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Hi John,
Great write up, and an excellent result! The test card looks spot on, and the spot-wobble does have an interesting effect.

No doubt your notes will help me revive the T161 I recently picked up! The T.U.211 is going to need a bit more work, lack of contrast, and some issues with the sync need investigating! There's also a weird shading to the picture, the top inch or so is lighter than the rest of the picture, never seen such an effect before.

Regards,
Lloyd
Old 25th May 2017, 10:11 pm   #20
McMurdo
Dekatron

Nice one John. Next time you must pick one that really taxes the grey cells!