UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd May 2017, 10:22 am   #21
Focus Diode
Octode

Default Re: Ultra Bermuda.

Having found the 950 manual I can confirm the height control is the one visible just to the right of the aerial socket.

Going back to Steve's thoughts seeing the CRT has moved from its original position a wire could have broken off on the scan coils. I created frame collapse simply by moving the chassis to the servicing position causing one of the wires to break off.

As Steve says these use wire wrapping. Thorn advise not to attempt wire wrapping but to use ordinary soldered joints.

Come to think of it I had frame problems with my related sets but didn't need to replace the PCL85 (PCL805). This doesn't suggest the one in your set isn't defective of course.

Looking forward to hear how you get on with the CRT fixing repair and the work required.
Pleased Marc has offered his assistance.

Cheers
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Edited_ImageEasyImageEditor_20170523_377.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	143110  
Old 26th May 2017, 7:48 pm   #22
kegnkiwi
Retired Dormant Member

Hi all,

So I have change plc85 with a plc805 as recommended but still no go, I have attached a schematic of the chassis I believe. Please see attached. Should I next be looking for voltage after R101 and r102.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	schematic.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	143301  
Old 26th May 2017, 8:52 pm   #23
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Have you checked the voltages on the valve?
Frank
Old 27th May 2017, 11:41 am   #24
Focus Diode
Octode

Here's an extract from Les Lawry-Johns servicing article from 1968.
Note C100 is mounted close to the boost diode on the far right.

Cheers
Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wp_ss_20170527_0018.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	143419  
Old 28th May 2017, 10:58 pm   #25
kegnkiwi
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Focus thank you attached the doc made an interesting read, after changing the plc805 valve and no difference I have then read one of the main symtoms is r102 going open circuit. I've partly removed the service tray so I can get to the underside to the chassis. I had 75v at one side or r102 but from what I could see nothing the other side. Thought this may cure it so I so made up a little patch lead that I could clip onto the underside of the soldered pins and put a 330k resister in line. Powered it up and herd a sound getting louder like the frame was coming up but it just got loader and loader and on checking the frame is collapsed. Removed the link but now the sound is still there. Not sure what I have done to it but he ho.
Old 29th May 2017, 10:52 am   #26
Focus Diode
Octode

Sounds as if you'll have to change all the components mentioned as, even once you've found the cause of frame collapse the resultant imagine will probably be like this, as taken off screen from my own 900 11" model. Doing that completely cured the problem. Didn't even need a new PCL85 although a low emission one can give a similar display.

What kind of sound are you getting? A loud buzz or hum? Have you tried putting the old PCL85 back in?

Don't forget C100 which is mounted behind the line output transformer close to the PY800. It's a pig to get at unfortunately.

Cheers
Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Edited_ImageEasyImageEditor_20170529_379.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	143507  
Old 1st Jun 2017, 8:38 pm   #27
kegnkiwi
Retired Dormant Member

Pulling the valve plc85 and putting the old valve in stopped the humming, by removing old valve again and putting new plc85 back in also removed the noise. So back to square one but at least no worse. Next will check voltages on pins on plc85. Does anyone knows the pin numbers from the top of the valve base. Does is start at 1 from the gap and work clock wise.
Old 1st Jun 2017, 8:50 pm   #28
julie_m
Dekatron

The convention with valves is to view them from beneath, i.e. looking at the solder tags of the valveholder; the numbers increase clockwise starting from 1 to the right of the gap.

(IC pins are numbered exactly the same way as valve pins but are conventionally viewed from above, so the numbers increase anticlockwise starting from 1 to the left of the notch.)
Old 1st Jun 2017, 9:31 pm   #29
kegnkiwi
Retired Dormant Member

thanks julie m,
Old 21st Jun 2017, 2:50 am   #30
Focus Diode
Octode

Any update?
Closed Thread