UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd May 2017, 3:55 pm   #1
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Default Tyne Television Sets

With Roger Moore passing away I was reminded of an old anecdote about him that maybe truth or legend..or a bit of each?

Christmas day in the Moore household and the TV breaks down..in his desperate plight only one TV engineer came out to him and his name was Derek Tyne who fixed the set and calm was restored.

Ole Rog had been so grateful that Derek had sacrificed his Christmas Day for him (of course he didn't know Derek was Jewish) that he got talking to him and the conversation went on the lines of - sets are such rubbish these days I could probably make a better one- Rog challenged him to do so and then said he would invest in him if he did ..thus came the Tyne Brand Colour TV which many might remember from the 1970s?
Old 23rd May 2017, 4:07 pm   #2
JacKam_
Pentode

Default Re: Sir Roger Moore RIP

Thank you Charlie, not many of us remember these days.

Probably this thread will be moved somwhere else by our moderators.
Old 23rd May 2017, 6:39 pm   #3
stevehertz
Dekatron

If it's true a photo of that Tyne set would be nice - if anyone has one!
Old 23rd May 2017, 6:47 pm   #4
ms660
Dekatron

Some info and pictures here:

https://vintage-radio.com.au/default.asp?f=1&th=836

Lawrence.
Old 23rd May 2017, 8:15 pm   #5
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Tyne Television Sets

Thread retitled.
Old 24th May 2017, 12:37 am   #6
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Tyne television sets were a development of the original "Berryvision" set.
Anyone remember that set?

DFWB.
Old 24th May 2017, 12:00 pm   #7
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
I have a service manual for the Tyne TV. I didn't know they were a development of the Berryvision - was it the 510? I only saw one of these with an awkward frame fault, if I remember. I think it used a TBA800.
They were pretty much a standard design for the time, but I have no idea about their reliability.
Glyn
Old 24th May 2017, 12:21 pm   #8
FERNSEH
Dekatron

I kinda remember the Berryvision employed the Mullard four chip decoder. The set gave a nice bright picture but the EHT regulation was bad.
I actually spoke to Mr Tyne. He was offering his sets at a quite competitive price but somehow no deal was finalised.

DFWB.
Old 24th May 2017, 3:06 pm   #9
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

I do recall reading something about the Tyne sets in 'Television' magazine many years ago.
It seems the chassis layout was similar to the Thorn 3000/3500 and interestingly also used a series chopper for the power supply. A single line output transistor was employed rather than two as in the very early transistor designs. I wonder how well those Sylvania CRTs lasted compared to the life of Mullard or Mazda tubes.

Interesting set and I wonder how many were produced and how many still survive today. By it's low numbers, it has to be an extremely rare set.

Regards
Symon.
Old 24th May 2017, 3:19 pm   #10
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulcharlie View Post
- sets are such rubbish these days I could probably make a better one-
I never came across a "Tyne" set or knew of their existence for that matter. Did he succeed in making a better than average quality set that was more reliable?
Old 24th May 2017, 3:46 pm   #11
DangerMan
Heptode

I remember these sets, both Tyne and Berryvision! <shudder!>
It's a long time ago but as I recall...

The TBA800 frame o/p chip ran very hot indeed and later sets had heatsink fins of sorts fitted. Later ones still had gained an even bigger heatsink, and in those where I had to fit a new chip the heatsinks got bigger still, though to be honest there weren't many of these.
ISTR there was a BD137 or similar in a sort of flyback helper stage... quite a nifty idea at the time.
The linearity was pretty good but how they would have fared later on when the number of teletext data lines kept increasing is anyone's guess.

Main problem I had was the chopper transformer in the Berryvision sets which overheated and melted/went short circuit. Being a series chopper the line stage suffered as well but I never had a lopt or tripler fail. Homewound transformers with next thicker wire gauge and better insulation seemed to cure this.... spares had pretty well dried up by this time.
I have a feeling the line o/p base-drive was taken off the chopper transformer at least in the early sets but as I say it's a long time ago.
The last Tyne set I ever saw had a neat looking single PCB for both smps and line output but with the same operating principles everywhere. Perhaps with a separate line driver transformer methinks.

The i.f. response was decent, and when they were working the Mullard 4 chip decoder delivered good video to the crt, and so the pictures were quite ok.

I always thought they were a valiant effort and customers seemed happy with them but I admit I was a relief when the last of them got pensioned off.

That last one was used as a loan set for donkeys years and never put a foot wrong. Thank goodness.

Pete
Old 24th May 2017, 4:05 pm   #12
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

That's interesting. I assume then that the Tyne and Berryvision were completely different - though obviously having similar designs. I think the set I remember was actually a Berryvision with a small frame board with the infamous TBA800.
I notice that the Tyne literature boasts a Sylvania CRT. If the Korting and late Decca Bradfords are anything to go by many of these sets wouldn't have made it far into the Eighties.
Glyn
Old 24th May 2017, 8:16 pm   #13
Paul Godley
Pentode

I used to work for a small electronics firm in Chesterfield many years ago. Wye electronics, making very budget record players and radiograms.
The boss there used to try all sort of thing to resell and he turned to TV sets at one time, around 1981 I think. These were 22" Tyne sets. earthed chassis and 4 sliders and presets above those upper left above the speaker. good pictures, but EHT regulation terrible! The contrast control was really like the set HT pot!
They were not expensive .I remember seeing a prototype berryvision, never saw it working though.

Paul G
Old 24th May 2017, 9:45 pm   #14
Philips210
Nonode

Hi

I always thought the TBA 800 was intended as an audio output chip though field output and audio output stages do have certain things in common. The TDA 1170 must have appeared not long after. ISTR the Decca 80 chassis used one first seen around 1976 or 1977.

Regards
Symon.
Old 24th May 2017, 11:03 pm   #15
julie_m
Dekatron

Both jobs involve pushing a few watts through a highly inductive load somewhere between 20 and 20kHz, but I would have thought the TBA800 a bit weedy for driving TV scanning coils. I've always known it as a record player amplifier, good for a watt or two maybe.
Old 25th May 2017, 11:17 am   #16
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

You're right - it might have looked good on paper but the poor thing was never meant for that job and showed its displeasure!
Oh dear Paul - you admit to working for Wye Electronics? The Steepletone of its day - lots of hardboard and wires that fell off, as I recall. I would have thought that Tyne TVs had all but finished being made by 1981, though of course he could have bought surplus stocks.
Glyn
Closed Thread