UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd May 2017, 7:27 pm   #1
Jocampob
Retired Dormant Member

Default Akai GXC-46D. Noise problem.

Hi I have a Akai GXC46D that has a noise like blank noise but of low frecuency in both channels. I have connected the different stages of the amplifier to gound trying to locate the origin of the noise and the nose is gone except in the 2 first stages. I changed the electrolitycs of one channel (the 2 first stages) with no result. Then I changed the electrolitycs of the power supply with no result. What can be wrong ? The noise is not the typical hum of the 50 hz.
Old 23rd May 2017, 9:25 pm   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Akai GXC-46D. Noise problem.

Could be a magnetised head, which is easy to fix, or noisy transistors. Is it the same on both channels?
Old 23rd May 2017, 10:58 pm   #3
Jocampob
Retired Dormant Member

I have already degmagnetized the heads the noise is the same in both channels
Old 24th May 2017, 12:58 am   #4
Grubhead
Heptode

Are there any IC's that have both channels going into them?
If you have the noise in both channels and it's the same noise in both, then you are only looking for something common to both channels. If there are no IC's common to both channels consider a transistor in the power supply, since you have eliminated the caps.
Old 24th May 2017, 7:53 am   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Always worth cleaning the record/play switch with Servisol Super 10 or similar before delving deeper.
Old 24th May 2017, 9:08 am   #6
Jocampob
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubhead View Post
Are there any IC's that have both channels going into them?
There are no IC's in this deck only transistors. I will try changing the transistors of the power supply and if no result I will change the transistors of the two first stages of the amplifier.

Thank you for your help.
Old 25th May 2017, 2:08 am   #7
Grubhead
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Always worth cleaning the record/play switch with Servisol Super 10 or similar before delving deeper.
Pushing it manually should make any noise that would cause go, before spraying it if it is causing it. But I would be surprised if it caused a noise. More likely cut channels off.

Are you thinking feedback hum?
Old 25th May 2017, 8:27 am   #8
saxmaniac
Heptode

I got rid of a nasty feedback like noise by checking and tightening mounting screws for amplifier boards as it depends on these for earthing. Worth a look
Old 27th May 2017, 12:40 pm   #9
arjoll
Dekatron

Have you got the service manual for this deck? It not, zap me a PM with your email address and I can send you a copy.
Closed Thread