UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Apr 2017, 5:33 pm   #1
G1RAO keith
Pentode

Default Icom IC04E.

Hi all
Any thoughts on how I can repair my IC04E keypad, two of the keys refuse to work even pressing them hard. I have the set in bits and I don't want to keep building it back up and then pulling it apart, because the display falls off and its a pig of a job trying to realign it. I have tested the resistance on the back of all the keys it varies of course depending on the pressure I apply. The two faulty keys read a few K ohms, not far away from the keys that work. Is it somehow possible to re coat the back of the keys with the grey looking coating. I am reluctant to rub it in case I make it worse.
Regards, Keith.
Old 7th Apr 2017, 5:39 pm   #2

Default Re: Icom ic04e

They (those rubber keys) often get contaminated, a gentle clean with kitchen squirty stuff usually does the job.

Old 7th Apr 2017, 5:51 pm   #3
Omegaman
Hexode

Default Re: Icom ic04e

I've successfully repaired these with a small spot of glue (UHU or similar) and then rubbing a pencil on fine sandpaper so the dust falls on the glue.
When the glue has dried, seems to work well.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson
Old 7th Apr 2017, 6:08 pm   #4
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Icom IC04E.

Or, there are commercially made liquid solutions, often marketed as 'remote control repair' solution or similar. Whatever you use, it needs to be something which dries flexible rather than hard and shell-like because when you squash something like that it will gradually break up and shed little conductive particles inside the keypad assembly and eventually throughout the rest of the equipment.

Another possibility is to get the rubber contact mat from a surplus but working remote control (or a new bargain shop cheapie), slice off the original dead conductive pill from the original button membrane sheet and transplant (i.e., carefully place and glue) a new pill taken from the 'donor' contact mat.

Cleaning them is often a short term solution, indeed sometimes you can make them worse by inadvertently removing what little remains of the conductive coating.

I feel your pain, because I have an otherwise working Icom ICW-21ET which is essentially disabled due to failure of the keypad button membrane. I had already replaced this item once, I should have obtained more spares when they were still available.
Old 7th Apr 2017, 7:06 pm   #5
G1RAO keith
Pentode

Hi
Thanks for the help I may try cleaning it,I don't use the set very much.I have left inquiries at a couple of icom suppliers, I will see if I get any response before I go any further.regards Keith.
Old 7th Apr 2017, 10:31 pm   #6
Goldieoldie
Octode

There is this conductive glue ( I have not tried it).Might be worth a try .It does say it can repair membrane switches
eBay item 222456881212
Old 7th Apr 2017, 11:04 pm   #7
julie_m
Dekatron

I have done a successful repair of a bicycle lamp switch (exactly the same principle as a remote control keypad: conductive rubber pad suspended above tinned traces on the PCB by the domed rubber button) using a black conductive pad robbed from a broken TV remote that I just happened to find in the street.
Old 8th Apr 2017, 10:24 am   #8
Outrun_uk
Heptode

This works well for repairing the conductive pad type keys:-

http://http://cpc.farnell.com/bare-conductive/epaint-pen10/electric-paint-pen-10ml/dp/MK00208
Old 8th Apr 2017, 6:39 pm   #9
G1RAO keith
Pentode

Hi some good ideas there everyone thanks for the info.regards keith
Old 4th May 2017, 8:55 pm   #10
G1RAO keith
Pentode

Hi mods this can now be closed problem resolved.thanks.
Closed Thread