UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Mar 2017, 11:36 am   #21
Squipper
Pentode

Default Re: Rexine cleaning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
I will try to take some photos of the finished set and post before, during and after photos.
I'll look forward to seeing some photos of your set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
this is a LIVE CHASSIS set, i.e. one side of the mains supply is connected to the chassis with no transformer to isolate it. Furthermore, the mains switch is a single-pole affair, wired between what should be the neutral wire and chassis. So even when the mains is the correct way round, the chassis will essentially be live when the set's switched off! Be sure that the control knobs can't be pulled off, that nobody's going to open the back when it's plugged in, and that you remove the mains plug from the wall when the set's not in use
Thanks for the warning, I have spotted this already, I researched the set even before I plugged it in - but a reminder is always welcome

I note also about the ease in which the back of the set can be opened, and I am sure I have seen a thread on here about retro fitting a device, like Roberts did in later sets, which would render such that the set can't be opened without using a tool. (Screw lock or some-such). An adaptation I may consider.
Old 7th Mar 2017, 11:39 am   #22
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I considered wrapping some thin but strong (steel?) wire around the screws of the two parts of the catch, between the catch and the cabinet, before screwing them fully home. Reversible and almost invisible.

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 7th Mar 2017 at 11:54 am.
Old 7th Mar 2017, 11:44 am   #23
Squipper
Pentode

Wire-locking is a cracking idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinrads View Post
I still say try leather dye it works for me . Mick.
Mick, would the leather dye 'take' to the rexine though? and once dried, would it be 'colour-fast'? - rubbing the rexine down to provide the 'key' would render the original finish somewhat smooth with less texture I would imagine?
Old 7th Mar 2017, 12:16 pm   #24
vinrads
Dekatron

Just make sure you remove all the polish, stick down any loose bit's , don't use the brush they supply it's to course, I use a small sponge work quickly as it dries fast.
This is my TR82 with a new paint job and dark blue leather dye to to sides. Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0009.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	138767   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0010.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	138768  

Last edited by vinrads; 7th Mar 2017 at 12:27 pm.
Old 7th Mar 2017, 12:25 pm   #25
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I too have had success with this type of product, but have only used it where the original Rexine had become matte and faded and generally porous-looking.
Old 7th Mar 2017, 8:05 pm   #26
Stevie342000
Hexode

What's the best way to stick down any edges that have curled up their toes?
Old 7th Mar 2017, 8:11 pm   #27
Audio1950
Dekatron

PVA. Apply to both surfaces, wait till it starts to go clear, then press rexine down. Remove any excess with a damp rag.

Barry
Old 9th Mar 2017, 2:22 pm   #28
poppydog
Banned

Any chance of brand names, and names of colours recommended for the red Roberts please? I have a rt1 nearing completion apart from the case needing "treatment", also a very flat red r200 requiring work. Regards Poppydog
Old 9th Mar 2017, 2:32 pm   #29
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I used the cherry red version of this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAPHIR-Sat...dQoW3k_rNUUoEA

Then ordinary wax furniture polish afterwards.

The result was good, if not outstanding. There may be other equivalent products available for less money.
Old 9th Mar 2017, 7:59 pm   #30
poppydog
Banned

Thanks for that Nick Regards Poppydog.
Old 12th Mar 2017, 12:17 am   #31
k_yller
Pentode

Rexine - mixture of cellulose nitrate, camphor oil, pigment is hard to clean,
any aggressive solvent will damage it (IPA, alcohol,acetone etc)
quite long time ago i found solution for cleaning such a things like artificial leathers
car cockpit spray
Old 18th Mar 2017, 11:33 am   #32
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I have been cleaning 'Rexine' covered cabinets for decades with complete success. No need for obscure chemical wonder cleaners. I use 'Flash' kitchen/bathroom cleaner or similar and a soft nailbrush with warm water. The ingrained dirt flows off and when rinsed with clean water and a 'J' cloth, can be dried and polished with aerosol furniture polish. Any faded areas exposed after cleaning can be restored with shoe cream before polishing.

I once cleaned a 1958 Sobell TPS173 transportable television covered in red and white Rexine before returning it to the customer after repair as I did with all repairs. The first thing the customer said when I carried it into the room was 'That's not my set!' She told me it could not possibly be her telly because she had tried all kinds of cleaning products on it without success.
I told her that television engineers were supplied with a special electrical cleaner that was not available to the public...I didn't want her to feel her cleaning abilities were below par. It looked brand new. FLASH! John.
Old 18th Mar 2017, 12:02 pm   #33
Squipper
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
I have been cleaning 'Rexine' covered cabinets for decades with complete success. No need for obscure chemical wonder cleaners. I use 'Flash' kitchen/bathroom cleaner or similar and a soft nailbrush with warm water. The ingrained dirt flows off and when rinsed with clean water and a 'J' cloth, can be dried and polished with aerosol furniture polish. Any faded areas exposed after cleaning can be restored with shoe cream before polishing.
Thank You John, I have earmarked some time this weekend to attempt cleaning the P5A and will give the Flash a whirl as we already have some in the lady cupboard beneath the sink. New nailbrush is on this mornings shopping list, so I shall report back later, or tomorrow with results.

PAUL - BVWS Member
Old 18th Mar 2017, 1:46 pm   #34
vidjoman
Dekatron

I've also used Flash for years to clean most cabinets on Jukeboxes. Even used it to clean away years of tobacco smoke on the mechanism and electronics. I dilute about 1 part to 4 parts water and use a spray bottle. Brush it in usually with a 2" paint brush, as the hairs are longer and you can get further into so parts, although a nail brush is fine on flat grained surfaces. Leave a short while, not too long or it may affect some surfaces and paint. Wash off with plain water and dry with a cloth of a cool fan blower.
Cheap to do and works everytime.
Old 25th Mar 2017, 12:27 pm   #35
crackle
Rest in Peace

I use bath foam cleaner, just be careful to not rub too hard if the rexine has a printed pattern as this may rub off.

Mike
Closed Thread