UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Sep 2014, 11:50 am   #1
Jeremy M0RVB
Hexode

Default Odd Golborne question

Hi all

I have a strange question about Golborne, having never been. Does it get particularly noisy? (I have some nasty hearing issues) The last even I managed to get to was the NVCF when it was at the NEC and that was fine, given the size of the hall.

Jeremy
Old 16th Sep 2014, 12:12 pm   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Odd Golborne question

It's not very noisy at all, Jeremy.
See you there?
Old 16th Sep 2014, 12:18 pm   #3
Jeremy M0RVB
Hexode

I'm gonna try and get there. Actually I have loads of bits to be rid of, how much is a table?
Old 16th Sep 2014, 12:23 pm   #4
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Hi Jeremy, No it does not get noisy at Golborne. There may be a display of vintage TVs but in the past the sound have been turned down. There is no PA system. Around 1pm there is often a talk on a radio related topic in a side room, so the main hall goes very quiet, I hope you come along and have an nice day. I am sure you will enjoy the day. John.
Old 16th Sep 2014, 8:14 pm   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

It is a small event (especially if your experience is mainly NVCF!), and we're mostly fairly restrained people ;-D, so I wouldn't expect you to have a problem.

As to booking a table, I believe the price is £12 (including entry fee for the stallholder) - at least that is the price quoted for last spring's event and I don't think there's been a price increase. You will need to contact Mark the Mender to make a booking.
Old 16th Sep 2014, 11:06 pm   #6
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Nice event Jeremy - probably less than an hours drive for you from Leeds.

Quite a small affair, in contrast to the NVCF - maybe 20 or so tables, some simply hobbyists downsizing their collection and selling components, valves, magazines, books, test gear etc - others are what might be termed 'traders', but in a small way, selling radios, test gear, valves etc. A good place to take a list of wanted valves, with a likelihood of getting most, if not all, at fair prices.

It's held in a hall at a local leisure centre. All very friendly and informal, and an opprtunity to meet forum chums face to face. Mike Barker, BVWS Chairman ('Murphymad') usually brings a large van packed full with valve and transistor sets and other items which don't hang around for long, and there's usually an impressive demonstration of vintage TVs in working order.

Forum member Keith ('Keith's TVs') has given excellent talks and demonstrations this last two years or so on such things as test gear, the use of oscilloscopes, wobbulators, etc, followed up by illustrated write-ups of the talks. Don't know if Keith has one planned for the November event (hint!).

If you'd like a table, I'm sure Mark ('Mark the Mender') will find space for one - he usually does!
Old 17th Sep 2014, 8:01 am   #7
KeithsTV
Nonode

I can confirm that the preparation for a talk in November is well under way. Just a few loose ends to tidy up. This year it will be on the basics of power supplies covering rectification, smoothing, regulated power supplies and thermal aspects. As usual there will be demonstration units and an electronic handout.

I'd also ask if anyone has any ideas for next years talk then let me know so I can start planning.

I normally try to arrive early so I can set everything up and check it all works before starting the talk probably around 11:30. They normally last about an hour or hour and a half. No need to book just turn up and take a seat.

Keith
Old 17th Sep 2014, 10:05 am   #8
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I should add, not all the stall holders or buyers attend the talk and it will be in a separate room. The main hall will then become even more quiet.

John.
Old 17th Sep 2014, 11:37 am   #9
Jeremy M0RVB
Hexode

Ok thanks all, I've booked the day off (or rather I've filed the relevant request with SWMBO for the time off and I believe it has been signed!) and I might get a table, I reckon I have enough valves to clear to be worth one.
Old 17th Sep 2014, 11:47 am   #10
Dave Moll
Dekatron

If you end up with not really enough to justify a table, don't forget there's a bring & buy stall with 10% of sale price going to funds - along with items donated for the full amount to go to funds.

May I take the opportunity to remind anyone bringing items for the B&B to retrieve any unsold items before departing.
Old 17th Sep 2014, 12:52 pm   #11
Alistair D
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithsTV View Post
I can confirm that the preparation for a talk in November is well under way. Just a few loose ends to tidy up. This year it will be on the basics of power supplies covering rectification, smoothing, regulated power supplies and thermal aspects. As usual there will be demonstration units and an electronic handout.
As part of a new version of a spreadsheet that I am preparing for another site I have added a smoothing ripple calculator. The 1st section is capacitor only. The second stage can be RC or LC. If you would like a copy PM me an email address. You are welcome to put it on the internet and offer it to anyone attending the lecture.

Al
Old 17th Sep 2014, 2:06 pm   #12
threeseven
Octode

Sounds like it's about the size of Harpenden without the auction?
Old 17th Sep 2014, 2:21 pm   #13
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Sounds like it's about the size of Harpenden without the auction?

Smaller but better, just my opinion and less traveling.

John.
Old 17th Sep 2014, 3:23 pm   #14
threeseven
Octode

Depends where you are, it's about the same for me as Harpenden.
Old 17th Sep 2014, 8:42 pm   #15
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Jeremy, some brave fellows even bring other halves. The bacon butties are good and it is a friendly atmosphere. It might be worthwhile using a name badge so we can match faces and names as quite a few do.

See you there.

Ed

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 18th Sep 2014 at 7:16 pm. Reason: Off topic comments removed
Closed Thread