UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Sep 2014, 11:13 pm   #21
davegsm82
Heptode

Default Re: Radiac Survey Meter No.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadgage View Post
I very much doubt that welding rods contain tritium as this element is a gas and does not readily form any solid compounds.
The main use of tritium is as a maintenance free light source, for which purpose it is sealed in a glass vial that is lined with a phosphor, these vials typically being contained in an outer housing.

Tritium lights are slightly radioactive but not sufficiently so as to be considered dangerous.
I've not been able to measure any noticeable rise in background when I put my plastic cased Tritium vial keyring next to my counter, it is in a fairly thick plastic case though.

As for welding rods, I believe they used to contain thorium, not tritium.

Dave.
Old 22nd Sep 2014, 8:50 am   #22
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Dave is right, Thorium not Tritium.

That's the problem with rapid replies!

It is worth bearing in mind Broadgage's comments about what is considered to be significant in terms of uptake (I don't like the term "dangerous" - most non-scientific).

In terms of a percentage of acceptable lifetime dose none of the commonly occurring items are not significant as far as the general public are concerned.

There is some interesting information here http://www.hse.gov.uk/radiation/ionising/index.htm should you have a couple of hours with nothing better to do!
Old 22nd Sep 2014, 12:21 pm   #23
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R Pateman View Post
In terms of a percentage of acceptable lifetime dose none of the commonly occurring items are not significant as far as the general public are concerned.
Is that double negative deliberate as in "the commonly occurring items are significant"?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 22nd Sep 2014, 12:59 pm   #24
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

No, it's being even busier on a day off than I'd have been at work and typing in a hurry and the phone rang while I was posting!

Just to clarify, you don't need to be concerned about the banana display at your local Tesco (other supermarkets are available).
Old 23rd Sep 2014, 12:41 am   #25
turretslug
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegsm82 View Post
I've not been able to measure any noticeable rise in background when I put my plastic cased Tritium vial keyring next to my counter, it is in a fairly thick plastic case though.
I'm sure I recall hearing that there was interest in using high molecular weight polymers for radioactive shielding in aerospace applications and the like- expensively chucking lumps of lead into the sky is unattractive if an alternative is available!
Closed Thread