UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Aug 2013, 10:19 am   #1
ganknitt
Retired Dormant Member

Default Garrard SP25 mark 4 Questions

Hi

I've recently been handed a Garrard SP mark 4. Is it worth fixing to use? its been pretty neglected. The wiring to the amp needs replacing..

Any info or thoughts welcome
Old 29th Aug 2013, 1:19 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard SP mark 4

Hello and welcome.

Presumably, you mean an SP25 Mark 4?

If so, they're certainly worth fixing, but suffer terribly from dried-up grease and oils so will need a complete stripdown for optimum results.

A good one is not expensive on the secondhand market though (£10-£20) so you shouldn't feel too bad if you ended up not being able to fix yours. They were a budget hifi offering, so don't expect miracles. They're wonderful for playing 78s though.

You will also probably find that the motor's rotor has fallen apart, and the 3 bits need glueing together again - not difficult but needs to be done precisely.

Do you mean the wiring that runs down the arm from the cartridge to the tagstrip, or the wires from the tagstrip under the deck to the amp?

N.
Old 29th Aug 2013, 4:55 pm   #3
Audio1950
Dekatron

There is a Garrard 4SP record deck, maybe this is the one you have? Is this just the record deck, or a complete record player? Whichever one you have, SP25MK4 or 4SP, Garrard is only the name of the record deck, if it's a complete record player, it will have been made by another manufacturer. Whether or not the whole thing is worth restoring depends on the state of the amplifier, cabinet, etc. Bear in mind that if the the deck you have is a 4SP, spares are very difficult to get, as it's now around 55 years old, plus it's quite a job to get a new cartridge to fit the arm. Could you possibly let us have a few pictures of this machine?

Barry

Last edited by Audio1950; 29th Aug 2013 at 5:07 pm.
Old 10th Oct 2013, 12:26 pm   #4
ganknitt
Retired Dormant Member

Hi. Thanks for getting back to me.
The only item that I can distinguish as being broken is the wire for connecting the deck to my amp.
It is Marantz 6004, so the connection only fits in the aux plug section.

Here are some pics.

I would appreciate it if you could have a look. Let me know if you can see any outstanding problems.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131010_121306.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	84890   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131010_121256.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	84891   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131010_121223.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	84892   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131010_121318.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	84893  

Last edited by AC/HL; 10th Oct 2013 at 2:25 pm. Reason: Readability
Old 10th Oct 2013, 3:01 pm   #5
peter_sol
Octode

I expect the deck is an SP25 MK4
Old 10th Oct 2013, 5:51 pm   #6
Michael Maurice

Default Re: Garrard SP25 mark 4 Questions

The output from a typical magnetic cartridge is a few millivolts whereas the Aux in is approx 1V.

I dont know the Marantz 6004, but if it doesn't have a Phono input then you will have to purchase a Phono preamplifier which connects between the deck and the amplifier.

This by the way is the same for any deck which doesn't have a built in phono amplifier, including modern decks.

If you decide that you dont want to keep the deck, I'm looking for one.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 10th Oct 2013, 6:11 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard SP25 mark 4 Questions

If you mean the Marantz PM6004, it apparently has a dedicated phono input which you should use, see far left of this pic: http://appledon.dn.ua/9693-20749/-ma...ilver-gold.jpg

Do you mean the lead that goes from the two sockets under the deck, to your amp? If so, you can use any twin phono lead, so long as it's thin and flexible, and not too long.

As for common faults, as I said before, the motor will almost certainly need oiling and glueing back together, and the trip pawl/cam will need degreasing.

Nick
Closed Thread