UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Aug 2017, 3:33 pm   #41

Default Re: Replacement rectifier.

To summarise all these posts, just fit a 1A or more silicon bridge, all will be fine. I do 'like' the spelling of LITE on the diagram.

Old 8th Aug 2017, 3:36 pm   #42
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlecy1 View Post
the output on the trani is 244v same at the rectifier ac legs ,,attch
schematic of pwer supply + amp
If you have 224VAC at the input to the bridge rectifier and your reported DC voltage out from the rectifier was 217 volts DC when a silicon bridge was tried (post#25) then there is a problem, the silicon bridge should only drop approx. 1.4 volts and the HT voltage should be higher than the input voltage to the bridge.

Lawrence.
Old 8th Aug 2017, 4:02 pm   #43
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

You would expect about the same DC output as AC input with biphase rectification. Looking at the circiut, it appears to be a valve socket with half wave rectification. A bridge plugged in here will not need the filament supply. All very strange.

If you include a resistor to limit the voltage and peak currents, then make it a high wattage one. The power and voltage drop will be several times that calculated from a continuous current. So, 100mA and 100ohms would drop 10V continuous and dissipate 1W. In practice, you could drop up to 50V and dissipate 5W. Remember that the transformer primary and secondary will have resistance.
Old 8th Aug 2017, 4:06 pm   #44
ms660
Dekatron

Half wave? Full wave bridge surely?

Lawrence.
Old 8th Aug 2017, 4:32 pm   #45
exlecy1
Retired Dormant Member

i have to say that before i removed the amp from the JB it worked fine, i only removed it to change the old paper caps and the old electrolitic ones, i changed all caps with the values as near as possible to the old values which were no longer available i increased their voltage rating also ,it was reccomened i change the old recifier which brings us to the start, i do not think there is a problem with the amp because it was working fine before removal, i have to re-instal the amp now it's recapped i am mainly concerned about the recifier change before i put the amp back in the JB
Old 8th Aug 2017, 5:58 pm   #46
McMurdo
Dekatron

the datasheet for that rectifier which is an old Siemens and Halske number rates it for 250Vac 250mA selenium.

GD rectifiers made us some cracking selenium rectifiers some years ago
Old 8th Aug 2017, 7:27 pm   #47
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
Half wave? Full wave bridge surely?
The diagram in #40 shows just a single winding connected to what appears to be a valve base supplied with a heater winding. This cannot be used to supply a full wave output. If a valve is to be used, I would connect the winding between the anodes and a couple of silicon diodes anodes to ground to complete the bridge. The selenium rectifier would likely be a bridge, three connections would be biphase, four connections would be a bridge.

A heater supply would not be needed for the selenium rectifier of course.

The WO8 is a nice little bridge rectifier which would do.

Last edited by TrevorG3VLF; 8th Aug 2017 at 7:32 pm.
Old 8th Aug 2017, 7:42 pm   #48
ms660
Dekatron

You might be getting confused, the 1st schematic in post#40 shows 235VAC from the mains transformer going to pins 2&3 of a 4 pin chassis socket, the 2nd schematic shows pins 2&3 of that sockets corresponding plug connecting to a bridge rectifier that supplies the amplifiers HT, no valve, no half wave just a full wave bridge rectifier (selenium)

The heater winding in the 1st schematic that connects to pins 1&4 of the chassis socket supplies the heaters for the amplifier valves in the 2nd schematic.

Lawrence.
Old 8th Aug 2017, 11:57 pm   #49
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

Thanks Lawrence, I stand corrected.

Trevor
Closed Thread