UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 15th Apr 2015, 11:03 pm   #1
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default CDs with problems.

I've successfully restored CD/DVD to a PC readable state by using a car scratch removal kit. Basically, it's two polishing compounds, a bit weaker than T cut. One coarse and the other fine. I only used the fine, then washed with clear meths. Restored a treat.
Old 16th Apr 2015, 1:33 pm   #2
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: CDs with problems.

I've found that just the meths sometimes works but I've seen toothpaste advocated as a fine abrasive. I had no meths on hand yesterday when confronted with a CD that wouldn't play beyong 6minutes in. I gave it a polish with a soft cloth and a small amount of switch cleaner. It's now fully playable!
Dave W
Old 16th Apr 2015, 6:10 pm   #3
mark pirate
Dekatron

I have used Brasso wadding to polish damaged CD's, it works a treat!

Mark
Old 17th Apr 2015, 12:11 am   #4
Oldcodger
Nonode

possibly similar stuff , mark. I wonder( in hindsight) if the stuff just cleaned up the CD or did it help get rid of scratches.
Old 18th Apr 2015, 12:14 pm   #5
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Ok, I know I'm talking about spending money on a fancy device here, but Maplin sell a scratch repairer:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/profession...repairer-a19jl

I have a similar item and it works.
Old 18th Apr 2015, 6:01 pm   #6
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

There are companies who use commercial-scale equivalent machines to refurbish second-hand CDs for resale.
I wouldn't be surprised if a few of the better record shops (such as there are left) have them too, and would be prepared to polish customers' discs for a consideration.
At the other end of the scale, I have a manually-operated version of much the same thing, bought from a Pound shop a few years ago. Used with a proprietory CD polish, it works very well.
Old 18th Apr 2015, 9:39 pm   #7
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcodger View Post
I wonder (in hindsight) if the stuff just cleaned up the CD or did it help get rid of scratches.
It does polish out minor scratches, but in extreme cases I have used T-cut with good results.
Always polish from the centre to the edge, do not use a circular method!

Mark
Old 19th Apr 2015, 1:20 am   #8
Oldcodger
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
I've found that just the meths sometimes works but I've seen toothpaste advocated as a fine abrasive. I had no meths on hand yesterday when confronted with a CD that wouldn't play beyong 6minutes in. I gave it a polish with a soft cloth and a small amount of switch cleaner. It's now fully playable!
DAVE- his was a PC DVD that my PC couldn't/ wouldn't read. I'd tried meths /clear meths ( left in light for months) but no.
Old 21st Apr 2015, 9:43 am   #9
stevehertz
Dekatron

The main thing to remember when attempting to polish out CD scratches is to polish radially, NOT around the disc as this is the path travelled by the laser and any 'micro' scratches left by the action of polishing can cause the laser to 'derail'. This is much less of a problem if the laser is travelling over such scratches at 90 degrees.
Old 21st Apr 2015, 11:03 pm   #10
Oldcodger
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinTheAmpMan1 View Post
Ok, I know I'm talking about spending money on a fancy device here, but Maplin sell a scratch repairer
Colin - just seen/noticed the replies. My kit was a car body scratch repair kit from Aldi -cost =peanuts .Goes under the name of "KRATZLER". Not much use on car paint, but great at removing scratches / dirt on CD/DVD. I first noticed how good it was on our door numbers after they were "vandalised" by a firm providing external cladding and their clean up methods. Brought up the faux brass numbers a treat.
Closed Thread