UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jul 2015, 10:20 pm   #1
govjohn
Pentode

Default What does it mean?

I'm not even sure that this is an appropriate query for this forum but I am certain some member will have the answer. I recently went on a coach holiday through Belgium Germany and Austria, in all 3 countries I saw rows of pylons painted red and white along side the ordinary grey galvanized ones. The red and white pylons carried one circuit (6 lines plus an earth at the top) and seemed the same size as the ordinary coloured pylons. What does this colour signify? The thumbnails were taken from a moving coach and are of poor quality but should give the idea.
John

Click image for larger version

Name:	092.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	110246Click image for larger version

Name:	095.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	110247
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 11:18 pm   #2
jjl
Octode

Default Re: What does it mean?

I think the red and white colours are intended to act as a warning to aircraft that may be flying nearby. I've seen such painted pylons in all of the mainland European countries I've visited. I've noticed that they're often seen when there is a longer than normal span of cable between two pylons, for example when cables span a wide river.

John
Old 3rd Jul 2015, 12:08 am   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

Well, radio towers are often painted red and white, presumably to enhance visibility.
These people should know: http://www.pylons.org/
Old 3rd Jul 2015, 1:26 am   #4
Alf
Hexode

Perhaps the answer can be found here
Old 3rd Jul 2015, 8:26 am   #5
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
'Well, radio towers are often painted red and white...'
I've never seen any in the UK that are red and white, but nearly all the ones I've seen in mainland Europe and Sweden are. I'm not saying there aren't any red and white towers here, mind: just that I haven't seen any*. Any structures over here rely on aircraft navigation lights and even the criteria for those have been relaxed over the years.

I don't think those in other countries are worried about colour schemes as some (influential) people in the UK are. Over here the Lake District Special Planning Board (as was) used to insist on green telephone kiosks instead of the usual PO red ones!

* Sod's Law get-out clause No:36.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 3rd Jul 2015, 2:02 pm   #6
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Further to my earlier post, it does indeed look like UK planning regulations place more emphasis on minimising effect on the background than to worry about the pesky nuisance tall structures appear to offer to aircraft. From the Scottish Government website: Planning Advice Note: PAN 62 Radio Telecommunications - can't find the English one, but I'll bet it's similar...

'To minimise the level of visual intrusion and protect the quality and character of [specify] as far as practicable'

It would seem that the so-called 'International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) stipulations on obstruction painting' count for nothing here. Remember that whenever there's an issue with mast-lighting here in the UK, the site operator simply issues a NOTAM (Notice to Airmen) to the NATS explaining that the lighting is down, so please watch out if you're flying in the vicinity.

Besides, painting masts pretty colours is expensive compared to the cost of grey micacious iron oxide.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 8th Jul 2015, 12:17 am   #7
matthewhouse
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
Perhaps the answer can be found here
On one of the last pages it says for visibility near airports.
Old 8th Jul 2015, 5:27 pm   #8
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post
Remember that whenever there's an issue with mast-lighting here in the UK, the site operator simply issues a NOTAM (Notice to Airmen) to the NATS explaining that the lighting is down, so please watch out if you're flying in the vicinity.
Actually, this is very incorrect - mast lighting is a priority fault, we dont 'simply' issue a NOTAM - those NOTAMs are issued within minutes of discovering a structure is unlit, or even potentially unlit. The fact that the AWLs may not be repaired for some time is down to the safety aspects of attending and climbing these structures, and I'm sure you'll appreciate that its no easy task getting a dozen customers to agree to turn off their transmissions whilst riggers repair lamps. Aircraft safety is a top priority, but not quite as much as the safety of climbers.

A couple of years ago, It was my task to work with the CAA and NATS to revamp our mast lighting reporting procedures, and I still review current NOTAMs on a regular basis to ensure they are accurate

My Blog - http://g7mrv.blogspot.com
Old 8th Jul 2015, 11:05 pm   #9
russell_w_b
Dekatron

I may have been rather facetious with that post there.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.

Last edited by AC/HL; 9th Jul 2015 at 1:14 am. Reason: As requested
Closed Thread