UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Oct 2016, 2:58 pm   #21
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Type of Switch?

Anyone know why each coil section has to be shorted out?

Lawrence.
Old 26th Oct 2016, 3:09 pm   #22
ChristianFletcher
Heptode

Wink Re: Type of Switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdrive View Post
An old type barrel switch is within the realms of DIY:

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...ical%20hole%22

Brass grub screws could be used for the turret contacts, they can be linked to give progressive shorting of the ATU coil.

Lawrence.
Dont think it would look much like that if I built it
Old 26th Oct 2016, 3:17 pm   #23
ChristianFletcher
Heptode

Lawrence.

I remember reading somewhere that its advantageous to always short out unused section of the ATU coil. I think this is because if left un-shorted high voltages can be induced in them from adjacent windings and could damage the switches.

Regards chris
Old 26th Oct 2016, 3:18 pm   #24
Andrew B
Heptode

PW, it helps prevent unwanted interactions/resonances in the unused part of the coil. StationX, admitted, some of the wafers do not need to short out as they select other components in the conventional manner, usually by adding more capacitance. Those sections are easy to produce. .

I have stripped a couple of wafers down while awaiting the arrival of a length of 3/32" copper tube with which to make the rivets/eyelets, which when fitted will be soldered as well (belt and braces).

It appears the Yaesu tuner uses SRBP as the wafer material and as (at the moment) I only have SRBP wafers, I'll give it a try as I don't intend to pump a kilowatt up the antenna (yet!!)

I still can't get over the attitude of the company who made the original switches, in my experience, no-one ever won an argument with a potential customer.!!

I like all of the replies coming in and I hope to meet you all on the airwaves shortly.

73's
Andrew

Andrew
Old 26th Oct 2016, 3:26 pm   #25
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Type of Switch?

Exactly, Graham, re: your post #20.

I did an analysis of the function of that switch with the required corrections made to the original drawing. I was able to reduce it to the following diagram, as below. It assumes a 12-way rotary switch is required. As is often the case - but not always - a complicated-looking switch can sometimes be reduced to something simpler. The reduction process is similar to that for simplifying a combinational logic diagram.

Al.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SWITCH.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	131767  

Last edited by Skywave; 26th Oct 2016 at 3:27 pm. Reason: Add post reference.
Old 26th Oct 2016, 3:34 pm   #26
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Type of Switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
It appears the Yaesu tuner uses SRBP as the wafer material and as (at the moment) I only have SRBP wafers, I'll give it a try as I don't intend to pump a kilowatt up the antenna (yet!!)
Ah! So this is a Yaesu product then: that explains quite a lot! If this switch is designed to handle substantial R.F. energy, SRPB is the last material I would use. Ceramic (or possibly PTFE) would be a wiser choice.

Al.
Old 27th Oct 2016, 12:14 am   #27
Andrew B
Heptode

Hi Al.

Thats the reason I am hunting for a ceramic switch, I don't intend to reproduce Yaesu's flaws. The other options are either the roller coaster, the crocodile clip or the sliding tube. (I just thought of a sliding tube mechanism ©)

I do have a pair of 813's squirreled away, as well as a couple of microwave transformers AND some RR03-1250's, of course I will need to pass my "full" exam before I use them.

Andrew
Old 27th Oct 2016, 12:47 pm   #28
bikerhifinut
Octode

Until I saw you were using it for a transmitter I wondered if relay switching would work? standard C/O relayand when its off it shorts the unused section to earth? Are there relays that will handle large amounts of RF energy? I can imagine some of the more delicate stuff might be prone to chattering when you push the transmit button/key?
Old 27th Oct 2016, 6:04 pm   #29
Andrew B
Heptode

Hi there bikehifinut.

There are plenty of relays that will handle RF, trouble is that every set of contacts and the leads to/from the coil to the contacts adds more inductance.

I do see the point though, a bank of 6 40 amp auto type relays arranged to be switched out of circuit would work, just use 12v on an el cheapo rotary switch to power the relays OUT of circuit, the default NC contacts grounding down a section of coil. a set of 6 spst cheapo switches instead of the rotary, in fact i could use a diode between each switch as an "interlock.

envelope and pencil MK1 coming in to play.................

Andrew
Closed Thread