UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2017, 8:42 pm   #1
kirstyd
Heptode

Default Belling Zephyr electric fire

I have just saved the above from the tip. It's a bit dirty but under the dirt it's in really good condition and so well built compared to modern heaters .The only thing puzzling me is the flex [which is original] it enters through the back of the fire and connects to its relavent connections there is nothing to secure it no clips or ties nothing .While this is not a problem i would like to know how things should be arranged if anyone knows I would be interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040726.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	143202   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040725.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	143203   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040727.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	143204  
Old 25th May 2017, 12:02 am   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Belling Zephyr electric fire

Was the rubber sleeved part of the flex perhaps secured to the tag sticking out alongside the entry bush?

There seem to be signs of a suitable kink in the flex.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 25th May 2017, 7:49 pm   #3
kirstyd
Heptode

i really dont know but i cant see how the flex would have been secured to the shell of the fire because the flex has to be connected to the front panel i can only assume the flex must have been anchored there so that the cable could just be threaded through the hole and a plug fitted .i have found a suitable clip and am going to secure the flex just underneath the live and neutral connections .Anyone know where i can get some new braided flex [whilst the old stuff is not perished i would like to replace[because of its age] it with something that looks the part
Old 25th May 2017, 8:54 pm   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

If the fire was intended for permanent installation over a fireplace, with a fused connection unit in the chimney space, then there would be no need for any strain relief.
Old 25th May 2017, 11:05 pm   #5
mark_in_manc
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstyd View Post
Anyone know where i can get some new braided flex [whilst the old stuff is not perished i would like to replace[because of its age] it with something that looks the part
Skinflint that I am, I tend to collect stuff like that from dead clothes irons. About the only use I've ever found for an iron, to be honest
Old 26th May 2017, 9:31 am   #6
Brigham
Octode

The Radiant-Zephyr, a combined reflector fire and convector.
No. 854, or 854F for the wall-mounted version.
That one is a later model, with plastic rocker switches instead of the quick-double-break type in use until at least 1962. The 'normal' flex colours suggest that the change occurred towards the end of the 'sixties. Does anyone have a later catalogue to confirm?
Old 27th May 2017, 12:17 am   #7
kirstyd
Heptode

I have managed to find some braided flex on Ebay that will do the job and look the part.For now i have refitted the old flex just to try the fire out .Its also had a good clean[there was decades worth of dust and fluff inside just waiting to burst into flames] and i am happy to say the reflector has cleaned up really well with no rust or tarnishing.I certainly gives off a lot of heat but then so does the electric meter as it spins alarmingly fast.
Old 27th May 2017, 9:01 pm   #8
julie_m
Dekatron

At least you can say an electric fire is truly energy-efficient -- 100% of the energy supplied to it as electricity ends up as heat
Old 27th May 2017, 10:17 pm   #9
emeritus
Dekatron

I remember my school physics master making the same point. He neglected to say that the best coal-fired power stations in use at the time were only about 25% efficient!
Old 30th May 2017, 12:01 pm   #10
Brigham
Octode

Have you inspected the original flex? It may well be fine. I'm not sure why some types perish to dust, and others soldier on as good as ever. It must be down to chemical composition, rather than use. I've had little-used heaters where the flex has been perished beyond comprehension, and others where the outer braid is utterly worn away, yet the rubber is still good.
Finding a good original flex saves work in sleeving the 'wrong' colour cores.
Old 30th May 2017, 10:16 pm   #11
kirstyd
Heptode

The original flex is in good order, I'm just a bit wary because it's so old. The new braided flex has arrived today [its sort of beige colour with white flecks in it so once fitted it will look the part] so I will fit it at the weekend. I don't like changing things unless it's absolutely necessary but the old flex is well over 50 years old and with both bars and the convector plus the bulb, there will be almost a 3000 watt load on it.
Old 30th May 2017, 11:16 pm   #12
emeritus
Dekatron

I echo Brigham's comments. The Pirelli TRS cable I removed when I rewired my house over 30 years ago (and left in a tea chest in the loft) is still in excellent condition. It dates from at least 1938, making it nearly 80 years old. On the other hand I have seen cables of similar age that completely disintegrated when disturbed, leaving only the conductors.
Old 31st May 2017, 6:13 pm   #13
kirstyd
Heptode

well the new flex arrived today now while its rated at 2500 watts as you can see from the photo its not as substantial as the original stuff .Its advertised as being suitable for irons up to 3000 watts i can only assume its ok for those irons because they are continually switching on and off where as the fire will be loading the flex with a constant load .think i may put the old flex back as its perfectly ok and has a nice substantial MK plug in my opinion far better than modern plugs with there flimsy connections. The new flex will go on an old Morphy Richards iron i have thats desperate for a replacement so wont be wasted
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040736.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	143664   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040737.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	143665   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040738.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	143666   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040734.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	143667  
Old 31st May 2017, 8:24 pm   #14
Herald1360
Dekatron

It looks a bit lightweight. Depending on the rubber, it could possibly handle the current but will certainly get uncomfortably warm. Some silicone rubber insulation is good for 200C indefinitely- not a temperature you want to touch. A lot of modern electrical component temperature ratings are well outside the human comfort zone!

If you've got a micrometer or digital caliper you could measure the strand diameter and count the strands to get the cross section (if it's not stated in the purchase info). For 13A continuous I'd want around 1.5sq mm.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 31st May 2017, 8:31 pm   #15
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

13A 3kW load is 1.5mm cable for continuous load in free air.
Having established that, many washing machines use 1.25mm cable, the 3kW load is short term whilst heating water. But many do get warm.
Tumble dryers tend to use 1.5mm, continuous load.
We used to have severe problems with a certain popular make of water boiler, 3kW on 1.25mm cable and the terminals underneath used to overheat and the stripped lead used to loose its insulation, thin cable, no ventilation, heat from the element in the base, left heating 25 litres all day = failures.
Old 31st May 2017, 8:55 pm   #16
kirstyd
Heptode

Tried it with the new cable on and you were right it gets quite warm [not happy about that ]so i have put the old flex back on secured it to the case and fitted the cleaned up Mk plug .Its been on for 20 mins and the cable is fine not even warm
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040740.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	143682   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040739.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	143683  
Old 31st May 2017, 10:28 pm   #17
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Sounds good to me. Some of the household fleet of Belling Champions still have old, possibly original, rubber-insulated cable: given the mysterious matter of why the insulation sometimes turns brittle and in other instances seems as good as new, I aim to give each cable a quick inspection in the autumn before use resumes, at the same time as I clean out the year's worth of dust and fluff from the heater.

Paul
Old 31st May 2017, 10:54 pm   #18
kirstyd
Heptode

I have two old electric heater that get used quite a lot in the winter. When I am finished with them for the summer I simply put them in a bin liner and tie the open end that keeps them clean ready for next year.
Old 31st May 2017, 11:05 pm   #19
kirstyd
Heptode

Just a quick story about the MK plug. I have a Morphy Richards convector that we use throughout the winter usually in the hall. Last year I managed to bash the plug with a kirby vac as you can imagine it didn't stand a chance. I replaced the plug with a modern one saved from a dead slow cooker. Big mistake I should have known better. Within an hour it got so hot it damaged the socket it was plugged into and the live pin was burned black. It was only noticed when it tripped the circuit breaker. Just goes to show these modern plugs with there flimsy screws are not up to the job. I had another [on a toaster] where the top came off in my hand. Thank god the switch was off.
Old 2nd Jun 2017, 12:00 pm   #20
broadgage
Nonode

My late grandmother had a very similar electric heater, permanently installed as original equipment in a flat built in the early 1960s.

This was larger than the one illustrated but clearly part of the same family of products. It had a single radiant element, 750 watts in a silica tube, and 3 levels of convected heat.

It was still in good working order when my grandmother passed away about 10 years ago.

I had replaced the radiant element several times and the lamps dozens of times. (this larger model used two lamps) In the end I replaced the recommended lamps with a pair of 100 watt yellow lamps wired in series.
Closed Thread