UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Dec 2014, 9:56 pm   #1
jamesvalves
Retired Dormant Member

Default AVO VT160 Question?

Hi,
Whilst going through a copy of one of my data books, I have come across references to a AVO VT160. I know what a CT160 is but am curious as to the differences? I have done a search and couldn't find anything describing the differences.
Old 22nd Dec 2014, 11:47 pm   #2
Pamphonica
Nonode

Default Re: AVO VT160 Question?

Probably the civilian version of the CT160. No difference except the badge.
Old 25th Dec 2014, 1:39 am   #3
jamesvalves
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you for the clarification
Old 26th Dec 2014, 1:46 pm   #4
WME_bill
Octode

Significance of CTxxx designation as against VTxxx.
Endorsing what Pamphonica says. The civilian version is coded VT, presumably in this case, for Valve Tester. CT is the military model.
I have a CT537 transistor tester, and the manual spells out the differences on the civilian TT537 version for that instrument. I suspect the differences for the type 160 valve tester will be similar.
1. Fuse for military CT model on front panel
2.Meter is fully sealed, of Avo manufacturer, with cutout -a small knob on the lower side of the meter panel). On TT, meter is a Taylor model 50 (probably centre pole magnet. It is said that Avo bought Taylor to obtain rights to that patent.) No cut out, but fuse fitted instead.
3.CT paint colour is Admiralty grey, with black knobs. Civilian version uses black with grey knobs.
4.Operating instructions on plate inside lid of CT model.
5.Modification label on the front panel somewhere.
Other equipment I have, the Military version uses Plessey mark IV mains connectors, while civilian models uses various, such as small Belling Lee 3 pin, or the IEEE style.
wme_bill
Closed Thread