UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Nov 2015, 12:15 am   #1
keyfixer
Diode

Default Sound Leisure Manhattan Jukebox problem

Hi, I am a keyboard / audio engineer but one of my customers is asking me to look at a 1996 Manhattan CD Jukebox that is misbehaving and hoping someone on here might point me in the right direction.

The CD selection is all over the place, have had the main PCB checked and that is fine so I suspect a problem in the carousel area. It has a total of 70 CDs to be selected. It always goes to the requested TRACK, but "rarely" finds the correct CD, and end up selecting the CD a few either side of the programmed number

Anyone have any experience of these?

Thanks..
Old 25th Nov 2015, 8:02 am   #2
mickyfinn
Hexode

Default Re: Sound Leisure Manhattan Jukebox problem

Sound Leisure are still going strong in Leeds. Members of the British Jukebox Owners Yahoo group that have had problems say they are very helpful.
Mick
Old 25th Nov 2015, 6:15 pm   #3
keyfixer
Diode

Thanks for that, my customer did contact them and arranged to send in the main PCB, they tested it and found no faults?..so I'm just wondering if there is a decoder on the carousel?, I can't see one but was trying to avoid taking it all out to find out.

The thing is 20 years old so trying not to keep pestering the manufacturer, I guess we will just have to see if we can get hold of a service manual, then I might make sense of how the thing works!!
Old 25th Nov 2015, 10:43 pm   #4
PsychMan
Octode

You might want to post about this on the Phonoland forum in their jukebox section. Lots of original jukebox engineers from various brands and eras.

http://www.phonoland.com/

Someone here may well have a solution though

Last edited by PsychMan; 25th Nov 2015 at 10:44 pm. Reason: typo
Old 26th Nov 2015, 8:08 am   #5
mickyfinn
Hexode

Phonoland is an excellent resource but the BJO Yahoo group is largely UK specific. There are members on there that have worked on these machines. It's free to sign up and start asking for solutions.

Mick
Old 27th Nov 2015, 12:53 am   #6
kevin m
Retired Dormant Member

How does the machine know whereabouts the carousel is? I know they're two totally different beasts but my nsm vinyl juke had the very same problem a few years back. Mine has an optical sensor that picked up tiny holes that passed by it. This mechanism was a little clogged with years of dust and grime. I used a paint brush to clean out all the holes and brush the sensor clean. its been fine ever since. If its an electrical track like circuit board under the carousel then it could just be dirt getting moved about by the brushes making poor contact.

Kev
Closed Thread