UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Nov 2015, 9:20 pm   #1
M0SOE_Bruce
Pentode

Default Telephone termination block

I had an opportunity to look in an old brick building that looked like it was an old exchange. The cables came through a hole in the wall and went to a small MDF.

The cable termination blocks looked to be a standard 40 circuit GPO block but the sub side used something I've never seen before. I'm trying to id and date the frame. Anyone recognize this block?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	block.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	115968  
Old 22nd Nov 2015, 9:39 pm   #2
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Telephone termination block

Are they fuses or solid links?

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 23rd Nov 2015, 1:56 pm   #3
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0SOE_Bruce View Post
The cable termination blocks looked to be a standard 40 circuit GPO block but the sub side used something I've never seen before. I'm trying to id and date the frame. Anyone recognize this block?
It is a 'Fuse Mounting 4002' which used glass Fuses 2/2 - used on small 'Frames M.D. 0/240' which accommodated 6 of them on the lower half.
I've photo somewhere of such an MDF which I recovered together with a UAX5 in 1999. I've still got some boxes of the long thin glass fuses.

Still listed in the 'Vocabulary of Engineering Stores' in the late 1950's as an 'available' item but shown as superseded by 'Fuse Mounting 4028' - the gate type fuse mounting.

Ian J
Old 23rd Nov 2015, 5:28 pm   #4
M0SOE_Bruce
Pentode

Thanks for that info. It's of a type before my time.

Would it be safe to assume it could be WW2?

Here's a pic of the whole frame.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mdf.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	115986  
Old 23rd Nov 2015, 6:40 pm   #5
subs apps
Triode

I know exactly where this frame is located, It is fed in lead cable and the jumpers are red and black in colour. Given the location I would say that it is definitely World War Two or earlier. I spent some time examining this closely a few years ago and could not locate any dates on the blocks at all. I do believe that the building in question just housed the MDF as the exchange was located elsewhere.
Old 23rd Nov 2015, 6:58 pm   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

What's the 4-barred gate thing in front of the frame? Some sort of heater?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 24th Nov 2015, 7:49 am   #7
M0SOE_Bruce
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by subs apps View Post
I know exactly where this frame is located, It is fed in lead cable and the jumpers are red and black in colour. Given the location I would say that it is definitely World War Two or earlier.
This is what I was thinking. The jumpers look to be pvc. This site was also active post war as well but I don't know if this building was in use then.

The bars at the bottom of the rack look to be for protection only. There's one at the rear as well.

You can see the cables entering at the base of the wall. I think I know where one circuit goes so maybe I'll get out the signal tracer and have some fun.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	frame.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	116014  
Old 24th Nov 2015, 8:38 am   #8
subs apps
Triode

I seem to recall that the tubes are electric heaters, the building in question is quite exposed to the damp and the elements and the frame would need to be kept relatively free from condensation. There are some old lead cables that are hanging down in an area below this building, my guess is that they come from this frame, I could be wrong....I have worked at this site for nearly thirty years and still not seen all it has to offer !!
Old 26th Nov 2015, 2:12 pm   #9
M0SOE_Bruce
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by subs apps View Post
I seem to recall that the tubes are electric heaters,
Yes, I found out they are 60W per foot electric heaters. I guess they were used to keep humidity low.

It looks like this equipment was also used post war as stamped onto the lead cables are letters like DAW and QDOVER for those in the know.
Old 26th Nov 2015, 7:48 pm   #10
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Where's this? 'DUMPY' or somewhere else in the cliffs beneath Dover?

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 26th Nov 2015, 8:02 pm   #11
M0SOE_Bruce
Pentode

It's actually on the surface above the tunnels.

I'm told by someone who worked there that it was part of a wide area telephone system. If one centre went down calls could be relayed through other towns. Kind of an early mesh network.

It was just a curiosity with me as I was actually looking through the bushes for the mast base for the WW1 Port War Signal Station.
Closed Thread