UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Dec 2014, 3:58 pm   #1
david.partridge
Tetrode

Default Amstrad PCW9512 c/w printer etc. Value?

My father has one of these, and wants to sell.

What is a sensible price to set on these? Or are they now so ancient that no-one is likely to want them?

Thanks
Dave
Old 19th Dec 2014, 11:55 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Amstrad PCW9512 c/w printer etc. Value?

Maybe £10....

I don't think they're collectable yet, if ever.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 20th Dec 2014, 2:39 am   #3
paulsherwin

Agreed, no great value. They were sold in large numbers and any collector who wants one has probably got one.
Old 20th Dec 2014, 7:31 am   #4
mole42uk
Nonode

Last one of these I saw for disposal was out on the front wall of someone's garden - Free, Please Take Away!

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 20th Dec 2014, 8:22 am   #5
arjoll
Dekatron

I think your best market is probably outside the UK - they weren't that common here, for example, but looking online it seems they sold very well there.

The same seems to go for other UK brands - my wishlist is down to a BBC B (they always seem to come up in the UK but even though they were popular in schools, it's hard to find a realistically priced good example here) and a Spectrum 48k (common enough, but now worth silly money here).
Old 20th Dec 2014, 9:38 pm   #6
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

You might be lucky - looking at 'completed auctions' on ebay shows a PCW unit sold for £10 and the daisywheel printer £16 (separate auctions/sellers). For large/fragile or collection-only auctions, location is everything.
Old 20th Dec 2014, 10:09 pm   #7
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjoll View Post
I think your best market is probably outside the UK - they weren't that common here, for example, but looking online it seems they sold very well there.
They were marketed as word processors rather than computers and were popular with people moving on from typewriters. They were much cheaper than the dedicated office word processors of the time. Lots of authors were still using them at the end of the 1990s.
Old 21st Dec 2014, 1:21 am   #8
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I had one and they seemed amazing then,a bare bones set up though. No internal memory and you had to save to floppy disc every time or lose your work. If you started up without the printer connected the chip failed as I found out when an "expert" said he could fix things! They were very popular though with a loyal following and a chap near here [in Hastings] had a business carrying machines and parts for years. Prior to this machine and it's predecessor appearing on the market you had to spend a great deal with IBM-[£5k] impossible for ordinary folks!
Dave W
Old 21st Dec 2014, 8:03 am   #9
arjoll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
They were marketed as word processors rather than computers and were popular with people moving on from typewriters. They were much cheaper than the dedicated office word processors of the time. Lots of authors were still using them at the end of the 1990s.
They looked like they had quite a good market penetration, and a recognised brand. I can't say I have ever seen one in the flesh in NZ - either at the time or in the vintage computer scene, although I may have just missed them. The CPC range were around, but not as common as the likes of the C64, or Amiga later on.

I'd guess that this kind of unit, in working condition with screen and printer would sell for around NZ$75-150 on Trademe if you hit the right buyers at the right time, but it would probably cost at least that much to get it here!
Old 21st Dec 2014, 8:36 pm   #10
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

They caused a resurgence in CP/M as alternate to the dedicated Locoscript. For general use the 8256 / 8512 was slightly more useful having dotmatrix rather than Daisywheel. There is no printer port unless you bought a third party module for expansion bus.

Cheap 3" drives originally. I put a 2nd 3.5" drive on my 8256 (upgraded to 512K cheaper than IBM-PC without the HDD and monitor and printer) and the 3" drive on a cable to plug into PC controller. Free DOS SW lets you read the CP/M disks (Supercalc, Wordstar or clones), but not the Locoscript.

My PCW is still in attic.

Almost no games which dramatically reduces retro market. Powered from built in video monitor.

Non-standard keyboard.
Old 21st Dec 2014, 10:00 pm   #11
emeritus
Dekatron

I still have my 8256 (progressively upgraded to 512k memory, and addition of second 3" drive and external 3 1/4" drive). The word processor was brilliant for simple text documents, and when I later got a PC, I continued to use its LocoScript in preference to WORD for the ad hoc translations I sometimes used to do for work. Locoscript's feature of being able to store 26 short phrases under the Alpha keys, and 10 longer text passages under the number keys, all retrievable by respective single key presses, is still unmatched for speed and simplicity by any other word processor programs I have used, and used to save me a lot of typing.

The IT department at work used to let me import the RTF format documents created on it at home into my work PC without having to have them check the disks for viruses first, as they knew that no viruses could be present. The switch mode power supply could apparently cope with a remarkable range of voltages. A letter from a Royal Naval Officer in one of the computer mags, reported on how he had found that his PCW, used on board ship, still worked fine after his power outlet voltage had been switched from 240V to 110V, and on experimenting with a Variac, was found to operate right down to about 50V. This made the monitor go black, but it was found to have continued working Ok when the voltage was increased. No need surge-protected power supplies!

Mine still sits in a bookcase in the corner of the dining room, but hasn't been powered up for some time. When I last used it, I found that the 3" "A" drive seemed to have got misaligned, as it would only read from, and write to, disks that it had recently formatted, and I had to boot from the start-up disks I had made for use with the external 3 1/4" drive.

As to value, I was under the impression that the substantial cache of 3" (and 3 1/4" 720k disks) that I still have would probably be more valuable that the PCW itself.
Closed Thread