UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 10th Dec 2014, 12:33 am   #1
r_a_green
Retired Dormant Member

Post Trollets Loppis, Malmo, Sweden

It's a long shot I know, but if you happen to be in Malmo then this place is worth a look....
http://www.trolletsloppis.se/

The Trolls Flea Market. It is a large second hand/antique/junk shop. Excellent place! I recently visited and spotted several valve radios including a very nice Dux, a valve TV, a wind-up gram, many old lamps, old heaters etc... They also have a lot of hi-fi gear from the 80's or 90's.

TTFN,
Old 11th Dec 2014, 12:47 pm   #2
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Trollets Loppis, Malmo, Sweden

Interesting Richard but I wonder is a Swedish Flea Market cheap given the exchange rate? Ordinarily this posting might have been "a long shot" but given the popularity of Swedish crime dramas in the UK eg Wallander, The Bridge and Arne Dahl, Malmo is not an unfamiliar place as people are constantly going there!
Dave W
Old 11th Dec 2014, 4:08 pm   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Very expensive indeed would be my guess (to us Brits that it), as opposed to locals. Its’ not simply the exchange rate that needs to be considered but the per capita GDP at ‘Purchasing Power Parity’.

If you look at gross domestic product not simply on the basis of nominal per capita GDP, which doesn't reflect differences in the cost of living in different countries, but at ‘PPP’ - purchasing power parity per capita, which takes into account the relative cost of living and the inflation rates of the countries, (rather than using only exchange rates, which may distort the real differences in income), then Sweden and more so Norway, are well above the UK and most other European countries.

I’ve not been to Sweden but we did go on a cruise to Norway in 2009 to ‘The Land of the Midnight Sun’. (Not really our scene - far too sedentary - it felt like we were in 'God's Waiting Room'). Didn't spend a single cent on anything when off the cruise liner in towns, due to eye watering prices. Not that we couldn’t afford it – simply not attuned to paying £7.00 for a cup of coffee in a quayside café of no particular note or £11.00 for a bag of chips from a market stall. The liner was docked at the quayside, where excellent food and refreshments are available on board at no cost all day long.

In Alesund We visited a wonderful ramshackle wooden building on three floors, full of bric a brac of every description. This included many valve radios in various states of disrepair, often with irreplaceable broken dials, missing backs and cracked cabinets. None that took my fancy, and all at ludicrous prices. A splendid cornucopia to browse around – not pretentious or ‘twee’, basically just a huge junk shop tuned into a local customer base – not to impecunious proles such as me! I'd have no hassle bringing a radio back if one had taken my fancy, given that we were on a ship - not a 'plane.

The PPP of Belgium is only a little above that of the UK. When we were there last year we visited a large junk shop in a scruffy run-down part of Brussels (the first pic gives an indication of just how run down it was). It had countless radios - again, not in brilliant condition on the whole but the prices asked were just silly. I don't think any were especially collectable - just old, and few were in good condition. I did idly say 'what is your best price on this?' and the affable shop guy said 'The price is the price'. I've attached a few pics. The Manky Hallicrafters was 120 Euro, and the second radio pictured was 160 Euro, in reasonable shape but with no back. Don't know how much the big telly 'combo' was. The last pic is the shop-front. (The items in the left hand window are rusty old tins, which apparently, some people do buy!).

True, these places aren't 'Flea Markets' but neither are they the NVCF, and from my experience of flea markets full of tat in Paris over many years, (Our elder son is married to a French girl and lived there for 20 years), I doubt there would be many bargains to be had in Malmo or anywhere else. Even at UK car boot sales people asked daft prices for junk radios. (Cheaper on ebay!).

The French term for a flea market is ‘M.A.P’- ‘Marche Au Puces’ The one at St Ouen north of Paris always has lots of radios, but no bargains. Still worth a browse:

http://www.marcheauxpuces-saintouen.com/1.aspx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brussels litter and graffiti.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	101411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hallicrafters S53A.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	101412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old radio 160 Euro.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	101413   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040737.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	101414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Junk shop frontage.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	101415  

Old 11th Dec 2014, 6:33 pm   #4
dave walsh
Dekatron

Point taken David, i guessed as much but the strategy of arriving by cruise ship and limiting spending ashore is probaly a winner. I take your point re Malmo but I was speculating that the interest in Nordic detection might have made it a tour destination. Sounds as though the money saved on the Cruise Ship could [theoretically] be used to buy an exceptional radio but I suppose it's all a bit against the grain in terms of Forum members for whom it's about maximum return for minimum expenditure [not just in terms of money but the achievement and rescue aspect]. Today's success story with a Megger is perhaps a case in point!
Dave W
Old 11th Dec 2014, 7:34 pm   #5
German Dalek
Hexode

Hi,
Leave me alone with prices in Norway.
More than 8,- Euros for a simple chocolate bar and 15,- Euros
for a Pizza at a corner shop about 10 years ago, teached me something.
And no place to park free, even in the country!

Sweden:
Visit antique shops in the country, there you can make your bargains.
O.K., living in Sweden is expensive! Tvs are hard to find, they had not much
and not early, but radios are easy to find!

Belgium:
I have Belgium infront of the door.
The shops in Brussels are tourist traps, go out in the country, there
is the right place to buy.
Sets are cheep (radios) and these tourist traps are common in London, too.
I remember a street with a lot of white houses in the north of London,
an expensive area to live I remember.

Before you enter any country you can google in the language of the country
to find flea markets and antique shops, something of the rare nice things
internet brought to us.

Good evening!

German Dalek

MARC BOLAN, he was/is the real king of Pop Music!
Old 11th Dec 2014, 8:15 pm   #6
reelguy
Heptode

Seen in Hastings charity shop only last week.
£100 for a Hungarian radio.
They only had one set.
Peter W... Reelguy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P051214_11.08.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	101432  
Old 11th Dec 2014, 10:23 pm   #7
r_a_green
Retired Dormant Member

I am the British contingent within a group of Swedish engineers so I visit Malmo several times a year. On the last visit I took my YL for the weekend (she is indeed heavily into the Swedish crime dramas) and we found ourselves at Trollets Loppis.

No idea about prices there because nothing was marked and as I didn't want to buy anything I didn't ask. You can bet the items are not particularly cheap, but there were some interesting things to see...

There were several other items of interest too including other radios, a horn speaker and 3 or 4 mechanical calculators.

TTFN,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PB160520r.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	101441   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB160523r.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	101442   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB160525r.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	101443   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB160527r.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	101444  

Last edited by r_a_green; 11th Dec 2014 at 10:26 pm. Reason: bad punctuation
Old 12th Dec 2014, 2:13 pm   #8
dave walsh
Dekatron

Thanks for the extra info Richard. The Radiograms are definetely different and i also like the TV. I think we identify those Scandanavian crime programs with a similar part of the British psyche. Plus, like all the best in that genre, they are not really about the crime!
Dave W
Old 12th Dec 2014, 11:53 pm   #9
German Dalek
Hexode

The TV is a 1957 Blaupunkt "Toscana" with a AW 43-80.
Closeby all TVs which were sold in Sweden or Finland are blond.
Same with radios.
It was told that swedish people don`t like dark furnitures/consoles
/table-sets because of the dark, long and cold winters.

Happy week-end,

German Dalek

MARC BOLAN, he was/is the real king of Pop Music!
Closed Thread