UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Dec 2014, 1:18 am   #1
Glowpot
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sencore Mighty Mite TC 142, repair?

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me! I have a Sencore Mighty Mite TC 142 valve/tube tester. It was working Fine but the 9 pin (ecc83 etc.) socket became faulty. I replaced it with a new one. The problem is that everything is working fine except the grid leakage needle flies up to the end registering bad on every socket with every valve. All other test’s register correctly.
When I changed the socket one of the old pins broke off of the old socket and landed between two pins on another socket, which I found later. I think this caused it to short. I have been informed that I have a leaky socket. I don’t know what that means!
Could anybody give me some advice or better still is there any one here that services tube testers?

Thanks in advance
Paul.
Old 22nd Dec 2014, 11:20 am   #2
Freya
Octode

Default Re: Sencore Mighty Mite TC 142, repair?

This is quite a basic tester with a low component count, testing these components after a short would be advisable, also check the AC outputs form the transformer as it too could have been damaged although less likely.
I have included a part schematic albeit poor quality to give an idea of whats inside for others. Photo is not the actual unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	101883   Click image for larger version

Name:	insides.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	101884  
Old 22nd Dec 2014, 12:25 pm   #3
Glowpot
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Stephen, that's all bit beyond my skill. I think I may need a repair man take a look at it. Are there any on here that you can recommend. I am in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire!! So the nearer the better, though I would be willing to post it as it definitely needs sorting.

Thanks

Paul
Old 22nd Dec 2014, 3:33 pm   #4
georgesgiralt
Hexode

Hello !
Maybe the socket you installed is not of sufficient quality. These tester are wonderful to find leakage. For this they require sockets to be free from any leakage. Otherwise they will show a short even without tube inserted.
If you used a spay cleaner leaving some residue, the punishment is the same. But you may be able to clean the residue using the proper solvent.
Closed Thread