UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Sep 2017, 8:12 pm   #1
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Marconi TF2300B

Just got my hands on one of these 1980's Modulation Meters. Acquired the Manual off BAMA. Any suggestions or hints on maintenance/repair/calibration most welcome please. I've never used or worked on one before.

Regards, David
Old 17th Sep 2017, 8:37 pm   #2
Top Cap
Octode

Default Re: Marconi TF2300B

You may need the later documentation if you have a TF2300B.
Too big to put on here but I have put a temporary copy on my website for you.
www.g4cnh.com/public/MARCONI_TF2300B.pdf

Hope it loads OK, not the best of copies but better than nothing.
Les
Old 17th Sep 2017, 9:13 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

I think it's got a calibrator in it.

You can calibrate its AM measurement with a calibrated sig gen, and you can calibrate a sig gen with a calibrated spectrum analyser, and you can check the relative level measurement of one of those with a calibrated attenuator. Whichever way, you need something whose calibration you trust to act as a reference.

FM looks harder to calibrate, but if you have a sig gen as a test signal, and the modulating frequency is known accurately and you have a spectrum analyser, you can adjust the deviation until certain sideband components go through a null as seen on the analyser and a table of 'Bessel Nulls' will tell you the modulation index. Modulation index is the deviation divided by the modulating frequency.

The modulation meter ought to demodulate signals with fairly low distortion, so if you have an audio distortion meter you can check transmitter distortion using the demod output socket.

David
Old 18th Sep 2017, 9:23 am   #4
Top Cap
Octode

I have asked Ed who runs the BAMA site to include the copy I have of the TF2300B.
Old 18th Sep 2017, 9:53 am   #5
David Simpson
Nonode

Lightbulb Re: Marconi TF2300B

Right enough, Top Cap, it was the 2300B pdf I downloaded from BAMA.

Regards, David
Old 19th Sep 2017, 8:06 pm   #6
David Simpson
Nonode

Just wondering :- Has anyone else experienced missing pages from the TF2300B Manual ? eg. Pages 12, 14, 68, 70, 72, & 74.
By the way, this is an ex military version. There is no TK2302 Xtal Unit, and the 4 to 8Mz range is locked out of the range switch. Otherwise seemingly in mint condition after being stored away for 12 years.

Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TF2300B Military Version.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	149658  
Closed Thread