UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jun 2017, 1:17 pm   #1
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Default Any Interest in a Sheffield Meet-Up?

I'm aware that there are several members in Sheffield and surrounding areas and I was wondering if there'd be any interest in an informal meet-up.

There are several good pubs in the Kelham Island area: The Kelham Island Tavern, The Shakespeare and The Fat Cat for instance.

One thing that needs deciding upon is a day. These sorts of thing normally take place on Sundays, which is fine for motorists but not so hot for those of us who depend on public transport.

Comments below please, and apologises to the Mods if I've put this in the wrong section.

— Joe
Old 30th Jun 2017, 3:50 pm   #2
Reelman
Octode

Default Re: Any Interest in a Sheffield Meet-Up?

You can count me in Joe, any day is convenient for me.
Peter.
Old 30th Jun 2017, 3:56 pm   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

Sounds good to me , if swmbo will provide transport . Mick.
Old 30th Jun 2017, 3:58 pm   #4

A bit far for me, good idea and if there was a south east meeting I would attend.

Old 30th Jun 2017, 4:30 pm   #5
Refugee
Dekatron

I have given this a thought and come up with Crystal peaks as a location.
The reason for this is that it has motorway access without getting tied up in city centre traffic and also it has a tram station close by with a stop by the main rail station so there are no changes on the tram network.
Old 30th Jun 2017, 4:54 pm   #6
Reelman
Octode

Crystal Peaks is fine for me as is anywhere in a 7 mile or so radius of south Rotherham.
Peter
Old 30th Jun 2017, 5:03 pm   #7
David G4EBT
Dekatron

'60 oldjohn' has contacted me to say he'd happy to attend as I would, subject to location, day and date. (Saturdays aren't really convenient to John).

For those who are working, maybe a Sunday would be best, and there would be a bit less traffic going into Sheffield though there's no real problem with traffic in Sheffield on any day. The Kelham Island area suggested by Joe is quite close to the Parkway Park & Ride, where there's a tram station. We go to Sheffield quite often and use that P&R. (It take me half an hour to drive five miles into Hull and park the car, or an hour to drive 60 miles to either Parkway P&R or to Meadowhall). There's a tram station at Meadowhall and it takes 7 mins into Sheffield from there.

For old codgers like me, Supertram and buses are free with your national bus pass.

I don't really mind what location is decided upon - I'm fully mobile, so if anyone in Sheffield needs picking up and dropping back home - Joe for example - I'd be happy to do that.

Nice to note that come what may, there are already several forum members interested if we can reach a consensus on day, date and venue. Really, in that regard, as Joe suggested it, I think his views should hold some sway. (BTW, Joe lives to the west of Sheffield and relies on public transport, so Crystal Peaks would pose a problem in that regard).

I'll watch developments with interest!
Old 30th Jun 2017, 5:19 pm   #8
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Hi Joe

Sheffield is about 60 miles from me (near Grantham Lincolnshire). Not particularly near but much nearer than most vintage radio meets are to me. I may be interested if you get anything organised. I'm retired and so have no work commitments leaving me free to travel in the week as well as weekends.
Old 30th Jun 2017, 5:23 pm   #9
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Kelham Island is pretty central. It's walking distance to the 'bus and railway stations, though hilly. It also has 'buses every ten minutes during the day and a tram stop nearby, which connects with the railway and 'bus stations aforesaid.

We'll leave it a while for other people to spot this thread before deciding on a day/date. Obviously we're unlikely to find one that suits everybody.
Old 30th Jun 2017, 5:34 pm   #10
Refugee
Dekatron

I don't understand why Crystal Peaks would pose a public transport problem as it has a tram station and a park and ride a couple of stops away with the main railway station a stop or two before the city centre in the other direction.
The advantage is the access from the M1 at junction 31 without travelling into the city centre.
Old 30th Jun 2017, 6:45 pm   #11
Robert Darwent
Heptode

I'd be interested in attending too. I'd prefer a location somewhere near the centre of Sheffield, such as Kelham Island that has already been suggested. In any case travel via supertram is only another 15 to 20 minutes more from Crystal Peaks to reach the city centre where there are many suitable pubs to meet up at, in addition to the three already mentioned by Joe - not much choice at Crystal Peaks in that regard. As for a day - my preference would be for a Saturday or Sunday.

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 30th Jun 2017, 7:28 pm   #12
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

That was my thinking, Robert. I can't speak for anybody else but I'd certainly rather spend my time in a decent pub with good (cheap) beer and food that a soulless shopping centre.

Of course if this idea is successful there's nothing to stop anybody organising another at a different venue a few months hence.
Old 30th Jun 2017, 11:01 pm   #13
fetteler
Octode

Absolutely - I'd be interested in good beer and talking rubbish all night! I could probably kip down at my brother's in Dore and then be able to get a bit tipsy without having to worry about driving

IMHO Kelham island is a great idea for a venue.

Steve.
Old 1st Jul 2017, 9:50 am   #14
AidanLunn
Heptode

I'd be very interested, too. I've never been to a forum meet up before!

While Crystal Peaks is easy to get to and is more equidistant for those who are interested, being near the city centre, Kelham Island is closer to transport interchanges and has even better transport links than Crystal Peaks has.

Cheers,
Aidan Lunn
Old 3rd Jul 2017, 12:17 pm   #15
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

OK, it seems that nobody else has a positive preference for a week-day so how about meeting-up in the Kelham Island Tavern at noon on Sunday 16 July? Obviously people can arrive later than that but not earlier as they won't be open.

If anybody requires a proper meal we can adjourn to the Fat Cat, less than a five minute walk on the level away, at some time before 3 pm.
Old 3rd Jul 2017, 12:42 pm   #16
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePillenwerfer View Post
...so how about meeting-up in the Kelham Island Tavern at noon on Sunday 16 July?
Date and location sound good to me - probably won't be able to arrive much before 1:30pm though.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 3rd Jul 2017, 1:23 pm   #17
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

I've just realised that I should have included the address of the KIT. It's: 62 Russell St, Sheffield S3 8RW.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	map.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	145567  
Old 3rd Jul 2017, 11:02 pm   #18
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Should be fine for me. Hope it's a good turnout!

Does anyone know what the car parking situations is? Car park at the premises, or on-street unmetered/unlimited, or what?

Alternatively, if car parking is a problem, the Nunnery Square Park & Ride (just off the Sheffield Parkway about 5 miles towards the city centre from J33 of the M1), is on the Yellow Route Supertram (from Meadowhall to Middlewood) and stops at Shalesmoor, which is about 500 Metres on foot from Kelham Island. On Sundays, it stops at Nunnery Square at 19mins past the hour, 39 minutes, and 59 minutes. From Nunnery Square to Shalesmoor on Supertram takes 14 minutes. Timetable is here if it's on interest to anyone:

http://www.supertram.com/uploads/KC2...WebVersion.pdf

Fare is free if you have a bus pass - you just pay a small fee to park.

Last edited by David G4EBT; 3rd Jul 2017 at 11:17 pm.
Old 3rd Jul 2017, 11:25 pm   #19
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I intend being there. Looking forwards to it.

John.
Old 4th Jul 2017, 9:38 am   #20
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

There's some free on-street parking plus a big car park bang opposite.
Closed Thread