UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Apr 2014, 11:58 am   #41
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Unhappy Re: Your favourite books?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
In the context of radio I'm a fan of pretty much all the ARRL amateur radio handbooks - they seem far more comprehensive and logical than their RSGB equivalents.
Agreed. And it should to be mentioned that there are a lot of technical errors in the RSGB handbooks, unfortunately.

Al.
Old 23rd Apr 2014, 3:28 pm   #42
bobbyball
Octode

Default Re: Your favourite books?

I also have "The Mazda book of PAL receiver servicing" - especially relevant to me as I am restoring a Decca CTV25, which, alongside the BRC2000 chassis featured, is described in similar detail; the book is of course slightly biased towards the BRC chassis!

Also, a favourite collection, and long term useful reference, is my set of "Radio and Television Servicing", once to be found at the better public reference libraries but now long gone. I must have spent a fortune on photocopies of circuits over the years before finally finding a set of these books at the household junk auction!

I also have a fascinating book from the 1930's called "How it works and How it's done" which has all sorts of things like trains, cars, lifts, power stations etc. Can't remember the author as it's on the shelf at home!
Old 23rd Apr 2014, 4:19 pm   #43

For fun reading any of Neville Shute's fiction novels are worth a look.

Old 23rd Apr 2014, 6:28 pm   #44
woodchips
Octode

Or what books won't be going to the charity shop when you downsize?

Right First Time by Frank Price (quality control), The Cuckoo's Egg by Cliff Stoll (finding a computer hacker), and, as merlinmaxwell has suggested Requiem For a Wren by Neville Shute (just read it).
Old 24th Apr 2014, 12:16 am   #45
Trish
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyball View Post
I also have "The Mazda book of PAL receiver servicing" - especially relevant to me as I am restoring a Decca CTV25, which, alongside the BRC2000 chassis featured, is described in similar detail; the book is of course slightly biased towards the BRC chassis!
I used to work with David Seal (the author of the above book) when he was at the Guildford Tech. The receivers mentioned were all over the college class rooms, hence why the emphasis on them. I still have my signed copy of his book in my collection, alongside other reference books like the ARRL handbooks from various years.
Old 29th Apr 2014, 6:21 pm   #46
John KC0G
Hexode

Two items which will survive any downsizing of my book collection are:

1. The History of Radio Telegraphy and Telephony, by G.G. Blake, Chapman and Hall, 1928, reprinted by the Arno Press, NY, in 1974. The original edition had a binding which was a little light for the weight of the paper. It took me a very long time to find a copy. I think that I first became aware of this book form a reference in one of Pat Hawker's, G3VA, Technical Topics columns.

2. Journal of the Institution of Electrical Engineers, Vol. 94, Part IIIa, No.s 11-16, 1947. These are the collected papers from the Radiocommunication conference held at the IEE, March 25-28, 1947. They run to just over 1000 pages and are a fascinating record of some of the WW2 work, and provide some glimpses into the future. Some of the overview papers were reprinted several years ago in VMARS News Letter. The conference followed the very successful one on Radiolocation held at the IEE in 1946.

73 John
Closed Thread