UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Aug 2015, 10:48 pm   #1
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question An Anritsu Reflection Bridge: a few questions.

Intro.
1. This thread has arisen as a consequence of another thread on this forum which is currently W-I-P.

2. This item has been sitting in my 'round-to-it' pile for longer than I can remember; I can't even recall how - or from where - it came into my possession, but it was many years ago.
Attached are three photos. to aid my questions about this item. Photo 1 is simply to supply its size. The other two are the really relevant ones.

3. I must admit that devices like this are on the edge of my understanding of RF measurement devices and methods, but I do believe that I have the basic concepts of its use understood. However, searching the 'Net for info. on this specific item has revealed nothing (probably due to its age). What I did unearth - which was of a general nature on similar devices - has left me confused, and after some initial playing around with it I have become more confused.
Hence, it's time to ask!

Main text.
First, I have assumed that the BNC connectors are designed to be used in the following way:
(a) The 'INPUT' conn. is where the signal source is connected (in my case an HP 8640B);
(b) The 'REFERENCE' conn. is for connecting a 50 Ohm dummy load;
(c) The 'TEST' conn. is for connecting the measurement device (which in my case is a non-sweeping spectrum analyzer);
(d) The 'X' conn. is for connecting the DUT.
► Can someone confirm all of that - or otherwise - please?

Second, the insertion loss, from 'INPUT' (as input) to 'X' (as output), is 6 dB (at 10 MHz): that sounds about right to me √. However, the insertion loss, 'X' (as input) to 'TEST' (as output) is 26 dB (at 10 MHz). I was expecting another 6 dB, not 26 dB.
► Is that difference (26 instead of 6) a sign of a malfunction, or is that 26 dB to be expected? I ask that since general info. from the 'Net about similar devices states 6 dB, not 26 dB. And if it is correct, why the extra -20 dB? Surely that will have the effect of desensitizing the device for the purpose of measuring the return loss?

And finally, any general remarks of how to gain useful info. about the DUT using this particular item will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Al.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	General view.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	112234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front view.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	112235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear view.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	112236  
Old 29th Aug 2015, 3:19 pm   #2
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: An Anritsu Reflection Bridge: a few questions.

Using the time-honoured method of experiment and test, plus studying various non-specific product text-books, I feel that I have gathered enough data about this device to be able to put it to good and meaningful use.

So on account of those remarks and the zero response to date, I am happy for this thread to be closed.

Al. / Aug. 29, 2015 //
Old 29th Aug 2015, 4:24 pm   #3
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: An Anritsu Reflection Bridge: a few questions.

My guess is that the extra -20dB is so the receiver or spectrum analyser is not overloaded.
Old 29th Aug 2015, 4:25 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

Yes, that should do the job for you.

You can use a sweeping spectrum analyser and a noise generator or else a comb generator or else a tracking generator.

David
Old 29th Aug 2015, 7:50 pm   #5
Pamphonica
Nonode

There's a brief spec at the end of this document:
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...Y_j3j8u9FxYrHQ

Jeremy
Old 29th Aug 2015, 8:12 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

6dB would have been what you would have got from a maximally-coupled hybrid. This one is either set up for lower coupling by the transformer turns ratios, or else there is an attenuator in there to buffer the impedance presented by the analyser/receiver/detector so that it doesn't unbalance things and spoil the directivity.

Essentially there's a transformer coupled Wheatstone bridge in there. To get wide bandwidth in a measurement transformer one trick is to use the attenuation of a minimum loss pad to bring the impedance level from 50 Ohms down to as low as feasible, the transformer magnetising L sets a lower 3dB point for the low frequency rolloff.

Wes Heyward put some info on transformer hybrids in "Intro to RF design" and his follow-up book. I put a bit in Sprat 61 configured as a dual directional power meter.

David
Old 29th Aug 2015, 11:18 pm   #7
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Thumbs up Re: An Anritsu Reflection Bridge: a few questions.

Thank you, Jeremy, re: post #5. (What does puzzle me how come I didn't find that link! )

Al.
Old 29th Aug 2015, 11:21 pm   #8
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Wink Re: An Anritsu Reflection Bridge: a few questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
You can use a sweeping spectrum analyser and a noise generator or else a comb generator or else a tracking generator.
Yes, I probably could - but, unfortunately, I don't own such expensive R.F. exotica!

However, my thanks go to David (Radio Wrangler) and Dave (G8HQP) for their respective remarks.

Al.
Closed Thread