UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Aug 2015, 7:27 am   #1
Neil Purling
Nonode

Default Tone controls for TDA2030 amplifier

Having bought one of these cheap panels online I see it has only a volume control.

I have looked at a active tone control with a Baxandall network & op amp. The op amp type was not stated.
Has anyone made such a circut & can tell me what type of op-amp is used?
Old 28th Aug 2015, 2:57 pm   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Tone controls for TDA2030 amplifier

Unless you are using the offset-null functionality (which is chip-specific), op-amps tend to be more or less interchangeable; they all aim at the same ideal, and the differences are in how they fall short of that ideal. Your choice is basically between a low-noise type such as the 5532, or a low-power type such as the 2904.

If you use a socket for the IC, it will be easy to compare a few different types.
Old 29th Aug 2015, 4:23 am   #3
Restoration73
Nonode

At line level, any op-amp will do, e.g. 741, and assuming you only have a single dc
rail (+ and 0V) then needs to be biased, see fig 4.2.6 in this example
http://www.learnabout-electronics.or...plifiers42.php
Old 29th Aug 2015, 6:59 am   #4
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Mark Hennessy's site www.markhennessy.co.uk (interesting site BTW) has a schematic from an active speaker he built using a TDA2030 that has a buffer and tone control on it. See the second version, it has some changes made. The circuit is simple and easy to knock up.

I'm in the process of building it on breadboard but I'm using only the front end as I have some amplifier module's (TTC E1206 6 transistor Hi Fi audio amplifier) that use two 2SC793's for the OP transistors instead of the TDA2030.

Andy.

Last edited by Diabolical Artificer; 29th Aug 2015 at 7:05 am.
Old 29th Aug 2015, 11:50 am   #5
Neil Purling
Nonode

Re: Post #3 Figure 4.2.6 is what I was looking at making. DC supply will be +12V.
Old 29th Aug 2015, 1:15 pm   #6
Restoration73
Nonode

741 op-amp (or TL071 or TL081) is ok at 12 volts, one further thing to note is if you are
using the same power supply as TDA2030, then the op amp +ve should connect to
the main 12 rail via a resistor say, 100 ohm, and connect a capacitor, say 100uF electrolytic, across the opamp +dc and ground ; this provides decoupling.

Tony
Old 29th Aug 2015, 2:07 pm   #7
paulsherwin

Although pretty much all standard op-amps will work in a tone control module, some do produce better audio performance than others, so it's worth paying a pound or two more for a part specifically optimised for audio work. As has been said, there is a standardised pinout so you can experiment if you use an IC socket.
Closed Thread