UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jul 2016, 12:12 pm   #1
PSValves
Pentode

Default New threat to electronics?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-experts-warn/

Not quite sure where to put this story - seems relevant to us all, particularly members in the south.
Old 27th Jul 2016, 1:15 pm   #2
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: New threat to electronics?

Hmmm... not sure about the 'fuse box' in the photo...

Non-native species do fill me with dread. They can shift the balance of the ecosystem wildly!
Old 27th Jul 2016, 1:18 pm   #3
kellys_eye
Octode

Modern properties with RCD should have no problems.

I recall have more trouble with my (then) girlfriends (now wife) pet house rabbit - it had a propensity towards live wires but never seemed to hit the live core.....

My feelings towards it were less than generous when it chewed through a multi-core cable joining two high-end graphics cards together on the rear of my PC (back in 2000 so we're talking an old system here).
Old 27th Jul 2016, 1:21 pm   #4
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

"Fuse box" ,I think is a junction box.Anyway need watching out for these wee beasties.
Old 27th Jul 2016, 1:25 pm   #5
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
Non-native species do fill me with dread. They can shift the balance of the ecosystem wildly!
We live in a hot spot area for these:

http://phasmidstudygroup.org/phasmid...asmid-sighting

We have them in our garden and sometimes in the house, no threat to electrics as they are the "Unarmed" variety.

Lawrence.
Old 27th Jul 2016, 2:04 pm   #6
paulsherwin

The dangers of the ants seem a bit overblown to me. Now, if these things ever naturalise here we'll have some real problems:

http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/...r-cars/?page=1

They are a relative of the pine marten and love to chew electrical wiring, particularly in cars. A Swiss friend explained that people in some areas have to take out special 'marder insurance' to cover the sometimes extensive damage. Fortunately they aren't found in the UK (yet).
Old 27th Jul 2016, 2:13 pm   #7
ms660
Dekatron

Keep your fingers away from those for sure if you ever come across one.

Lawrence.
Old 27th Jul 2016, 2:30 pm   #8
camallison
Heptode

When I lived in Germany in the 80s, one if our service engineers had the misfortune to be a victim of one of these. It trashed a main loom in the engine bay. Fixing it wasn't cheap either.

Colin
Old 27th Jul 2016, 2:57 pm   #9
greenstar
Octode

It would be a problem to have the marder. Hopefully they won't displace our native martins. Maybe they will predate grey squirrels.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/eart...l-defence.html
This sort of mess happens when you mess with ecology, and we are still finding ways to do that! Squirrels stole all my pears this year, but at least they don't eat my radios.
I don't think we have ever understood that ecosystems are networks, you do something here and get a problem over there.
Old 27th Jul 2016, 4:34 pm   #10
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Lab smells bad the last few days...it's coming from the services cupboard!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20131021-01784_opt.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	127867  
Old 27th Jul 2016, 6:11 pm   #11
Wellington
Hexode

Wink Re: New threat to electronics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSValves View Post
I'm pretty sceptical on "Oh No! The [insert name of exotic invasive species] is set to ravage our country" stories. I agree that the presence of these creatures is undesirable, but I often despair of the scaremongering tone of these pieces. I'm a little surprised to see this in the Telegraph, as this sort of story is typical Daily Mail fare.

When I notice that the article gets the nomenclature for naming organisms wrong (Genus should be capitalised, species is not - e.g. Lasius neglectus) and the two experts contradict each other:
"Phillip Buckham-Bonnett … said the species is smaller than British ants (3-6mm) but more aggressive…"
"Dr Robinson added … 'These new ants are not aggressive…'"
then I start to rapidly lose interest…

Perhaps I've been desensitized after reading about Harlequin Ladybirds, Diamondback moths, New Zealand flatworms, Oak Processionary moths etcetera ad nauseam.

It's strange, it's as if all these stories are designed to stir up subconscious fears about 'foreign invaders'. I wonder why they keep publishing this stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_G4MDC View Post
Lab smells bad the last few days...it's coming from the services cupboard!
Oh no! What's that? An immolated squirrel?
Old 27th Jul 2016, 7:26 pm   #12
ms660
Dekatron

Actually they, ants, moths etc as previously quoted are a real threat if not contained and dealt with, I've been in the tree game long enough to see what can happen as regards tree pests/diseases etc.

Any sighting of the Oak processionary moth (Thaumetopoea processionea) should be reported to the Forestry Commission.

If a garden tree dies as a result of these new threats and falls on folks beloved radio workshop or house then they will probably be the first to complain.

Lawrence.
Old 27th Jul 2016, 8:14 pm   #13
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I'm twelve miles from the Eastbourne invasion here in Bexhill . I wonder why these critters are so focused on electrical locations It might make an interesting electro-magnetic research subject. Magnetism seems seems to be a factor in bird navigation. Bats use Radar or is that Sonar? Why aren't other types of ants fixated on electrics .

I had a Yellow Jack Wasp problem in the North last year. The weren't in the house wiring or my Radio Store but they showed a great interest in chasing me round the yard away from the nest and into the house! I'm not at all someone who is intimidated by insects [flying or otherwise] and certainly not Bees or Wasps but these were vicious blighters. I felt like the bear in the Children's book "The Honey Hunt" who has to dive in the river to escape an enraged swarm!

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 27th Jul 2016 at 8:21 pm.
Old 27th Jul 2016, 8:41 pm   #14
ms660
Dekatron

Bats use echo location (ultrasound) above 100Khz with some species.

Wonderful creatures, they're not blind either.

Across the valley from us is a large nationally recognized colony of Greater Horseshoe bats (Prideux Wood) There have been Lesser Horseshoe bats roosting in the shafts of an old tine mine on some land I've got.

Got some in an exposed verge opening on our open entrance porch, we purposely left it open for wildlife.

Our native wildlife needs all the help it can get at the moment, persecuted for no good reason.

A bit off topic I know but me and her love watching the wildlife.

Lawrence.
Old 27th Jul 2016, 9:59 pm   #15
jim_jobe
Heptode

I'm an entomologist in another life and am very familiar with Lasius spp. Yes, these reports are definitely to be taken with a large pinch of salt. All that's going to happen now is that householders are going to be paying fortunes to pest control "experts" who couldn't tell an ant from their other thing beginning with "a" to eradicate our common Black Garden Ants and lots of beneficial insects as well as colateral damage. Don't you just love newspapers? (Especially the Daily Bigot).
jim
Old 27th Jul 2016, 10:20 pm   #16
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Kudos available to the person who identifies the invader of the 3 phase box.
It is not a squirrel...looks like a bit.
Old 28th Jul 2016, 12:21 am   #17
Wellington
Hexode

Thumbs up Re: New threat to electronics?

Quote:
Not a squirrel? I felt sure that bushy tail was a dead giveaway!

I suppose it looks a bit stout to be a grey squirrel, and the colour's not quite right…

The colour doesn't look right, either, for a stoat or a weasel (and I thought both those animals would be too clever to chew insulation).

I was going to say a vole, but I've just looked those up and they have naked tails.

I'll go for decaying weasel.
Old 28th Jul 2016, 1:15 am   #18
fetteler
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_jobe View Post
I'm an entomologist in another life and am very familiar with Lasius spp. Yes, these reports are definitely to be taken with a large pinch of salt. All that's going to happen now is that householders are going to be paying fortunes to pest control "experts" who couldn't tell an ant from their other thing beginning with "a" to eradicate our common Black Garden Ants and lots of beneficial insects as well as colateral damage. Don't you just love newspapers? (Especially the Daily Bigot).
jim

Spot on Jim - absolutely spot on

Steve.
Old 28th Jul 2016, 5:25 am   #19
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Ants are just fine so long as they don't invade the lawn. I've been on a quest to eradicate serious yellow ant colonies that have my lawn with big humps and hollows. At least they don't bite, unlike the black ants in the lawn that do. I now have an ant free humpy bumpy lawn, which took quite an effort - but at least I can now level it.

Ants may well do good in some way, the same as wasps do - but I suspect that none of us would welcome a wasp nest in the garden.
Old 28th Jul 2016, 8:40 am   #20
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
It is not a squirrel...looks like a bit.
I know what it is, it's an invasive species....

...The bush tailed Patagonian murder rat

Lawrence.
Closed Thread