UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jul 2016, 9:56 am   #1
PsychMan
Octode

Default Junghans "Synchron" Wall Clock

I bought a clock believed to be 30s-40s of German manufacture. Its a synchronous wall clock. I wired it up yesterday and got it running, the movement runs very quietly and it kept perfect time for at least 4 hours.

I decided to leave it running overnight and this morning found it had started running backwards during the night. As far as I can see no power cuts last night so a bit baffled by this? I've started it in the correct direction again and am keeping an eye on it.

The starter lever did feel loose and initially it was hard to see which way to move it to start the clock. Its possible this lever was left in the incorrect position when I started it. Not too sure however if this makes an difference.

I do plan on cleaning and lubricating the movement, but have not done so yet.
Old 25th Jul 2016, 5:44 pm   #2
PsychMan
Octode

Default Re: Junghans "Synchron" Wall Clock

Yes once again found the clock is running backwards after some time. I'm going to need to get to the mechanism.

Any idea what could cause it to do this? I've had no power interruptions
Old 25th Jul 2016, 8:24 pm   #3

If it is a bit stiff (dry oil etc.) any small variation of the mains could cause it to go backwards. Simply switching on something could make the mains waveform bad enough.

Old 26th Jul 2016, 12:51 pm   #4
PsychMan
Octode

Looks like ill have to bite the bullet and clean the movement. Ive not done anything with clocks before so hope it wont be too difficult. Hopefully I can clean and oil enough of it in situ without tearing it apart. Ill add some pictures tonight
Old 27th Jul 2016, 11:26 am   #5
PsychMan
Octode

Ive attached some pics of the clock and movement. I found the starter wasn't setup very well and often got stuck, this has been rectified on reassembly and works better.

I oiled any pivot points I could reach, but when it came to the rotor bearings, I think these are what you call "sintered"?

I didn't have a light enough oil for this so will have to go back to this when I get some sewing machine oil. The mech seems to run a bit smoother, but I think the thicker oil is making the rotor move less freely.

One other possibility that occurred to me, is whether the mains flex behind the clock was moving and coming into contact with the starter, and causing these problems. If its that I'll feel very stupid indeed!

All the same it will be nice to oil those motor bearings and look at earthing this somewhere for safety.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_1.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	127853   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	127854   Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	127855   Click image for larger version

Name:	image4.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	127856   Click image for larger version

Name:	image5.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	127857  

Old 27th Jul 2016, 11:27 am   #6
PsychMan
Octode

This pic wouldn't fit in the last post. But I believe the brass stuff is under the black clip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image6.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	127858  
Closed Thread