UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Nov 2014, 12:37 am   #1
Mikey66
Hexode

Default Teleton VX-1110

Here are some pictures of a set I picked up a few weeks ago. There is a good layer of dust inside and one of the valves has gone to air, I don't recognise any of the valve markings though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Teleton1.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	100492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Teleton2.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	100493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Teleton3.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	100494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Teleton4.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	100495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Teleton6.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	100496  

Mike C
Old 22nd Nov 2014, 2:29 am   #2
The teleman
Pentode

Default Re: Teleton VX-1110

Hi Mike, wow that takes me back a bit the odd valves, the low focus voltage CRT & the deadly metal case. If I remember correctly it uses a EHT valve the number 3AT2 springs to mind, I may still have some valves for this, I'll have a look & let you know. Apart from a low emission CRT & the odd valve here & there the set was very reliable. That's the first one I've seen since the late 70's.
There are no British equivalent to any of the valves that I'm aware of & the one that's down to air is the frame output. It looks like a PL508 but its not.

Chris

Last edited by The teleman; 22nd Nov 2014 at 2:37 am. Reason: Bit more info
Old 22nd Nov 2014, 1:48 pm   #3
Mikey66
Hexode

Yes Chris, the valve that has gone to air is a 17JZ8 and as you say looks like a PL508!
The phrase hens teeth is coming to mind

EDIT I take the "Hens teeth" comment back. There seems to plenty of them about in the states!

Mike C
Old 22nd Nov 2014, 4:17 pm   #4
AC/HL
Dekatron

I've got one here, a pull but it does have a vacuum. Yours for the postage unless you fancy a trip over the border. Might have some of the others, what are they?
Old 22nd Nov 2014, 4:35 pm   #5
Mikey66
Hexode

Thanks Bill. PM on its way

Mike C
Old 23rd Nov 2014, 12:54 am   #6
ntscuser
Hexode

Is this one of those early transcoding PAL-NTSC sets?
Old 23rd Nov 2014, 11:13 am   #7
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

These valves are known as 'COMPACTRONS' and often contain three or more valves in the same envelope. They were produced by Toshiba for the American market and have .45 amp heaters. Check the number of pins on the base....A PL508 won't fit in the 'ole.
Very reliable and give a good picture despite the simple PAL circuit. John.
Old 23rd Nov 2014, 12:12 pm   #8
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello Mike, I hope you don't mind me posting some pictures of my VX-1110 Teleton on your thread. I pulled it off the tip around 1990 and it has been sitting around ever since. It was considered a bit boring at the time and was put aside after powering up only to produce a frame collapse.
I just had to pull it out [despite pouring rain] a few minutes ago. I switched it on and indeed the collapse was still present. Removing the back and easing the chassis back revealed three dry joints on the frame hold control. Resoldering these produced the pictures you see. I have not touched it! No setting up, convergence, nothing! Like yours my channel tuning knob is missing but I think I have something very similar from a Sony.
The pictures are brilliant with excellent components that were all of quality manufacture. The frame valve is a triode/pentode, similar to a PCL805 but fatter! They also produced a 14" version with the same presentation and circuit. All the very best with yours and I bet it's as good as this one. Regards, John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Teleton VX-1100.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	100532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Teleton VX-1100 (1).jpg
Views:	417
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	100533   Click image for larger version

Name:	Teleton VX-1100 (2).jpg
Views:	429
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	100534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Teleton VX-1100 (3).jpg
Views:	423
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	100535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Teleton VX-1100 (4).jpg
Views:	383
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	100536  

Old 23rd Nov 2014, 12:18 pm   #9
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

We used to service quite a few of these, not that they needed it very often.

Very well made.

Some of the ones we had out were the later touch-tuning Teletons; the single-contact touch tuning was quite a unique design.
Old 23rd Nov 2014, 12:26 pm   #10
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Yes and a much better picture than the Sony equivalent and a much longer life delta gun tube. J.
Old 23rd Nov 2014, 12:29 pm   #11
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Nice to hear the Teleton name being praised. They don't seem to be held in high esteem nowadays. Does anyone know more about the company?
Old 23rd Nov 2014, 12:40 pm   #12
Mikey66
Hexode

I'll be well chuffed if mine produces a good a picture as yours John

Mike C
Old 23rd Nov 2014, 12:51 pm   #13
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
I pulled it off the tip around 1990 and it has been sitting around ever since
Mine was also rescued from the tip It worked well for several years in my workshop, until I accidentally knocked a drink over on top of it (it was on at the time).
The liquid had caused thermal shock to the line output valve, I never did manage to find a replacement, so it went back to the tip when I moved house four years ago.

It was very American looking, I too never liked the plastic woodgrain metal cabinet, but I wish I had kept it now!

Mark
Old 23rd Nov 2014, 2:06 pm   #14
jay_oldstuff
Octode

I too had one of these sets once. bought from a car boot for £1, It did work when plugged in with some frame cramping. i remember it was very sensitive and pulled in a good picture with just a loop of wire connected to the back. I passed mine on to a forum member some years ago. sometimes wish I’d kept it now.

Jay
Old 23rd Nov 2014, 2:13 pm   #15
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Sadly, Teleton was one those brands no one took seriously and the truth was there was nothing wrong with the companies' products.

Perhaps Teleton was more successful in other markets, in European countries for example. Teleton should be pronounced as Teletone.

DFWB.
Old 23rd Nov 2014, 5:56 pm   #16
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Does anyone know more about the company?
Hello Nick,

Finding much information about the Teleton brand has not proved very fruitful, but here is what I have found in the past:

Teleton Electro (UK) Ltd, Teleton House, Robjohns Road, Chelmsford, Essex (in 1970).

Teleton HiFi products were first imported and distributed in the UK in 1968, by Teleton Elektro (UK) Co Ltd, 66-68 Margaret Street, London, W1.

In 1982, at Somerton Works, Princes Avenue, Westcliff-on-Sea, Essex – a former Ekco/Radio & Television Services service department site! UK office of Teleton, Japan – consumer electronics.

Wireless World June 71, page 277 says that Teleton was the European marketing organisation for Mitsubishi….or was it simply Mitsubishi Shoji Kaisha of Japan, who were the export distributor for Teleton of Japan?

Teleton already was, or later became, a part of the General Corp. of Japan. In the 1960s, “General” was a brand name of Yaou Electric Co Ltd of Japan. I have seen "General" branded products on Ebay UK.

All rather confusing! In any event, I have always found their products to be well made.

Regards,

Dazzlevision
Old 23rd Nov 2014, 6:50 pm   #17
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Hello,

Just had another trawl through the net to update my researches:

Teleton Electro (UK) Ltd, Teleton House, Robjohns Road, Chelmsford, Essex (in 1970). Teleton HiFi products were first imported and distributed in the UK in 1968, by Teleton Elektro (UK) Co Ltd, 66-68 Margaret Street, London, W1.

In the 1960s, “General” was a brand name of Yaou Electric Co Ltd of Japan, which changed its name to General Corporation circa 1966.

In 1970, Mitsubishi Coprporation of Japan, acquired a 50% stake in Teleton Elekto, its European distributor based in West Germany. It then set up a UK company Teleton Electro (UK) Ltd, to market General Corporation products in the UK using the Teleton brand name.

In 1982, Teleton service and spares were handled by Technical Services Organisation (TSO), at Somerton Works, Princes Avenue, Westcliff-on-Sea, Essex – a former Ekco/Radio & Television Services site.

Wireless World June 71, page 277 says that Teleton was the European marketing organisation for Mitsubishi Shoji Kaisha of Japan.

Fujitsu of Japan acquired a majority stake in General in 1984 and the company was renamed Fujitsu-General. Their main product nowadays is air conditioning equipment.

Regards,

Dazzlevision
Old 23rd Nov 2014, 6:55 pm   #18
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Thank you very much, Dazzlevision, that's very comprehensive.

I'd never really heard of "General Corporation".

I had one of their late 1970s tuner-amps once, bought for £2 or so at a jumble sale in the late 1980s. It looked rather nice and was incredibly slim, but performance was uninspiring, especially FM radio reception. It was also let down by intermittent switches which didn't respond to cleaning.

Nick.
Old 23rd Nov 2014, 7:16 pm   #19
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Nick,
I remember in 1981 a re-badged version of the Toshiba V8600 video recorder that was marketed as a "General" . Identical to the Toshiba machine except for the colour of the case. A sort of champagne colour instead of grey.

I'm not sure if General was subsidiary of Toshiba or just another firm re-badging other the firms products.

DFWB.
Old 23rd Nov 2014, 7:29 pm   #20
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Interesting, David. I wonder whether it was a grey import?
Closed Thread