UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jun 2017, 8:38 pm   #21
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Grundig TK5 found for free

As others have said, the problem is often the shipping. It is for me, anyway. I paid rather more that a fiver for a TK5 at a local sale, but then I could take the machine, get on a bus and end up 2 minutes walk from my front door. It's rather different when the machine is 100 miles away and you have no car (I don't drive).

If you use a delivery company then (a) it's expensive (although that may no be the 'killer' several times I've paid 5 times as much for the shipping as for the unit to have something sent from the Startes), (b) sometimes the seller is unable to pack and send the item and (c) I have discovered that 'handle with care' is postal-speak for 'please play American Football with this parcel'
Old 26th Jun 2017, 10:14 pm   #22
slidertogrid
Octode

A very nice save! I agree its the cost of courier or distance that puts me off buying some things I would otherwise like.
I had a nice working Bush reel to reel a while back with tapes. I had some stuff to put in a local auction so I thought I would take the tape recorder.. It eventually sold for £5. less £2 auction fee, £2 PAT test, the balance then had 17% commission deducted. all fees plus vat. It didn't sell the first time so that incurred another £2.35 fee to auction it the following week..
I would have been a few quid better off skipping it! I Never thought about robbing the valves and chucking it.
I know what to do with the next one...
Rich.
Old 26th Jun 2017, 11:08 pm   #23
Refugee
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
I have discovered that 'handle with care' is postal-speak for 'please play American Football with this parcel'
Having traveled to college by train for a couple of years in the 1970s I have seen with my own eyes what happens to parcels.
The post bags were thrown from the mail car to the platform to create a heap against the office wall and then from by the wall into the mail car of another train.
In modern times all you do is to substitute a 30 foot trailer for the station platform and mail car.
There has been little change over the years apart from the loading and unloading being carried out behind locked doors.
Old 26th Jun 2017, 11:21 pm   #24
julie_m
Dekatron

If you're scrapping a tape recorder, hang onto the valves and the transformers. There is usually an ECC83 and an EL84, ECL82 or 86 -- they could be the makings of a nice little introduction to valve amplification.
Old 26th Jun 2017, 11:50 pm   #25
Refugee
Dekatron

It takes very little modification to make a tape recorder playback amplifier into a magnetic pick up stage for a record player.
I did it with a pair of boards out of an old language school and it worked well.
Old 27th Jun 2017, 5:15 am   #26
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I actually collect old tape recorders (I am sure others here do as well). My justifications for this include :

There is a vast range of quality from cheap home machines up to the likes of Revox, Brennell, etc.

There's a vast range of designs, rim drive pocket machines, rather better portables/pocket machines, the typical 1960s home machines (often in the UK with a BSR deck), ones with multiple motors, electronic control using discrete transistors or simple ICs, various special facilities, etc. Much wider than the typical radios.

They don't depend on external signals so will still work when AM or FM transmissions finish

They are more complex than most home radios (and thus more interesting to me) but the highest voltage is mains or a couple of hundred volts HT, not the 10kV or so in a vintage TV (Yes, the former can still kill you!). And there's no scary CRT that could implode.

But do I have to justify it?
Old 27th Jun 2017, 7:40 am   #27
stevehertz
Dekatron

Regarding shipping, I always put items in boxes that are much larger than the item itself. Ask yourself, "If this package is thrown the length of a lorry (which it may be), will it survive?". The only way to be assured that the answer to that question is "yes" is to fit stiff padding that's (depending on the size/weight of the item) about four to six inches all around the item in that large box. I once received a video machine from abroad that the sender had meticulously packed using finely cut pieces and slithers of expanded foam to perfectly fit the gap all around the machine. It was a work of art. Trouble was, this 'gap' was about 15mm. The result? the corner of the machine was completely smashed having clearly been thrown or dropped at some point. The guy couldn't believe it. I think he thought that these people handle packages with kid gloves! Er no..

So when shipping, to avoid damage the 'answer' is easy; use a much larger box than the item being packed with good, strong padding - bubble wrap, foam - all around the item. However, not always so easy to do in practise when you have to locate a suitable box and packing material (I buy my bubble wrap by 50m rolls) and not always what you want to 'be bothered' doing when the item is worth a fiver. Including taking it to the shipper etc you're maybe looking at up two hours work. I know, I've done it many times!
Old 27th Jun 2017, 9:23 am   #28
newlite4
Octode

Does the clover leaf symbol on the deck signify that this is one of the Belfast made machines?
Neil
Old 27th Jun 2017, 10:06 am   #29
Refugee
Dekatron

I have seen that logo on Grundig kit quite often. It may well have been a period thing as opposed to the location the unit was made in.
Old 27th Jun 2017, 10:41 am   #30
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Dunmurry opened in 1960 - the TK5 was out of production by then.
Closed Thread