UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Apr 2017, 6:05 pm   #1
skodajag
Pentode

Default Hot water heater.

Do you think this would pass health and safety?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	healthandsafety copy.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	140804  
Old 11th Apr 2017, 6:51 pm   #2
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: Hot water heater.

Eek! I wonder how long that lasted on the market? Point 5 in the blurb seems like a sort of decidedly incidental concern for earth continuity. It would be interesting to see one for real, if only as an illustration of why decades of safety regulations are a Good Thing. There may not be many left around though, possibly a substantial number of owners either got a bad belt, or an electrically savvy relative blanched with horror and binned it.

An interesting historical find, nonetheless.
Old 11th Apr 2017, 7:00 pm   #3
skodajag
Pentode

Yes, I wasn't too sure of just how dodgy it was but did think it seemed the next best thing to an electric stove on the side of the bath....
Old 11th Apr 2017, 7:08 pm   #4
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

There is a current Shower heater common in the far east which is oh too similar to this heater!
Its common to find a shower heater with single insulated wires from a socket ( if you are lucky ) in the shower room. Usually no earth, in the Philippines there is no earth anywhere unless you drive a spike in the ground. RCD is a rarity. Isolation switches never.
Strangely many of the heaters are made in England, models you never see here though.
Old 11th Apr 2017, 7:28 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Central America still has a horrifying range of ~~electric shower-heads~~ as searching "suicide shower" images on the likes of Google will show.

As a sensible "Gringo" I always avoided these - even if it meant washing outside with a bucket-full of water. I'm still alive to tell the tale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1094.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	140806  
Old 11th Apr 2017, 7:41 pm   #6
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Around 1980 I remember seeing a small (travel?) steam iron in a department store in England. You filled it with water and added one 'measure' of common salt. Yes, inside the plastic housing were 2 electrodes connected to the mains. That was it.

If fed from an isolating transformer I would think such heaters were reasonably safe. And they can't overheat if they boil dry (if the water evaporates, the circuit is opened). But fed from the mains (one side earthed)? No thanks.
Old 11th Apr 2017, 7:51 pm   #7
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by skodajag View Post
Do you think this would pass health and safety?
Wow! I want one, but only as an ornament.

John.
Old 11th Apr 2017, 9:34 pm   #8
Hartley118
Nonode

When visiting our daughter who was living in Mexico City, she complained of 'tingles' from the electric shower in her apartment. I found that the live and neutral were reversed, rendering the water live as it exited the shower head.

I corrected the wiring, but remained suspicious of the whole electrical installation in that building.

Martin
Old 11th Apr 2017, 10:20 pm   #9
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Unbelievable! There were huge current water heaters installed in blocks of 1930s 'Mansion Flats' to supply communal hot water. I have some pictures somewhere, they look like Bessemer converters! John.
Old 11th Apr 2017, 10:25 pm   #10
Refugee
Dekatron

The "posh" version of that shower head has an earth wire trailing in the water as it flows to the spray part of the head.
Old 11th Apr 2017, 10:32 pm   #11
Oliver35
Pentode

Where can I get one? As regards the modern Eastern shower heads,there's a Scotsman on YouTube who did a strip down video on one of them. As Refugee commented, the live water is 'earthed' at a couple of points ( I wouldn't care to say how effectively) by a bare copper wire poking into the stream. What happens when it oxidises, however, is another matter..

Oliver
Old 11th Apr 2017, 10:37 pm   #12
McMurdo
Dekatron

the little boiler appears to earth its water through the chain that goes around the tap. But no thankyou!
Old 11th Apr 2017, 10:44 pm   #13
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

"use on power points only"

because running electrode heaters through a bayonet adapter in the bathroom might be even more dodgy than ... having a power point in the bathroom?
Old 11th Apr 2017, 10:58 pm   #14
Dai Corner
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver35 View Post
As regards the modern Eastern shower heads,there's a Scotsman on YouTube who did a strip down video on one of them.
The Scotsman you have in mind is probably Big Clive who describes them as 'suicide showers'
https://youtu.be/cNjA0aee07k
Old 11th Apr 2017, 11:11 pm   #15
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarFoxtrot View Post
"use on power points only"

because running electrode heaters through a bayonet adapter in the bathroom might be even more dodgy than ... having a power point in the bathroom?

More likely the heater would blow a lighting circuit fuse.

The whole shebang would be safe enough in a modern house- it would simply trip the RCD.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 11th Apr 2017, 11:13 pm   #16
Radio Wrangler

I was less than charmed when I found out that the heating element in some UK electric showers wasn't insulated!

Three times the power of a normal immersion heater in a small box.....

David
Old 11th Apr 2017, 11:20 pm   #17
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

What a fascinating device, and probably perfectly safe if you kept your skin out of the water stream! I wonder if there's one in a museum somewhere? About as safe as the well-known Flueless Gas Bath.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 12th Apr 2017, 9:03 am   #18
Brigham
Octode

Is anyone interested in how this device works? I'm more inclined towards that aspect of early electrical technology, than in the fact that it is now obsolete.
My first girlfriend thought Laurel and Hardy films hilarious, because of the 'funny old cars'.
Old 12th Apr 2017, 9:07 am   #19
ms660
Dekatron

The advert claims no elements to go wrong.

Lawrence.
Old 12th Apr 2017, 10:21 am   #20
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

It's probably just a coil of thick copper wire inside it connected across the mains!

Things haven't really changed much, the average electric shower is pretty much one of these in a box with a few safety features (that work when they want to!). I don't trust electric showers much now, I've had 3 blow up in spectacular fashion whilst I was using them, and only 1 actually made the circuit breaker trip! One unit had a heater element fail on a way that firstly made the water coming out of it smell really strongly of rotten egg shortly before a loud pop inside it which tripped the breaker. I did an autopsy on it to find the element had actually split open, and the live internal coil was exposed to the water! Our old house didn't have an RCD, so the shower continued to operate until it shorted out enough to trip the breaker.

It would be good to find one of these water heaters still in existence! I could do with something like it for the sink in my workshop...

Regards,
Lloyd
Closed Thread