UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Apr 2017, 10:59 am   #1
jsbhavsar
Pentode

Default Smallest valve radio with good performance

Space is a challenge in major cities in India, Mumbai being the most. With families living in 440 sq feet of space, saving space and having products like All-In-one is must.

Having said that, which radios are the best valve radio models that have small size, good performance and have FM, AM, SW bands?

Any recommendations will be welcome from transistor category too though it does not fall under this forum!

Thanks!
Old 5th Apr 2017, 11:25 am   #2
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Default Re: Smallest valve radio with good performance

Some of the smallest valve radio's came from the USA in the '50s but they didn't usually cover short wave. The were designed for 110 v but were fitted with resistive line cords for use in the UK.

Peter
Old 5th Apr 2017, 11:53 am   #3
Paul_RK
Dekatron

The combination of small size and exceptional performance didn't tend to happen much in the valve era - most radios were either full sized table models, some well specified and others not so good, or small models mainly sold to those on a tight budget or as "second sets" for kitchen or bedside. I think of the Philips Philetta models as generally good performers for their size, but few if any of those had FM. Quite a few small American radios from the '40s do have SW, and there are plenty from the '50s and '60s with FM, generally offering good sensitivity and selectivity - it was needed given the multitude of AM stations - but let down by lightweight 'speakers giving sound quality no better than average.

Transistor radios are very much within the forum's brief, and I always reckon the Tandberg TP41 and TP43 - LW/MW/SW/FM - to be about the best radios ever for their size, but current prices suggest I'm not alone in that. I'll mention too the Proton 300, the best sounding self-contained transistor radio I know, but arguably the ugliest too. Coverage is just MW/FM, and really it's a rather good compact two-way bookshelf 'speaker with a built-in tuner-amplifier.

Paul
Old 5th Apr 2017, 12:04 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I suggest that some of the Zenith Transoceanic "Royal" models would be a good match to your requirements: The transistor variants covered broadcast MW/SW and FM, and portable as well!

The RCA "Strato-World" series could be worth a look too, though these didn't get FM-band coverage until the very end of manufacture.
Old 5th Apr 2017, 12:28 pm   #5
kalee20
Dekatron

I'd say the Philips Philetta range, too - I have one with LW MW FM and I'm pretty sure SW too! (Have to check on the SW).

Small, hard to work on, runs stinking hot... but it does perform well.
Old 5th Apr 2017, 8:35 pm   #6
stevehertz
Dekatron

I agree with G6Tanuki, the Zenith Royal Transoceanic - particularly the D7000Y - has all the bands you want, it is an excellent receiver and it folds out into a dinky little base station, and all folds back up again into a chubby but small suitcase affair. It is transistor though, not valve. Here's a photo of mine in use outside last year. Also see this nice write up: https://radiojayallen.com/zenith-royal-7000/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160609_200623.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	140495  
Old 5th Apr 2017, 9:47 pm   #7
simpsons
Octode

Good Morning Mumbai!!

Having spent some time in Goa I can understand why shortwave might be of interest. The type of receiver depends on what shortwave transmissions you wish to receive.

For excellent sound quality I would recommend a Grundig Yacht Boy 208, 209 or 210 but this only covers 5.85 - 7.4 MHz.

For a wider SW cover the Concert Boy 203 also has very good audio quality with SW coverage between 5.81 -16MHz and bandspread. Its cousin, Concert Boy 1100, is just as good but without bandspread. The only issue is that both radios are single conversion and whilst the tuning control is very good, it is an anolog display and so finding a station by frequency might be problematic.

Mind you, listening to BBC World Service on 1413 KHz MW is "easy peasy."

60,s German radios including those made by Grundig both valve such as model 2038 and their transistor radios, had a sound quality second to none. This was due in no small way to the quality of loudspeaker and the use of loudness compensation circuits.

Chris
Old 5th Apr 2017, 10:43 pm   #8
simpsons
Octode

Hello again Mumbai

Looking at classified adverts in India, finding a 60's European Radio seems almost impossible.

Whilst you may have a local sourse, I notice that eBay.india have a Sanyo M7900K for sale at RS4999 located in Lucklow UP with free postage. This maybe an option should buying a radio in Europe and having it shipped be impractical.

I have its larger sister the M9998 and whilst it also has bandspread on SW its tuning scale, as with the M7900K, is very short.

Asking forum members for their experience of using a particular radio you could buy locally maybe a better bet.

Chris
Old 6th Apr 2017, 10:28 am   #9
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The OP seems to want a valve set, although most of the most excellent suggestions made here are for Transistor sets - which IMHO will perform better. As for a valve radio, I also recommend Philips as they will be tropicalised and their designers put much effort in the RF stages, especially for Multiband use. Pye (pre-Philips) also made some excellent SW valve radios but they will not be particularly small and will not have FM.
Old 25th Apr 2017, 1:33 pm   #10
jsbhavsar
Pentode

Very nice post and inputs, thanks a lot for those.

Tandberg seems be a good looking radio.

For my own needs, currently I have Sony ICF-SW11 World Band Radio Made in Japan that is being used in kitchen with amplified speakers. I also have new brand Panasonic RF-800U Made in Indonesia and Sony ICF-J40 Made in Japan.
A large tube radio National Ekco A731 with tuned RF stage exists but not in Mumbai, it is some 130 miles away at my parents place.

Here in this thread I was really looking for a compact high performing valve or transistor radio set that would receive excellent on MW, SW(eg SW1, SW2) and FM. What I read from seniors members is that high performance and compact valve set is not possible in the valve era.

I have seen Americans make a tube radio in a hat also.
Old 4th May 2017, 8:14 am   #11
MurphyNut
Heptode

Though not a valve set I can recommend the Tivoli model one AM VHF radio.
It's small but sounds remarkable, I have two and constantly amazed at the quality of them plus they are pleasing to the eye too.
They aren't cheap new but secondhand ones can be found on line.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img_tivoli_radio_model_one.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	142075  
Old 6th May 2017, 9:01 am   #12
simpsons
Octode

Hi again Mumbai

I have just read your earlier threads dated 2014 and wonder if the following thread will be of interest to you: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=34445.

The other issue, notwithstanding how much room you have to place any radio away from the TV etc etc is access to the outside world.

Most if not all transistor domestic communication receivers have a telescopic aerial. The Philips D2935 (a double conversion with extensive additional screening to quieten down the microprocessor noise), which I sometimes use, is a good example but when used inside a steel constructed building with or without air conditioners, ceiling fans and so on it struggles as so do my ears!

Getting back to valve radios, whilst there was a great deal of UK interest by some in shortwave reception certainly before the war and early 50's, long wire aerials were used (20 metres) and here is where getting old sets to work will be a challenge in a flat.

I think imagination is required and or a browse of information on active aerials is necessary before investing in any valve short wave radio at all or a trip to the roof to see if you can find space amongst the washing lines to hang some wire!!

Chris
Old 6th May 2017, 9:10 am   #13
Herald1360
Dekatron

The washing line itself (of suitable metal core type) can of course be used as an aerial.......

Useful for inconspicuity(?)
.........O..Chris....O
Old 6th May 2017, 10:07 am   #14
simpsons
Octode

I've got it!!

A coaxial cable washing line.... white, of course, so that a miscreant flat owner doesn't appropriate it for its intended purpose. Some deft means by which a thin insulated cable can be run down the supporting pole and thence to the flat window and when connected to the joined inner cable and outer screen provides an aerial for that old radio. Hey presto-mission accomplished.

Chris
Old 11th May 2017, 3:33 am   #15
majoconz
Heptode

Here's my little Philips B5Z75U in NZ, B3X66U elsewhere, don't think it has a name - AC/DC 110/220v 5 U-series valves - goes well and looks good too - MW and 2 SW bands and a Gram position.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1192 sml.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	142408