UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Mar 2017, 2:03 pm   #1
YoungManGW
Hexode

Default Venner Time Switch Wiring

I have laid my hands on a Venner time switch. Not sure of the model number, but it has the serial number Z7482. The clockwork mechanics are all working fine, activating the switch.

I'm interested in two things.

First, does anyone know anything about the age or use of this type of Venner? I have in mind that it may be out of a street lamp, or similar.

Second, I want to check on the wiring. Am I right in thinking that the live in should be connected to one of the brass fittings at the bottom and the live out to the other? I can't see any other way of it working, as there are just these two connectors.

Many thanks.

Regards,
Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	139731  
Old 24th Mar 2017, 2:04 pm   #2
YoungManGW
Hexode

Default Re: Venner Time Switch Wiring

Overall photograph.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	139732  
Old 24th Mar 2017, 3:28 pm   #3
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Yes, those are the switch terminals, but unless I am mistaken it is a mercury switch type. The bakelite cups are supposed to be part-filled with mercury so that the prongs dip into it in the on position. A small amount of paraffin should cover the mercury to reduce outgassing, however I wouldn't recommend unsealed mercury switches for domestic applications due to the toxicity of the vapour and hazard of any spillage.

Street lighting timeswitches usually have a solar dial that tracks sunrise and sunset times without adjustment, so a timeswitch without this is more likely to be for some general application.
Old 24th Mar 2017, 5:42 pm   #4
Techman
Dekatron

I've got one of these!

Mine is still in its original case with the opening door with its round glass window. I used it with an old door bell, with one of those 4.5 volt bell batteries which fitted in the time switch case as an alarm clock to get me up in the mornings to do my paper round before I went to school, back in the late 1960s. It was old then, so an exact date for it would be interesting. It's one of the items that DIDN'T get thrown out/lost/scrapped in my last house move and it still exists somewhere in the loft. Now I've been reminded of it I'm going to have to see if I can locate it and take a picture.
Old 24th Mar 2017, 7:06 pm   #5
YoungManGW
Hexode

Lucien, thank-you for that. I'm considering using it to switch on and off the light in my K6 telephone box. It would thus be in the adjoining garage. The mercury risk is interesting. The case doesn't have an earth connection either.

Techman, does yours have mercury in it? I have the case with the round glass window - it's been stripped and Hammerited.

Regards,
Richard
Old 26th Mar 2017, 4:12 pm   #6
Techman
Dekatron

Found it and had a look at it. No mercury switch.

It's many years since I looked inside it and it's a little different to the one that you've got. I've been thinking hard and I can't actually remember where I got it from, or whether in fact I got it, not while still at school, but when I first started work, perhaps given to me by someone who I worked with. Whatever, it's certainly over 45 years ago. I can't remember how I arranged it to work as an alarm clock, but when I saw those vacant holes round the disc it gave me a vague recollection of me having to remove some brass pegs and putting them in a jar or tin somewhere, long forgotten for safe keeping. It's lucky that the bell battery wasn't still inside it rotting away, but the remains of the old door bell was still with it.

I took some pictures:-
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1100216.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	139866   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100217.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	139867   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100218.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	139868   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100219.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	139869   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100220.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	139870  

Old 26th Mar 2017, 4:23 pm   #7
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Venner time switches normally had the date code stamped into the metalwork of the time switch itself, not the case. Have a close look. I used to walk past the factory everyday to school. They were on the Kingston By Pass. The factory was built in 1931 and demolished in 1978. John.
Closed Thread