UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 25th Apr 2017, 8:26 am   #421
'LIVEWIRE?'
Dekatron

Default Re: Bygone radio traders

In this area (North & West Oxfordshire) the component shops have all long gone. There were two in Banbury, one called Arrow Audio, which, IIRC, was above a shop in George Street, the other in a row of shops demolished to make way for a new road, closed earlier, Witney Audio in the town of that name, and at least one in Oxford. There were also branches of Tandy, the nearest to me being in St. Ebbe's, Oxford. As WilliamTK1974 says, they frequently sent out fliers. Every time you bought anything in a Tandy Shop, tey took your name & address, but they did stock a wide range of components, kits, and the like. Now, as everywhere in the UK, we have branches of Maplin in Oxford, Banbury, and Cheltenham, which I use from time to time.
'LIVEWIRE?' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2017, 9:35 am   #422
dazzlevision
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
In this area (North & West Oxfordshire) the component shops have all long gone. There were two in Banbury, one called Arrow Audio, which, IIRC, was above a shop in George Street, the other in a row of shops demolished to make way for a new road, closed earlier, Witney Audio in the town of that name, and at least one in Oxford.
I well remember Witney Audio Centre, run by Brian and Dave. Originally in Corn Street, they later moved to the High Street. They opened around 1971 (whilst I was in the Sixth Form, if my memory serves me well) and I used to buy components from them, including valves, to repair/refurbish old monochrome TVs. I also bought my first HiFi cassette deck from them, a Tandberg TCD300 (which I still have).

They were Sony dealers and had a KV-1310UB on demo in their showroom for a very long time. I believe the image of Test Card F was burnt into the phosphor screen eventually!

They did celebrate 25 years in business, but they closed down a few years after that.

Prior to Witney Audio opening, I either used mail order (Home Radio) or caught the bus to Oxford and used Westwoods in George Street (they had a wholesale operation, Duval, at the same address).

Happy days!

Last edited by dazzlevision; 25th Apr 2017 at 9:42 am. Reason: Added text.
dazzlevision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2017, 11:38 am   #423
raditechman
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3VFB_Anton View Post
Does anyone recall Brian(?) on St John's Hill, Wandsworth?
In the same area, I had a radio, TV and video sales and repair shop in Barmouth Road, Wandsworth during the 1980's. Not a spares shop but if someone came in asking for a component I would normally oblige and sell it to them, downfall was that those customers could become time wasters asking for advice or talking about their latest electronic project.

John
raditechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2017, 6:46 pm   #424
'LIVEWIRE?'
Dekatron

Dazzlevision, you've reminded me of names I'd almost forgotten. Westwoods, later, IIRC, Westwood & Mason, were in George Street near the entrance to Gloucester Green Bus Station, and sold audio & HiFi equipment as well as components. The premises are now, I think, an Opticians. I often bought components from Witney Audio Centre and remember Brian & Dave vaguely. At that time, and until April 1995, I worked in Oxford for A E Malins who were Auto Electrical Engineers, where I repaired Car Radios & Stereos. I, too, used to by things from Home Radio in Mitcham by mail order.
'LIVEWIRE?' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2017, 7:41 pm   #425
dazzlevision
Octode

Ah, Malins on the Osney Mead Estate. I have visited them a few times in the 1970s, including buying a Radiomobile fitting kit for my Simca 1100.
Old Yesterday, 7:30 am   #426
dazzlevision
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
Dazzlevision, you've reminded me of names I'd almost forgotten. Westwoods, later, IIRC, Westwood & Mason, were in George Street near the entrance to Gloucester Green Bus Station, and sold audio & HiFi equipment as well as components. The premises are now, I think, an Opticians. I often bought components from Witney Audio Centre and remember Brian & Dave vaguely. At that time, and until April 1995, I worked in Oxford for A E Malins who were Auto Electrical Engineers, where I repaired Car Radios & Stereos. I, too, used to by things from Home Radio in Mitcham by mail order.
Yes, Westwoods did become Westwood & Mason. The nearby bus station at Gloucester Green is a mere shadow of its former self nowadays.

Going back to Witney, the first electronic project I built (when I was around ten) was a crystal set and I obtained the parts from Delnevo's of Corn Street (a TV and radio dealer that was set up by Vic Delnevo in 1947 only closed down, after relocating to the High Street, in 2010). All was well. apart from the "solder", which wouldn't melt, even after sticking the end into a coal fire! I eventually discovered that I had been sold tinned copper wire!

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/you...r_six_decades/

The original TV shop in Corn Street had a lovely red and green neon "Bush" logo and name sign inside one of their two street facing windows, which was on for many, many years, right up to when it relocated. To me, it was a bit of a local landmark. They were Bush, K-B and Ekco dealers, in the days when the big makers only sold through dealerships.

The Delnevo family (originally from Italy) also ran two fish and chip shops and a fabric/haberdashers.

Last edited by dazzlevision; Yesterday at 7:40 am. Reason: Extra text.