UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Mar 2017, 7:47 pm   #1
G4YVM David
Heptode

Default Telephone sets "F"

I was given a pair of these yesterday, in wooden cases, together with a large reel of wire. I have no idea of their history or even how to get them out of the cases! I'll keep trying!

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0371.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	139707   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0370.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	139708  
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 7:59 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Telephone sets "F"

Very nice! To remove a Telephone Set "F" from its wooden case, first press down on the metal catch in the middle of the front of the case. The telephone should then slide out.

To operate the set, it will need at least 3V worth of batteries - which live in the section under the left-hand "hump". A pair of "D" cells or "C" cells in series is the simplest option - especially as there is plenty of space in the battery compartment for these in a standard holder.

Originally, it would have used 2x Battery Dry No. 12. If these are still in place, they will almost certainly be flat by now, but they can be "restuffed", but this is something to save for later.
Old 24th Mar 2017, 9:41 am   #3
G4YVM David
Heptode

Thanks Dave...I'll let you know what I find

D
Old 24th Mar 2017, 7:07 pm   #4
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
Originally, it would have used 2x Battery Dry No. 12. If these are still in place, they will almost certainly be flat by now, but they can be "restuffed", but this is something to save for later.
Remarkably, many of these very old batteries do seem to survive without leaking and causing corrosion. However my own experience with a pair of Tele Fs was that 3 volts was insufficient; I settled on 6 volts which seemed to give much greater volume.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 24th Mar 2017, 7:50 pm   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I think a lot depends on how well the carbon granules have fared in the transmitter inset. I have some Fs that are fine on 3V and others that are not. Certainly unlikely to cause harm by upping the voltage a bit. If an electret inset is substituted, these don't work at 3V, but seem to be fine from 4½V upwards.

As to No. 12s, the waxed card casing does seem to be quite good at containing any corrosion to the cell inside.
Old 25th Mar 2017, 10:51 am   #6
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Congratulations! These telephones are huge, clumsy ... but actually pretty advanced compared with field telephones made the next 2-3 decades.

dsk
Closed Thread