UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th May 2010, 10:08 pm   #21
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Akai 4000DS Mk2 (II) UK Only Version Info Please

Oh yes, thanks for that chaps. I was a bit confused somewhere. Presumably the "cycle" switch affects the capacitance across the motor-or have I got that wrong? I think I was suggesting [originally] that a less basic [although the 4000 seems very well designed] machine might perhaps have tried to combine changing the pulley diameter with the electrical switch over? Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 16th May 2010 at 10:19 pm. Reason: re-write
Old 18th May 2010, 7:29 am   #22
ricard
Octode

Yes, I would think the 'cycle' switch just affects the capacitance in series with the starter windings on the motor. There's an optimum value for the capacitance that is frequency dependent. Regarding electric switchover, with this type of AC motor it is not possible to electrically switch between speeds that differ by such a small ratio as is necessary for 50 vs 60 Hz operation. There are numerous machines with synchronous motors which use electrical switching to obtain two tape speeds, but that only works because tape speeds are an octave (i.e. a ratio of 1:2) apart.

/Ricard
Old 18th May 2010, 8:44 am   #23
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Might I presume upon posters on this topic to read the latest on Akai cams & if possible assist.

Dave the 50/60cps switch on the rear of machine does indeed switch the capacitance in conjunction with the shaft at front of machine, try switching just one or the other to hear the results!!

Colin.
Old 18th May 2010, 2:33 pm   #24
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Thanks for the frequency switch comments.I'm presuming that it was much easier for Akai not to try and combine the mechanical and electrical switch-over. Yes I've seen that request Colin. Will try to take a look asap but I'm a bit confused already! I think you said once before that all those separate posts re the 4000 cam enigma don't exactly help. Perhaps they can be combined as you suggested? Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 18th May 2010 at 2:38 pm. Reason: addition
Old 18th May 2010, 2:47 pm   #25
Station X

The moderators are looking into the question of combining the various Akai cam threads, but it's not an easy task.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 18th May 2010, 5:33 pm   #26
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Graham, if it can be done I am certain it would assist all interested in the Akai cams.

Regards.

Colin
Old 18th May 2010, 7:03 pm   #27
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

If it helps, I'm quite happy for all but the last of my threads on the cam subject to be deleted. The object is to produce, discover demand, and supply new cams at cost. The last thread 'Akai Cams' pretty much covers things as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers,
Roger.
Old 18th May 2010, 8:28 pm   #28
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Don't rush it Roger, those recent posts on the various threads need to be linked, as the more one reads them the less confusion, for instance it would appear that "YOUR" cam will fit the 1721 as well, The rounding/flatness of the non active side has little or no bearing on the operation. Also other cams are mentioned which may interest other members such as Geoff.

Colin.
Old 19th May 2010, 8:56 am   #29
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Point taken Colin. I hadn't really thought that through.

Cheers,
Roger.
Old 19th May 2010, 11:10 am   #30
camtechman
Nonode

Well, the plot thickens!

Just received the User Manual that is clearly marked: 240V, 50Hz and although it's for a single 240V A/C 50Hz version and has no 50/60Hz mechanical changing shaft, nor the 50/60Hz electrical switch on the rear mains panel, it still refers to having the "Shut-Off" position on the Power switch !!

See pics:

So, it seems the UK Version, without the "Shut-Off" position on the Power switch is still a mystery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Akai 4000DS MkII Uk #1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	36031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Akai 4000DS MkII Uk #2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	36032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Akai 4000DS MkII Uk #3.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	36033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Akai 4000DS MkII Uk #4.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	36034  
Old 23rd May 2010, 6:41 am   #31
camtechman
Nonode

***UPDATE***

What started out as puzzlement about the UK version I own, for me it's now become something to investigate.

I've been scanning the web for as much info on the UK model and, although sparse, the little bits & pieces I have picked up here & there have revealed more than I was first aware of, so much so that I'm going to set myself a task to compile an article on this little documented version.

My investigations so far have revealed that there were perhaps 3 UK versions (slight progressive changes in each) but culminating in a final version that met the full BSI Standards/Specs in force at that time, which I will call the “BS6500” one (see point 5 below). Although, as yet, I’ve still not found an Operator’s Manual specifically dedicated to the UK version I own (the “BS6500”).

The first version that entered the UK wasn't exclusive to the UK & I shall call this the 'universal' one (100v-240V AC 50/60Hz with all functions, options, switches etc, etc), which the UK one does not have.

So far, it seems that a dedicated UK version can be identified by the following:

1) No "Shut Off" position marked on the "Power" switch.
2) No 50/60Hz selector "Shaft" on front panel.
3) No "Fuse Holder/Voltage Selector" assembly on rear mains input panel.
4) No 50/60Hz "Cycle Conversion" switch on rear mains input panel.
5) Light grey pvc covered mains cable, marked BS6500: 3 core Brown, Blue,
Yellow/Green.
6) Rear S/No Plate/Label shows: AC240V 50Hz & 35W* (*although not on
some!)
7) Internal chassis has red circular label, printed “UK”.

To help me gather the info to produce this article on the UK versions and to save this thread becoming unwieldy, I shall be starting a new thread, with a simple questionnaire to gather the info I need.

All the best for now and if you could provide the info I need, please visit the new thread but please note; I shall only require info on the “UK” version, as outlined in points 1 thru 7above.

Tony