UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Oct 2017, 3:55 pm   #1
John M0GLN
Octode

Default Granco FM 610U puzzle

I have a problem with a Granco FM 610U, a small American 1950's 6 valve FM only radio, I bought this many years ago at the NVCF and I'm just getting around to sorting it out as it takes about 20 minutes to get to full volume, the radio itself seems pretty simple, no mains transformer or dropper and all the capacitors with the exception of 2 electrolytics are ceramic disc, so I started by checking the resistors, most are high and a bit out of tolerance but not that bad until I found a 470Ω which read 16Ω, I checked to see what this resistor did but it's not shown anywhere, not on the parts list, the schematic or the photo showing the parts location, it is across the heater of the 19T8 / HABC80 which when measured hot reads 12V instead of 19V, I cut the resistor out and the voltage rose to 18V which is much better, this hasn't cured the long warm up time but I'm puzzled as to why this resistor is there, it did look like it had always been there, but why?

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Granco.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	150154  
Old 1st Oct 2017, 4:16 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Granco FM 610U puzzle

The valve heaters are in series, some are 0.3 A some are 0.15A, resistors across the 0.15A valves are required to allow the correct heater current through all the valves.

You will need to work out the resistor values for the 0.15 heaters.
Old 1st Oct 2017, 5:36 pm   #3
ms660
Dekatron

All 0.15 amp so far as I know, the heater current shown on the page for the 12BA6 on the National Valve Museum site is wrong (0.3 amp), need to open up the PDF data to see that it's 0.15 amp.

Lawrence.
Old 1st Oct 2017, 5:40 pm   #4
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Thanks Lawrence for the correct info, so a puzzle as to why a resistor across the heaters.
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 7:36 am   #5
John M0GLN
Octode

Yes they are all 0,15A heaters, the heater chain is shown in the attachments with R20 the 10Ω resistor going straight to the 117V mains input, the enigmatic 470Ω resistor which is across V5 heater is soldered in properly with its leads going through the holes in the valve holder lugs, not just soldered on top as a quick modification.

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	chain.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	150184   Click image for larger version

Name:	resistor.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	150185  
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 8:28 am   #6
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Is it possible that someone as tried a UABC80 valve , 28v 0.1a heater, in place of the 19T8? I think the pin out is the same, I work out a 560 ohm would be required though but perhaps 470 was all they had.
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 9:08 am   #7
John M0GLN
Octode

Thanks for your suggestion regarding a UABC80, that seems to be a good way to find a substitute for the HABC80, however I have just found out something since your last post, I searched the net for a FM 610U and found this site,

http://antiqueradios.com/resources/index.html

and this radio was being discussed on a forum a few years ago, just a general discussion but they had a photo of the Granco chassis which a Canadian member owned and there was a the same resistor shown in the attachment, so it looks like it is an original but that still makes me wonder why they would want to reduce the heater voltage from the rated 19V to 12V.
The 19T8 / HABC80 in my set looks like it is an original as it's labelled Granco.

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	470.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	150186  
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 9:58 am   #8
Nuvistor
Dekatron

I have been looking at radiomuseum, they have a photo and that resistor is in the photo. However they also have a Sams PhotoFact with a layout, it’s four pages, I can only download 3 today. There is an under chassis layout and although not distinct I cannot see that resistor, also there is no 470 ohm resistor in the parts list.
The page not downloaded is the alignment instructions.

Sorry not an answer, just a bit more mystery.
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 10:20 am   #9
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

I notice that this model does not have A.F.C.. I wonder if the resistor is there to cause slow warming up, and therefore delayed output from, the audio section to enable the local oscillator to settle on frequency after switching on from cold? This would avoid the listener hearing anything until it was on the desired frequency. Just a thought. Tony
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 10:30 am   #10
Neil Breward
Retired Dormant Member

If that's the plan, perhaps that 470 ohm resistor is a PTC thermistor? - that would explain its 16 ohm cold resistance.

Never seen this as a deliberate design issue though.

Cheers,
Neil
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 10:49 am   #11
ms660
Dekatron

The 470 ohm = 16 ohms, is that with the valve removed?

If it has gone from 470 ohms to 16 ohms the only thing I can think of that would cause that is excess power dissipation, I can't see any sign of that in the photo so far as I can see.

Maybe an anti gremlin resistor frig.

Lawrence.
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 11:27 am   #12
John M0GLN
Octode

In reply to the posts from Lawrence and Neil regarding the 470Ω resistor, it measures 480Ω out of circuit, the 16Ω resistance was measured when it was in parallel with the cold heater.

John
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 11:30 am   #13
John M0GLN
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
I have been looking at radiomuseum, they have a photo and that resistor is in the photo. However they also have a Sams PhotoFact with a layout, it’s four pages, I can only download 3 today.
I am working from an original four page Sams PhotoFact that I bought just after buying the set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxdoctor View Post
I notice that this model does not have A.F.C.. I wonder if the resistor is there to cause slow warming up, and therefore delayed output from, the audio section to enable the local oscillator to settle on frequency after switching on from cold? This would avoid the listener hearing anything until it was on the desired frequency.
It certainly does take a long time to warm up but it didn't change when I removed the resistor.

John
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 11:44 am   #14
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Hi John,
Those sets were made down to a price, in fact one advert I saw was along the lines of “Granco, more for less” so every component was there for a reason but what that one was for I have no idea.
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 4:48 pm   #15
usradcoll1
Heptode

That Granco set was a great performer. It didn't have AFC, but it didn't drift much.
I bought and sold several of those and everyone loved them!
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 5:21 pm   #16
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M0GLN View Post
Yes they are all 0,15A heaters, the heater chain is shown in the attachments with R20 the 10Ω resistor going straight to the 117V mains input, the enigmatic 470Ω resistor which is across V5 heater is soldered in properly with its leads going through the holes in the valve holder lugs, not just soldered on top as a quick modification.
The resistor is installed very neatly, but it does look like an afterthought!
When repairing a set of this type, with an open heater, it's usually a valve in the beginning or end of the heater chain. Those are the first ones I check.
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 7:23 pm   #17
John M0GLN
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
every component was there for a reason but what that one was for I have no idea.
I agree with you there and I've replaced it, all the heater voltages are now more or less correct with the exception of the 19T8 which with the resistor reads 12V instead of 19V, but that seems to be what Granco wanted so I'm not going to argue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usradcoll1 View Post
The resistor is installed very neatly, but it does look like an afterthought!
Yes it does look like that and with not being included in the service data probably was. I like the set and hopefully I will be able to get it performing as intended.

John
Old 4th Oct 2017, 5:12 pm   #18
usradcoll1
Heptode

Did you see the tricky way they introduced audio feedback? They just connected the low end of the volume control to the output transformer secondary.
After seeing that, I tried it on other radios to check the results. It seemed to enhance the bass response, but reduced the maximum volume a bit.
Old 4th Oct 2017, 5:18 pm   #19
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I wonder if it could be an attempt to reduce hum? Reducing the heater-voltage in the same way as the RCA AR88 communications receiver does with a series-resistor in the circuit of the heater of its 6H6 noise-limiter diode?
Old 5th Oct 2017, 3:33 am   #20
usradcoll1
Heptode

I was looking at the schematics for the receivers in my possesion, that use this same scheme. The 6H6 is used as a detector and noise limiter and not in the audio circuit.
Closed Thread