UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Sep 2017, 7:48 am   #1
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Avo Meters

Hi
We have been looking at the entries for the many models of Avometers which appear in the Radio Museum. The intention is to improve the accuracy of the information, and how to distinguish between them.
One topic which has come up is how the name AVOMETER is perceived. On the majority of the models the name appears written as Avo Meter all in capitals, the initial large letters seem to indicate it is 2 words.
What is the opinion of members here as to how the name should be presented, as one word or as two words. (it makes a difference when searching for a particular model)

Thanks
Mike
Old 8th Sep 2017, 8:16 am   #2
Andrewausfa
Octode

Default Re: Avo Meters

Hi Mike,

AvoMeter is how AVO term it in the Mk 7 and 8 manuals. AVOMETER when capitalised. That said, they also use Avometer and AvoMeter in the Mk 8 I& II service manual.

Andrew
Old 10th Sep 2017, 12:50 pm   #3
bill knox
Hexode

According to Wikipedia AVO is an acronym for "Amps Volts Ohms" if this is the correct meaning of the term AVO I cam not sure, but have you considered contacting Megger Ltd in Dover Kent they maybe able to shed more light on the term.
Old 13th Sep 2017, 7:52 am   #4
crackle
Rest in Peace

Thanks for the 2 responses, (only 2!)

Just to let you know we have decided to use both terms, AVOMeter and AVO Meter in the "model name" field, e.g. AvoMeter (AVO Meter) either the name AvoMeter or the words in the brackets will work in a search.
So when some one searches hopefully they will get the results they are looking for now.

Mike
Old 13th Sep 2017, 9:56 am   #5
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Mike

Andrew's response were so definitive (ie they used several different styles interchangeably; just checked the valve tester manuals - same thing) I, and I am sure others felt we had nothing to add.

Craig
Old 13th Sep 2017, 10:31 am   #6
turretslug
Dekatron

I'd wondered about the variety and inconsistency here, too- but I guess this was an era of blissful and laissez-faire innocence before brand awareness, hypervigilance and form micro-definition had come to the fore and business seminars were buzzing with "required total exclusion zones" and "sanitation perimeters" necessary around the company emblem on the website or headed documents. For goodness sake, it's a logo, not a disputed island.
Old 13th Sep 2017, 8:11 pm   #7
pmmunro
Octode

The earliest commercial version of the Avometer is shown in the attached image. The name plate shows the name "AVOMETER" - as one word in upper case text.

In a conversation with the grand-daughter of the inventor the instrument, Donald MacAdie, she told me that the belief in the family was that the name was devised by her grandmother.

PMM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Original Image.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	149394  
Old 13th Sep 2017, 8:35 pm   #8
The Philpott
Dekatron

Notice that, for example, on a Model 8 from the 'sixties, Upper case is used at the bottom of the instruction plate, and in the centre of the (rather stylised) front facia, it is also upper case- however to muddy the waters just a little, the A and the M are much larger than the other letters.

-- i do suspect they just used whatever suited them at the time.
Old 6th Oct 2017, 10:34 pm   #9
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

A visitor to the museum where I work as a volunteer pronounced our Avo model 7 as "a vomiter". Quite honestly, I felt sick.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Closed Thread