UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Aug 2017, 3:58 pm   #1
BulgingCap
Pentode

Default PCB edge connector

I need to make up a 16-way extension card or ribbon cable to enable some fault finding on a Telequipment D83 scope module. The edge connector in the scope has a contact pitch of 3.8 mm. I cannot seem to find a supplier- the nearest is 3.96 mm, which over 16 pitches gives a mismatch.
3.8 mm is not an imperial size, and the scope is metric despite its age.
The PCB is single-sided but the connector has contacts split for both sides which is not important.
The PCB stub is easy- the pitch is so big that I can just Daler-pen the pads and etch it.
Has anyone an idea of a source for this 16-way edge connector (more ways is not a problem, obviously...)

BC
Old 7th Aug 2017, 4:58 pm   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: PCB edge connector

3.8mm seems to be very close to 0.15" (0.1496... inches according to my HP49G). The 3.96 mm pitch is, I think 0.156" which is a common US standard. Are you sure it's not imperial?

0.15" pitch used to be common pitch in the UK. There was 0.15" (not 0.156") pitch stripboard, for example. I have certainly seen 0.15" edge connectors, although whether I could still find any in another matter...
Old 7th Aug 2017, 5:01 pm   #3
Amraduk
Hexode

I think the imperial size is 0.15" which gives 3.81mm. I don't know if they are still available.

I've just had a rummage through my bits and find that I have some old 16 way 0.15" connectors.

If you PM me your postal address, I'll post you one FOC so you can see if it fits.

Regards,

Dave.

Last edited by Amraduk; 7th Aug 2017 at 5:22 pm.
Old 7th Aug 2017, 5:42 pm   #4

Same pitch as the old PC ISA connector.

Old 7th Aug 2017, 5:52 pm   #5
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Every ISA connector that I've seen is 0.1" pitch.

The US tended to use 0.1", 0.125" (DEC Unibus/Qbus, HP (HP9100 expansion connector, HP9830 ROM modules, S100 bus) and 0.156" pitches.

The UK tended to use 0.1" and 0.15" pitches
Old 7th Aug 2017, 8:32 pm   #6
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

Years ago I made the two adaptors for H and V plugins, together with the special solid one for setting Y amp front end with plugin only a bit out of the case. Anyway, I just measured 20 holes (21 for correct 20 of course) and got 3.046" which works out at 0.1523". (77.34mm or 3.862mm spacing)
I used stock RS veroborad available at the time and it all worked OK many times. The female is a Cinch-UK LN16.
However, I was recently gifted a D83 from this forum, and a made up adaptor accompanied it, not sure if V or H, but yours for cost of postage if you want it (£3:40 Isle of Man to UK).
Les
Hmm, I see you are down under, it would no doubt be rather more than £3:40.

Last edited by MotorBikeLes; 7th Aug 2017 at 8:34 pm. Reason: Important additional info.
Old 8th Aug 2017, 1:02 pm   #7
BulgingCap
Pentode

Thanks for the replies everyone, and especially Amraduk and MotorBikeLes for the kind offers.
I realise my silly error- I looked at a conversion chart that I have on the wall of my office which gives metric to fractional inch, and it did not show 3.8 mm as having a near equivalent. If I had gone into the workshop and perused the 'Zeus' tables that hang on a nail I would have realised that 3.8 mm is, as near as heck, 0.15".
Of course I know that the US influence means that many components etc use decimal inch sizes...
I will have another attempt at finding a supplier, or source before I fall back on the kind offers. I don't mind the postage at all!
I am sure that I have a piece of 'giant' Veroboard somewhere, but could not locate it today.

Regards, BC (South coast of WA)
Closed Thread