UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jul 2008, 1:34 pm   #1
blackjack
Retired Dormant Member

Default Using a Leak Stereo 30

Hi to all - although I'm not a hi fi enthusiast many years ago I bought a Leak Stereo 30 and Stereophetic tuner from a house clearance sale. I used it for a while and it seems to work quite well.

I've recently dug it out of storage and I'd now like to use in my workshop - running my iPod and DAB radio through it. I'm building a hot rod using an original 1927 Model T so it seems appropriate to have an old hi fi in there.

I have a set of speakers but there is a problem connecting them as I don't have any of the Leak speaker plugs anymore. I'm also not sure if the cables I use to connect the iPod to a modern hi fi are correct for the Leak.

I'd be grateful for help and advice on these connectivity issues (sources of connectors too) as well as any other advice on using this vintage set.

Thanks
Old 20th Jul 2008, 7:02 pm   #2
jamesh764
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Using a Leak Stereo 30

The speaker plugs are very difficult to get hold of in my experience - occasionally they come up on eBay.

You could just fold the ends of the speaker cables over and stuff them (not too far) into the sockets - this works as long as you don't move anything once it's connected.

The iPod lead will work in the Tuner 2 or Replay inputs. You can also modify the Pickup and Tuner 1 inputs to work, but I can't remember off the top of my head how to do this.
Old 20th Jul 2008, 10:00 pm   #3
mastermanx2001
Retired Dormant Member

I have 3 leak Stereo 30s and two Stereo 70s (must be mad) and only a couple of those special speaker plugs.

However, a 4mm banana plug fits the larger speaker socket and a phono plug with the earth shield cut off fits the smaller loudspeaker socket. Not an ideal setup, but much better than pushing bare wies in.
Old 21st Jul 2008, 8:44 am   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Or, make up a short lead with a socket of your choice on one end, then strip the other end, push the wires into the holes, and solder the wires to the tags on the rear of the sockets.

Fairly secure, and reversible.

Nick.
Old 21st Jul 2008, 10:13 am   #5
petertheorgan
Hexode

I have 2 leak stereo 70s and I have always used a red "wander" plug for the positive pin and a black 4mm plug for the negitive pin
These fit perfectly and look professional
I hope this is helpful

Peter
Old 21st Jul 2008, 10:31 am   #6
mastermanx2001
Retired Dormant Member

Where do you get the "Wander " plugs from? I was looking for some for the same purpose. As I did not find them used the modified phono plugs.
Old 21st Jul 2008, 12:19 pm   #7
petertheorgan
Hexode

I am afraid I have not brought any for years but other people on here will be bound to have some , or you could try the wanted section
Peter
Old 21st Jul 2008, 1:22 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

FARNELL do them, try a seach here for "farnell wander plug" and you should find out more.

Nick.
Old 22nd Jul 2008, 9:58 am   #9
blackjack
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice.
Closed Thread