UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Mar 2017, 2:27 pm   #21
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Cheap Chinese cartridges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie2211 View Post
Are these cheap Chinese cartridges suitable for a Dansette Conquest auto or Major?
See the second paragraph in my last post above.

It all depends on the amplifier - single stage or double stage. You need to check.
Old 31st Mar 2017, 5:15 pm   #22
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

These cheap Chinese cartridges will be no good for the Dansette "Major". At best, it may only give a very weak output.
Old 31st Mar 2017, 7:02 pm   #23
PaulR
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
If using these on a mono player, is it correct to connect both sides of the cartridge together providing they are in phase?
Presumably then when playing stereo records you get both channels?
Yes that's right
'
I have recently fitted a NOS Ronette cartridge to a Garrard RC80 deck. It didn't come with a pinout so I connected the two uppermost pins together and similarly with the lower ones. When I tried it on a 78 all I got were the crackles with only a very quiet signal underneath. It turns out that the correct pinout has the pins reversed and so I had connected it out of phase. A very odd effect when out of phase.
Old 31st Mar 2017, 8:06 pm   #24
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

I connected the 2 top and the 2 bottom pins and the output went up and sounds fine.
So there is no standard for the pin outs?
Old 31st Mar 2017, 9:57 pm   #25
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Whereas 30 years ago all this stuff was second nature, there now seems a whole new mass of confusion about record player cartridges which constitutes a growing proportion of this Site's audio equipment Posts.

Whether mono or stereo, how to connect them, what output type, where to source them, what stylus, how do they track... Yet most of our Stickys already cover all of these issues. How can we better signpost?
Old 31st Mar 2017, 10:33 pm   #26
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Apart from the typo Edward, I doubt that you can Nobody wants to absorb the info over time anymore or even has the time [so it seems]. It's a combination of instant gratification, fashion and follow the money. I could be wrong of course but there is a conspicuous lack of comment from the other side of the debate.

Dave W
Old 1st Apr 2017, 8:08 pm   #27
PaulR
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
I connected the 2 top and the 2 bottom pins and the output went up and sounds fine.
So there is no standard for the pin outs?
That's what I did originally and I think it is usually the case but on the Ronette the +ve pins are diagonally opposite which is what caused the confusion. They are also just numbered 1-4. I suppose that getting it out of phase will just produce a "difference" signal hence I just got the crackles on a 78.