UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jun 2017, 9:50 am   #1
Kentode
Octode

Default Westminster PWR2 restringing.

Are there any tricks or tips to this? I can see that there are one and a half turns around the large wheel but do I wrap the thread once or twice around the top wheel? I think the tuning cap needs to be fully closed but where should the dial pointer be?

Do I start at the spring? With it attached to the wheel or loose?

All help or diagrams gratefully received!

P.S. If you look at the wavechange card at the top of the first picture, it's actually a bit of an Ovaltine pack for export only!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0007.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	143756   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0008.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	143757  

BVWS member
Old 2nd Jun 2017, 10:33 am   #2
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: Westminster PWR2 restringing.

As a rule, tuning gang at max capacitance ie fully closed/meshed. Pointer at highest wavelength (metres) that's lowest frequency (khz).
Depends how the pointer is fixed to the cord, but I start in the middle with a length of new cord a good bit longer than the original, work both halves around till you have 2 ends at the spring remembering which way it pulls when the spindle is turned to ensure that it then opens the gang and moves the pointer the right way.
You should finish up with one full turn around the gang pulley with the ends in the middle of the turn, never 2 turns.
I fit the spring last, taking all slack out first, knotting the 2 ends as far away from the spring anchorage as possible and then hook it on. If its a bit slack, unhook it and twist it round a few times then re-hook it.
Do not move the gang pulley on the spindle or you will make it even more difficult.
Do you have the service sheet? They usually give you a clue.
Masking tape is handy to hold the cord on pulleys whilst you work.

Last edited by Boater Sam; 2nd Jun 2017 at 10:36 am. Reason: added
Old 3rd Jun 2017, 6:53 am   #3
Kentode
Octode

Thanks Sam, I'm using masking tape and two pieces of stiff wire formed into hooks/loops as there isn't much room.

I'm halfway through the process but I've had to stop for now as I'm entering my Seville orange marmalade into the local country fair!

I'll post again when it's finished and give more details in case there's anyone else wanting to do this radio.

P.S. I had to open the tuning cap to get the cord started, it will be closed again when I've got it around the bottom half of the large wheel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	14964689360541190818165.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	143835  

BVWS member
Old 17th Sep 2017, 12:45 pm   #4
Kentode
Octode

Default Westminster PWR2 restringing, still not right!

Three months ago I started to restring this radio (thanks to Boater Sam for the tips), but as you will see from the pictures it's not quite right!

The first picture shows the tuning cap fully open and the dial indicator in the correct position.

The second picture shows that the cord on the upper pulley has run out of travel and is preventing the tuning cap from closing.

Has anyone else done a restring on this model or can anyone photograph their working Westminster for me?

I'm determined to crack this before I progress to recapping!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	149577   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	149578  

BVWS member
Old 17th Sep 2017, 1:12 pm   #5
Station X

You need to wrap the cord round the upper pulley more than once so it doesn't run out of travel.

Generally, with the pointer centralised, then starting from the point where the two "strands" of the cord come through the holes in the pulley you wrap one strand CW and the other ACW. This will enable the pulley to make a complete turn before it jams.

You may need two or more turns in each direction, as the pointer has a lot of travel and the pulleys are different sizes

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 17th Sep 2017, 1:35 pm   #6
Kentode
Octode

Thanks Graham, that's exactly what I thought someone would suggest! I'll start again tomorrow.

(My marmalade won second prize!).

BVWS member
Old 7th Oct 2017, 7:40 am   #7
Kentode
Octode

Success!

Start from the middle of 30 inches of drive cord, attach it to the clip on the top pulley. (there are 3, at 12, 3, and 6 o'clock, it's the 12 o'clock one). The left-hand side goes anticlockwise one full turn and is held by masking tape. The right-hand side goes clockwise and is taped down. (See pic 1).

Take the cord through the brackets. Note that the tuning gang is partly open. This helps to reach the slot (LHS) where the cord is tied to the spring. The attachment point for the spring can be seen on the right. (See pic 2).

Now the LHS of the cord goes anticlockwise around the gang pulley and into the slot, the RHS does the opposite, using more tape as you progress. (See pic 3).

All that remains is to knot the cord and twist it to tighten, and attach the spring to the clip.

Now turn the tuning knob to close the gang. It won't close all the way,but as there is a clutch mechanism, a gentle press on the vanes will close them.

The pointer can be put in approximately the right place at the extreme left of the dial,until you're ready to realign the radio.

Thanks to Boater Sam (don't give up on us newbies!) and Graham for the great tips.

I'll be putting in a request for a legible circuit diagram as mine is a very nicotine brown smudge!

P.S. If anyone needs more help I've got more pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	150444   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0004.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	150445   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	150446  

BVWS member
Old 7th Oct 2017, 9:12 am   #8
Station X

Well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentode View Post
I'll be putting in a request for a legible circuit diagram as mine is a very nicotine brown smudge!
Westminster service info is thin on the ground. As far as I know it was only supplied stuck to the inside of the cabinets, often near hot components so it became charred and flakey.

If you post a good picture of what you have, you may find that someone, not me, will redraw it for you and post it online.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread