UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Sep 2017, 8:30 pm   #41
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: TV developments 1960.

I don't know but I must have cleaned lots of them in my time.

Lawrence.
Old 20th Sep 2017, 9:54 pm   #42
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
I remember the HDF company of Lowestoft title but was it just a subsidiary of the Pye Group of companies?
HDF and Pye are mentioned here at article page 12:

http://www.lowestoftlocalhistory.co....20vol%2025.pdf

Lawrence.
Old 20th Sep 2017, 10:58 pm   #43
dazzlevision
Dekatron

I'm pretty sure that "HDF Ltd" stood for High Definition Films, a Pye company. By the early 60s, their paper labels were present on Ekco type VHF turret tuners and valve UHF tuners (made under licence from Hopt of Germany).
Old 21st Sep 2017, 8:39 am   #44
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Mention of the fantastic little Pye incremental tuner reminds me of a stock fault. BBC grainy, ITA normal. The channel 1 aerial coil used to get caught on the components and ripped off at one end. Having a large number of turns it moved slightly becoming entangled. All the other channel coils did not suffer being smaller.

Pye were one of the best tuner makers. The original VT4 incremental tuner survived with slight mods through the Pye range until around 1960. Was it really that long ago?

Another gimmick of 1960 was the photo cell that automatically set the contrast level according to the room lighting.
I remember the Radio and Allied Sobell models that had such a wide effect [literally into overload when someone turned the living room light on] that most of them had a blob of chewing gum over the cell's window! John.
Old 21st Sep 2017, 10:44 am   #45
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Here are some photos of both "HOPT" German made and "HDF" (made under licence in the UK) HDF valve UHF tuners (as fitted in Pye/Ekco group TVs).

More info on HDF here (page 29): https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...%20Pye&f=false

Hopt (R & E) KG, of Rotweil, W. Germany (in 1968). Manufacturer of tuning gangs, VHF (FM) front ends and TV tuners. One notable use of a Hopt pushbutton integrated UHF/VHF tuner was the in Pye 31/36 and 40 series dual standard monochrome hybrid sets of the mid-60’s. Their log was that shown on the HOPT tuner cover plate photo. Today, the company is still in business as ddm hopt + schuler GmbH & Co. KG, a developer and manufacturer of card reading devices, ticket processing systems and miniature switches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDF label on a HOPT valve UHF tuner.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	149728   Click image for larger version

Name:	HDF made HOPT valve UHF tuner - access cover side.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	149729   Click image for larger version

Name:	HOPT made valve UHF tuner - access cover side with HOPT name.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	149730   Click image for larger version

Name:	HOPT valve UHF tuner - trimmers and labels side.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	149731  

Last edited by dazzlevision; 21st Sep 2017 at 11:14 am.
Old 21st Sep 2017, 1:02 pm   #46
Nuvistor
Dekatron

I didn’t realise the UHF/VHF tuner in those 40 series sets was HOPT, mind the actual tuner didn’t give me many problems, odd transistor after an electrical storm. However the mechanism built around it and the IF strip stuck on the back of the tuner was a completely different story.

After the push button problems, Pye decided to use a rotary style and made a mess of that with the mechanism stripping the cog wheel.
Old 21st Sep 2017, 1:21 pm   #47
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Yes, the six position rotary tuner fitted in most 67 and 368 chassis sets wasn't my favourite, with poor reset accuracy. Although the larger solid state IF panel with Mullard silicon transistors was much better and relocated on the side of the main chassis.
Old 21st Sep 2017, 2:57 pm   #48
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlevision View Post
Although the larger solid state IF panel with Mullard silicon transistors was much better and relocated on the side of the main chassis.
That IF strip was decent, gave me very few problems. In fact I liked the 368 chassis, the tuner troubles were much better once the wider quadrant was fitted with a new cog wheel, still not the best of ideas.
Old 21st Sep 2017, 3:20 pm   #49
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Didn't late production Pye 368 TVs finish up with the Philips six button integrated UHF/VHF tuner?

DFWB.
Old 21st Sep 2017, 3:28 pm   #50
Nuvistor
Dekatron

I don’t remember seeing any but when Winter Hill started 3 Station transmission on UHF in Nov 1969 we only sold single standard sets. This would have been the 169/569 chassis from Pye/Ekco.
Old 21st Sep 2017, 4:17 pm   #51
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlevision View Post
The Ekco tuner is rather big, compared to others available by this time and an example of a compact valve VHF tuner is the USA designed (but made under licence in the UK) MT6, which was very popular with Thorn/Ferguson. This uses the PC97 and 30C18 frame grid valves and has a UHF IF preamp facility. The UHF biscuit is the longer one (and can just about be seen, near the contact fingers). This version of the MT6 has the preset fine tuning system at the rear. Those white plastic "screws" were rather fragile and the threads tended to strip.

The MT6 was used in many Ferguson convertible/dual standard sets of this era (700 Phase 2, 800 and 850 chassis) and also made an appearance in the Pye 11U / Ekco T418 series of sets (the first common Pye/Ekco TV chassis).

I'm a fan of the final incarnation of the Pye 11U chassis, with two frame grid valves in the vision IF stages. When fitted with the Ekco VHF turret tuner, the overall sensitivity of the chassis is at its highest, even better than with the MT6 tuner (according to the relevant Pye service manual). The UHF tuner's IF output is amplified by both valves in the Ekco tuner, rather than just the mixer pentode in the MT6 and this may well be the reason.
The MT6 tuner looks like the Standard Coil tuner used by most US TV manufacturers in the 60's, even down to the snap on covers. It was even licensed to Matsushita in Japan.
I worked on and cleaned the contacts on hundreds of the them in the day.
Old 21st Sep 2017, 5:03 pm   #52
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
Didn't late production Pye 368 TVs finish up with the Philips six button integrated UHF/VHF tuner?
Yes and on the six position rotary models. Philips components even made an appearance in late production 67 chassis; with Mullard scan coils (AT1030?).
Old 21st Sep 2017, 5:07 pm   #53
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by usradcoll1 View Post
The MT6 tuner looks like the Standard Coil tuner used by most US TV manufacturers in the 60's, even down to the snap on covers. It was even licensed to Matsushita in Japan.
I worked on and cleaned the contacts on hundreds of the them in the day.
The rear face of the MT6 tuner is marked " Made under licence from Standard Kollsman Industries Inc, USA"
Old 23rd Sep 2017, 5:35 pm   #54
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Further to earlier posts about the unreliable "Cyldon" PC80 pushbutton VHF TV tuner (made by Sydney S Bird & Sons Ltd), I attach scans of two pages from the Bird PC80 data sheet.

This version is circa 1961, has five pushbuttons and can include provision for the IF output of a UHF tuner to be connected for amplification prior to passing on to the main IF strip (or to tune Band 2 for VHF radio coverage).

It's also interesting to note that they offered two basic versions; one using Mullard valves (PC97 & PCF86) and the other using Mazda (30L17 & 30C17) valves. I assume this is at a time when most of the major manufacturers were in either the Mullard or Mazda "camps" for valve supplier.

My Sobell ST283 uses this tuner, with Mullard valves (IIRC - PC97 and PCF86) and mercifully, it still works correctly. The fifth button on this set's PC80 is for UHF IF pre-amplification. Having obtained a compatible dual standard IF chassis and UHF tuner, I plan to convert the set to full dual standard operation in due course (the set already has a 405-625 line timebase).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cyldon PC80 VHF tuner data.pdf (1.33 MB, 453 views)
Old 23rd Sep 2017, 5:45 pm   #55
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Here's an extract from the Plessey data sheet for their rather more reliable PM1 pushbutton VHF tuner, as fitted in many Pye/Ekco/Dynatron dual standard valve TVs. In this data sheet, the fifth pushbutton is shown as operating the UHF-VHF changeover slider switch (on the tuner itself).

The version used in Pye/Ekco/Dynatron dual standard valve TVs had four pushbuttons, for Bands 1 and 3. The UHF/VHF slider switch on the PM1 tuner was operated separately (usually by a Bowden cable).

However, in the Pye 4311U export (CCIR only) TV I have, the five position PM1 tuner is fitted, again for Bands 1 & 3 only, with UHF-VHF selection by a Bowden cable.

These tuners are continuously variable inductance types, as favoured (and made by) Bush (e.g. TV105/115/125 series).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Plessey PM1 VHF tuner data.pdf (1.63 MB, 75 views)
Old 23rd Sep 2017, 9:35 pm   #56
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Back in 1963 I bought a 19" Regentone model 194 "convertible" TV set from a wholesaler in Newcastle. The set gave good service up to 1968 when it was replaced by a KB VC51 set. The Regentone 194 was one of the last sets to be made by the firm. The chassis was the one that employed two ECH84 triode-heptodes in the timebases. Anyway, during the course of the sets' service the Cyldon PC80 packed in and it was replaced by a Plessey PC1 tuner supplied by the service department of the owner of the Regentone brand, CRTS Regent Works, Sidcup, Kent. The new tuner was much better both mechanically and electrically than the old PC80, in fact so good that ITV could be received on channel 10 from the Emley Moor transmitter more than 100 miles away.

DFWB.
Closed Thread